Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADZOOKS View Post
Can someone who DOESN'T read comics books give me their opinion before I invest in this film?
I will have you know that I have never spent a cent on comic books in my life!
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADZOOKS View Post
Can someone who DOESN'T read comics books give me their opinion before I invest in this film?
I thought it was a good movie, and this is coming from a guy who NEVER watches movies under any circumstances. SO BEFORE YOU FLAME ME, I THOUGHT IT WAS AN AIGHT MOVIE.

I thought the costumes, environment, and cgi was all very well done. I only have a few little beefs with it here and there.

I thought the movie sort of lost steam after about an hour in and never really regained much of it. At the end I was like, "That's it? But I thought this, this, and that was gonna go down!"

At the same time, the movie was rather predictable.

Also, everything was in slow motion. EVERYTHING. It wasn't a bad thing or anything, just an over used card.

This isn't really a bad thing or anything but, everything was ripped. All the spartans were hella ripped. The bad guy was ripped. Children were ripped. A hunchback in the movie was ripped, even the hump on his back had a six pack. Kudos to the training the actors must of had to do.

I don't really have too many bad things to say about it. I enjoyed the movie and all, but kids were just trying to tell me, "ITS GUNNA BE BETTER THAN BRAVEHEART AND GLADIATOR!!" It had a lot of hype that it couldn't really fulfill in my opinion.

With all this said, once again, I enjoyed this movie and it was worth the 9 bucks or whatever I paid to see it. I wouldn't see it again until dvd though.

*SPOILERS*

Quote:
Slow motion doggy style sex, lol, my buddy and I bursted out laughing. I'm sorry, the slow motion thing was OVER USED. I don't need to see slow motion doggy style to know how cool it is.
Quote:
The battle with the big troll/orge thing was the shit! I thought this was really the best part of the movie. I thought shit was gonna happen after this, but nothing really did. This is my point about where the movie lost steam. I was expecting more 1-on-1 battles like this. More "mini bosses" if you will. Instead it was just hordes of men that you knew the Spartans could kill easily. What was the point in the big crab guy with blades for hands? Why couldn't they have fought him? Xerces? He got off easy. What about the deformed retard?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM       
it wouldn't have been historically accurate to have them fight, mattjack.

you think you can rewrite history or something? you so good? huh? fucking smug jerk.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM       
"i wish the king would have fucked up that creepy xerxes guy!!!!! lol that would have been so sweet and he culd have liek cut his hed off or sumthin"

That was very funny. Well done.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM       
I hate this movie already.

Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM       
they should of had leonidus battle bush at the end!!!
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM       
lol Kahl I know, a lot of it wasn't historically accurate obviously. I wasn't expecting a history channel special. I just wanted more "boss" fights. Is that so much to ask? AND YES I AM TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY AS WE SPEAK! IT'S JUST NOT GOING AS WELL AS I THOUGHT

Zomboid, yea I pretty much wish that shit happened(EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT DIDNT HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE OR RL TO YOU). Just with less 14 year old girl speak, you fruit. I'm sorry if you got butthurt.

Is it wrong to want to see an 8 foot Persian that is suppose to be a total badass fight a 6 foot Spartan that is a total badass? All you fucking hear in the movie is "Xerces this, Xerces that!" Then you see the guy and he has more sugar in his tank than my last boss's car.

Wait, you're Canadian, so your opinion is automatically void.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM       
Yeah, well, the next time you hear of a major studio planning on making a historical epic, even one based on a comic book with creative liberties, maybe you should write in and suggest more "boss fights".

If you're an accurate representation of the typical American, then I am more proud than ever to be Canadian.

Role Assigner
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM       
Yea, they should just call me up next time and I'll iron the shit out realllll good. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, stop getting butthurt. I was just saying it lost steam about half way through in my opinion because of x, y, and z.

In reguards to the typical American thing. I only wear clothes that have either an American flag design to them, an American flag on them, or the phrase "Git Er Dun!" on them. Nickleback is my favorite band. I only eat hamburgers. I drive an SUV and vote republican every chance I get. But enough about me, I don't want to ruin the 300 thread. Just put in a differing opinion.
The Wolf
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM       
Your opinion included the suggestion that the movie needed more "boss fights". That's why I'm laughing at you. Had you simply said it lost steam or something, fine, but you sound like a 12 year old who gets a boner at the sight of any violence.

PS - Nickelback? You realize they're Canadian, right? It's very unfortunate but true.

Role Assigner
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM       
lol GEEZE IM SORRY IM A TOOL.
I just said boss fights for a lack of a better term, I mean it isn't that hard to understand and we both know what I'm talking about. I can see where I would sound 12 though .

I don't quite get the "boner at any sight of violence" really. I just felt that it wasn't a big deal for these 300 elite Spartan men to kill hordes of regular, subpar fighters that you knew couldn't even come close to handling the Spartans. Thus after, I don't know, the first 2 or 3 times they did it, it got kind of old.

I also don't understand why you keep getting so butthurt over some silly American's opinion. I never even heard of 300 until this movie came out. I was just a simple movie goer who heard this movie was going to be the next Gladiator and that it was based on some comic/graphic novel. I'm sorry I didn't just eat it up because it is the cool thing to do and because I'm suppose to.

Once again though, I thought it was an aight movie. It is certainly better than any movie that has came out recently and it will be better than any movie that is supposed to come out in the near future. I'm on your side buddy, quit getting so upset.

Fuck, I thought only America could produce a suck as strong as Nickleback. Sorry, I've given away my cover, I know nothing about that shitbag band.
The Wolf
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM       
Has it crossed your mind that maybe I'm just dragging this out to make you look more and more like a douchebag every time you say "butthurt"?

Seriously though, it's more about the fact that you're acting like it's lord of the rings or some shit. Yeah, it's based on a comic book, but even that was pretty fucking grounded in reality. You're not gonna have a whole lot of ogres and dragons in ancient greece.

I don't care whether you like the movie or not, I didn't help make it or anything, I just find it funny that you say you heard it's "the next gladiator", then you bitch about there being a lack of "boss fights" and tougher enemies when it's supposed to be at least somewhat historically accurate.

dipshed
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM       
Yeesh, I'm going to see Black Snake Moan instead.

You blew it guys, I'm sorry, but you blew it.

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM       
I think I'm gonna change MattJack's title to STUPID TOOL.
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM       
disregard the circle jerking above GADZOOKS this movie fucking rocks

i dont know why everybody always has to disect a film and point things out. yes, they used slow motion. yes, it's unrealistic. but its a hardcore movie man

also i didnt read the graphic novel
The Wolf
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:34 AM       
Gadzooks I really don't know where your attitude is coming from . My argument with the douchebag has nothing to do with the movie itself and I don't know why you seem to be getting the impression that everyone in the thread is a huge fucking dork who's trying dissect the movie and compare it to the comics or something. I downloaded the comics (there's 5 of them) a few months ago after seeing the trailer so I could get a sense of what the movie would be like and it was pretty similar. THE END.

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM       
I hate (serious/actiony) comic books. I hate movies like this.

Holy moses, this movie stinks!

Seriously its all I'M A BIG DUDE I'M GONNA TALK ALL BIG ABOUT FIGHTING AND DEATH AND HONOR AND I'M A STUPUID JERK AND THEN 20 MINUTES LATER I'M GONNA FIGHT IN SLOW MOTION A LOT

Like it expects you to come in already liking this character so it doesn't do anything to set up WHY you are supposed to like this character. It's like watching a sequel or something kinda. I vaguely felt the same feeling when watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST: You only really give a shit becuase it's jesus and you're supposed to already like jesus and know everything about jesus. It's kinda like that here.

Also it's ugly to look at. It's like they took a perfectly good-looking movie and ran it through a computer to make it look like the film is coated in diareah. I really hate any movie that looks like this. It's supposed to be stylized and cool but it just screams THIS IS A MOVIE to me the entire time, and I can't get into it.

The violence is really fucking boring. I guess if you like cartoonish looking blood splotches floating around the screen, you'll like this. The slow-mo doesn't help make it look good either. If there wasn't any slow-mo, The movie would be 25 minutes long, which I wouldn't mind.

There's a few titties, but they are really stupid. I hated the titties in this movie. The first sex scene in it is completely ridiculous and stupid. Boring also.

They showed that blade-armed mutant and I was like "that looks kinda neat" but he doesn't do anything in the fucking movie. Litterally, his time in the movie is the same ammount of time he had in the trailer.

The music was really terrible. I think hearing dumb butt-rock play while a bunch of perfectly-chiseled greek men with perfect abs march in unison is the opposite of what I want to hear, as well as see

It is loud and ugly and boring and stupid I really hate it. THUMBS DOWN.
dipshed
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM       
THANK YOU JIXBY FOR THE GREAT REVIEW

Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM       
Well I liked it. I was disappointed that the blade armed fatty and the mutant hunchback weren't killed.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM       
Funny parts of the movie:

When I-forget-who gets cat eyes like cat jesus at the end of GARFIELDS NINE LIVES SPECIAL

Xerxes voice is ridiculous

those were the best parts!
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips View Post
Like it expects you to come in already liking this character so it doesn't do anything to set up WHY you are supposed to like this character. It's like watching a sequel or something kinda. I vaguely felt the same feeling when watching PASSION OF THE CHRIST: You only really give a shit becuase it's jesus and you're supposed to already like jesus and know everything about jesus. It's kinda like that here.
Yeah something about the movie just really tried its damn hardest to make me feel all giddy inside. In the end I felt like I blew 10 dollars off watching a boy's fantasy WAH WAH "comic -> movie TRANSLATION" but man, it must've been a cringe-fest looking through the comic. Super hyped too!
__"Offff all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"Loook, its a signature.'why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?'CaboooseSports is dead, I'm his freakin ghost, deal with it.iThe following sentance is true....
The above statement was false....
Mocker
Mr. Vagiclean is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM       
a SERIOUS boy fantasy but a boy's fantasy nevertheless

boytasy :{
__"Offff all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"Loook, its a signature.'why are there six pedals if there are only four directions?'CaboooseSports is dead, I'm his freakin ghost, deal with it.iThe following sentance is true....
The above statement was false....
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:24 AM       
I don't like movies like this. I saw it in IMAX and everything. The drama and dialogue is so forced and cheesy

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM       
SPOILER MAYBE
I wanted them to fight the crab man.

/SPOILER

Otherwise this movie was bad as shit.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM       
Although people like Jixby and his hangers-on will probably roll their eyes and groan if they read this; I thought it was good for what it was.

It's not going to go down in history for being the finest film ever made but I think it achieved what it set out to achieve; fantastic visuals (the scene with the boats in the storm looked incredible), stylish combat sequences and even a bit of historical content thrown in.
I agree that they didn't go into the back story as much as they perhaps should but I think a lot of people already did know who Leonardus was and even what he was going to do and how it was going to end. Be it from the graphic novel, school history lessons, or the film "The 300 Spartans".

I didn't like the delivery of some of the quotes ("with this shield or on it", "Come and get them" etc.) but overall I think the historical aspect of it was handled well, in that it wasn't given too higher a precedence but was referenced.

Overall I enjoyed it, but they certainly could've done more with the story.