Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:44 AM        Weekly Comic Review: The Punisher Meets Archie
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Comic Review: The Punisher Meets Archie.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM       
Definitely a musthave if you're a fan of Frank's; perhaps it's also worth having just so you can own a comic where (spoiler) he gets a happy ending for once!
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:09 AM       
There's got to be a better way to phrase that.

Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM       
I would add "it does NOT involve some kind of Punisher/Archie slash fic", then.
The Claw of Justice
Captain Seamus is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM       
I've always been mildly interested in this. I saw a copy of it the first time I went to Comic-Con, stared at it for a few confused seconds, and put it back, vainly hoping I hadn't lost my precious sanity. Kinda wish I had gotten it now.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM       
The Punisher meets Archie? Really? That's freaking hilarious!
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM       
This is the only Archie comic I've ever owned or read. I liked the Marvel guy's original idea better. I believe they wanted Archie characters to be brutally murdered and the Punisher had to kill the culprit, but they settled for this.
Forum Virgin
DrewP is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM       
Of course I have both covers for the issue. I thought they were different stories (one being from Archie's POV, and the other being from the Punisher's POV)but nope.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM       
I try to forger this ever happened.
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM       
This comic is a childhood favourite of mine. I was actually an avid Archie reader as a kid, and I still read them sometimes today (laugh all you want. I don't give a shit).

For the record, there are now "New Dynamic Look" Archie stories that are drawn in a more realistic style and have more serious and modern sensibilities.

They're a separate continuity from the regular stories, and are not meant to be a total permanent change, just an occasional dip into a more modern style. They can be found in certain Archie digest magazines along with more traditional Archie stories, but get collected into graphic novels soon after completion.

You might want to try those for your next review.
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM       
Dear God no.
Julio is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM       
Oddly enough, The Punisher (the 2004 film) was aired last night on a local channel.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 01:18 AM       
oh man how come they haven't made a live-action Archie movie, get with it film producers
Shinobi Hero
Joe Musashi is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM       
Heh, I remember reading this comic. I found it pretty interesting. I wish I hadn't lost my copy though...
Forum Virgin
peh_ is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:00 AM       
I think there is a copy of this languishing in my mom's basement. I remember it coming out but nothing else. Mockings of "Comic Book Guy" types echoing in my head... As a suggestion, in the headers you guys should note when these movies/video games/albums/comics were released. Would help to place an easy context on a review and save a Wikipedia lookup for us lazy sorts... However apparently I'm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Meets_the_Punisher) not lazy enough. This was released in 1994, which makes sense considering the whore that Marvel was at the time. I'm surprised there wasn't a limited edition holo cover variant to commemorate the importance of this important (With trading card!) meeting.
Former Virgin
Chuggernaught is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM       
What do you suppose the odds would be on an Archie vs. Punisher death match?

Would it be a furturma style 0:1000 for Archie? Where a bet of $0 earns you $1000 if Archie wins? Would there still be very few takers?
King of the Monsters
Primortal is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM       
It's a hilarious look at different styles and outlooks in the comic world, and for the most part it does a decent job of playing off the absurdity of it all, yet doing a good job at running with this idea. The Punisher feels obviously out of place in the quaint little world of Archie, and poor Archie almost soils himself when confronted by the (90's-era) violence of the Punisher.

To make a long story short (too late) they manage to do a pretty good job with an absurd concept. Can only imagine (and slightly shiver) at the thought of a new crossover between the characters, with the MAX-style Punisher especially.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM       
I think I remember when this came out. As I was not a Punisher fan (and still am not), I don't think I picked it up, but then, I have boxes of comics upstairs. Maybe I'll have to go diving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
oh man how come they haven't made a live-action Archie movie, get with it film producers
And actually, back in the early 90's, they did. Granted, it was a made-for-TV movie that I never watched, but I remember *wanting* to see it because it was Archie.

Archie: To Riverdale and Back Again
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM       
Archie couldn't take punisher. Now Jug-head... that's a match made in hell! Just look at that mo-fo! You know he's got mad skillz.
King of the Monsters
Primortal is probably a spambot
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 12:50 AM       
funny enough i was always curious as to whether or not they would've EVER have made that Wolverine Meets Jug-head crossover.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 03:59 AM       
they're both the best at what they do