Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:56 AM       
Apparently Vince thinks people should believe in God "just in case."

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:59 AM       
No, condescending little witch, I don't think people should believe in God "just in case". God isn't a safety net or a mulligan you can use whenever shit happens. People who are comfortable in the fact that they believe there is no god or judge after you die should examine their life and see if they truly believe that. If they do, they should be able to accept the conquences for such a belief if in fact they are wrong. If my belief is incorrect and there is no God or Higher Power, then I am not punished for it; I just cease to be. If they are wrong... well, hope they like damnation.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM       
That sounds to me like the basis of your faith lies in hedging your bets. And, dim as you are, you think you've figured out a clever little win/win scenario.

How about this? Are you, in your idea of what it means to be a good Christian, prepared to face the 'conquences' (You've used that made up word several times now, I can only assume you think that's what the word actully is) if you're wrong? If the Mulsims are right, and you are wrong... well, hope you like damnation. Talk about condecending.

Moreover, many Christians believe the morality of your behavior in thought and deed is equally, if not more important than your simplistic statement that you 'believe' in Jesus. If they're right... well, hope you like damnation.

Me? I'm agnostic and have no preconception of what the afterlife might hold or if there is one. I try as best I can to treat others as I'd like to be treated, to help those less fortunate than I am, and to address mean spirited punks with the only proper response, laughter. If the all mighty creator of the universe is so perverse as to damn a man for all eternity for that, than Heaven is no place for decent people anyway.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:18 PM       
Vince, if we would meet God and realize he actually exists, he would propably forgive us, because being God, he KNOWS, that the Bible is hard to believe, because it's just a book, and that there is NO physical evidence that he really does exist. Being the all-loving God he's supposed to be, he would KNOW and UNDERSTAND this. m'kay?

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:34 PM       
It doesnt sound like you are too confident in that belief, Spectre. You are putting trust in a belief system that really has no merit on the human belief that God will "forgive" you for not believing when in almost every single religion, God frowns upon non-belief in His existance. And I'm not even refering to the Bible in this instance. The Ten Commandments states that God is the one True God, and that is plain and simple. Worship of anything else that takes away from His place in existance is not allowed, PERIOD. Three of the 5 major religions in the world follow that rule. God makes it known in texts that He is the One and Only, and belief in Him is mandatory.

I know it is real simplistic, but hey, most things that are far-reaching are.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM       
see? This is why people call you an idiot.

It's written in texts. You know? Paper sheets with words on them? Words that could just as easily be written by normal humans pulling shit from their asses? Exactly. Religion was made because people needed at least some rudimentary explanation as to how the world worked, and also, lateron the rulers needed to keep the populace in line, thusly using religion as a tool of controll, by making them believe that they would go to hell etc. if they didn't live their lives like THEY told them to.

Jesus wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't know any better.

Now, Buddhism, there's a religion. In Buddhism, you can do basically anything as you pursue enlightenment. In Buddhism, there is no such thing as 'hell', just another life untill you find enlightenment. And if you don't, well, make the best of it I say.

If God is all-loving and knowing and omnipresent and omnipotent, he KNOWS that he can't hold us not believing in him against us, because he KNOWS that there is no physical evidence of him existing in our world, apart from some shoddy texts which could have easily been written by humans and that have no true evidence of even having anything to DO with him.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:47 PM       
Where is your proof that religion was made for people to understand how the world works? Isn't that found in texts as well? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Buddhism isn't really a religion as it is a philosophy. Of all the religions that are around, it is the mainstream one I usually brush aside. Call me an elitist, but there are WAY too many loopholes and flaws in basic design that get me for taking it any more than that it is what the eastern world has grown up with so it doesn't really know any better because it fits with all the doom and gloom no material possession lifestyles they live.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
Vince, if you would switch your brain on and think for a second, what other explanation could there be that early relegions were for people to understand how the world worked? Imagine a caveman, and suddenly, lightning strikes in a tree, causing it to fall over and catch fire. He gets closer, puts his hand in the fire, and realizes that it hurts. He gets a hold of a branch that has not been totally set aflame, and takes it home, where he proceeds to warm his family with it.

Now, don't you think that if you were a caveman (not that hard for you to imagine, just go about your everyday bussiness) and if suddenly a bright flash of light would come down from the sky and turn a previous tree into something that could help your family survive the cold night, wouldn't that seem ike some unearthly occurance?
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Where is your proof that religion was made for people to understand how the world works? Isn't that found in texts as well? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Quote:
Buddhism isn't really a religion as it is a philosophy. Of all the religions that are around, it is the mainstream one I usually brush aside. Call me an elitist, but there are WAY too many loopholes and flaws in basic design that get me for taking it any more than that it is what the eastern world has grown up with so it doesn't really know any better because it fits with all the doom and gloom no material possession lifestyles they live.
You're shitting on Buddhim for its loopholes and design flaws? The Bible is nothing but loopholes and design flaws.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:03 PM       
Cavemen weren't worrying about where the hell fire came from, they were worrying about day to day survival. That is, however, if you believe in what we consider "caveme". Besides, with all the different cavemen around, how would they organize basic belief structures that were complex throughout, like the Torah? It seems pretty far-fetched that a couple of tribes got together and made up all this stuff for the sake of doing so.

And pj, your first question will be ignored becuase if you are too stupid to read, then you are too stupid to be acknowledged.

Your second statement, however, is easily settled. Look at the "proof" of all the various religions. Buddhism doesn't have a lot of proof that is based in history. Judaism/Christianity/Islam has more proof based on history. If someone duplicated the above religions today, there would be more witnesses to what happened instead of the few that were around now. But, if someone were to duplicated Buddhism, they would be laughted at and treated the same as someone who believed in Scientology.

Buddhism is like Scientology but with a major head start in history.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM       
Where is your proof that there is loopholes in the three major world religions? Isn't that also in texts?

Christinanity isn't so much a religion as it is a doctrinarian. Of all the religions that are around, and like I just said it is not a religion, but of all the religions that are around if you call it one which it isn't, it is the mainstream one (though, remember, it isn't one) I usually brush aside. Call me an elitist, but there are WAY too many loopholes and flaws in basic design that get me for taking it any more than that it is what the Western world has grown up with so it doesn't really know any better because it fits with all the I'm right about everything all the time so you go to hell for all eternity while i play a harp and wear a white robe i love moola xenophobic lifestyles we live.

And plus which, howcome no one is understnd me or pretending that they don't when I speak clear engish tht anyone with a IQ points over 23 could understand the truthisms of which?

Dumbass.
Mocker
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM       
Quote:
And pj, your first question will be ignored becuase if you are too stupid to read, then you are too stupid to be acknowledged.
Vince, reading your posts can very seldom actually be called 'reading'. 'Interpreting the abstract' would be a more fitting description.

Quote:
Your second statement, however, is easily settled. Look at the "proof" of all the various religions. Buddhism doesn't have a lot of proof that is based in history. Judaism/Christianity/Islam has more proof based on history. If someone duplicated the above religions today, there would be more witnesses to what happened instead of the few that were around now. But, if someone were to duplicated Buddhism, they would be laughted at and treated the same as someone who believed in Scientology.
What you're talking about here is not 'loopholes and design flaws'. What you're talking about is historical proof. A design flaw would be a god who's all powerful and infallible and still manages to create a race that was so different from what he had planned that he had to kill them all. Then he afterwards admitted he kinda overreacted. Then, five thousand years later, he decides that he messed the basic rules up and changes them mid-game by sending Jesus to Earth.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM       
Vinth sounds pretty uncomfortable in his belief. What else would explain this obsession with 'proof', when faith is perfectly valid without any proof at all? I can only see his scrabbling around for proof as an indication he's uneasy in his faith.

That being said, GET WITH THE PROGAM, PJALNE! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CAVEMENS NOW!

Or, what people think of as being 'caveme'.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:21 PM       
Vince, you, being as intelligent as you claim to be, should know that even a few millennia before Christ, after agriculture was invented, and when life wasn't as hard when cavemen roamed the earth (oh, and you WOULD be fucking surprised if you were a caveman and the sky set a tree on fire, resulting in a very rudimentary religion etc. it's not that hard to imagine really) and people were more intelligent, things of nature STILL surprised people, and making them want answers, which they invented when someone finally said "Oy! I think this all happens 'cause some guy on a throne up there makes it happen!" after which they told members of other tribes which they met, and who thought "Hey, that's actually a very reasonable explanation." and went and told his tribe members etc. and so forth resulting in an organised religion.

Also, what you are arguing is, is that people who worshop religions that are millennia older than Christianity and the Islam, and Judeaism are also going to hell for worshipping a religion that was there before Christianity and all those other religions, just because they refuse to believe in a ratther poorly put together big fat book about some guy in the air doing all kinds of stuff.

So, in effect, the ONLY religion that could possibly be true, would have to be the FIRST religion ever, because the people who invented it may have seen God him/her/itself or something to that effect. And NOT Christianity, simply because it's a lot older, and thusly more trustworthy.

Hell Vince, even in Roman times etc. in places where there weren't any organized religions, but still fairly intelligent people, were making up new religions and stuff because they needed something to explain all the bad and good things that happened to them. Because it's just difficult to believe that something is more your fault than someone else's.

Also, what baout tribes in Africa, who have NEVER, EVER even heard about Jesus Christ and Jehova and Allah and stuff. Do they go to hell just because noone ever introduced them to their religion?
Mocker
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Vinth sounds pretty uncomfortable in his belief. What else would explain this obsession with 'proof', when faith is perfectly valid without any proof at all? I can only see his scrabbling around for proof as an indication he's uneasy in his faith.
I was going to point that out, but I'm pretty sure that Vince only skims paragraphs longer that four lines. I had to cut something, so

Oh, and caveme? If I was a caveman and a bolt of lightning put a tree on fire I would think it was some god or something similar.

Quote:
Besides, with all the different cavemen around, how would they organize basic belief structures that were complex throughout, like the Torah? It seems pretty far-fetched that a couple of tribes got together and made up all this stuff for the sake of doing so.
Are we sure Vince isn't a character?

Three or four cavemen didn't sit down and make a religion up. Religions evolved over hundreds or thousands of years. For someone who kind of studied religion, you sure don't have much of a grasp around the basic principles.

EDIT: Too slow, Spectre got to the bone before me.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjalne
Oh, and caveme? If I was a caveman and a bolt of lightning put a tree on fire I would think it was some god or something similar.
THANK YOU!
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM       
Quote:
No, condescending little witch...
Little witch? I like that.
Quote:
I don't think people should believe in God "just in case". God isn't a safety net or a mulligan you can use whenever shit happens.
I meant "just in case" he exists and damns one for not believing, not "just in case" one needs his help.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM       
Quote:
Also, what baout tribes in Africa, who have NEVER, EVER even heard about Jesus Christ and Jehova and Allah and stuff. Do they go to hell just because noone ever introduced them to their religion?
From what I've heard heathens who have not been exposed to the word of God but lead otherwise moral lives go to Limbo, the very outskirts of Hell, where they are just bored and sad for all eternity instead of tormented.

Anyway, back to belief for the sake of covering your ass after you die...the problem is that Christianity preaches so much temperance, abstinence, and spiritual over worldly growth, that if you take it to heart, you miss out on a lot of opportunities to enjoy real life, and then, if you die and discover that there is no afterlife, you've wasted your entire existence waiting for a fairy tale.

I put my bet on the earthly side. At least I know plenty of interesting people who will be in Hell with me if I'm wrong.

I want to get that made an official emoticon...heheh
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Most of them are kiwi's too on "mission". I wish they would stay in NZ.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM       
Hey, does anyone remember that Farside comic with Colonel Sanders standing at the Pearly Gates and there's a giant chicken statue?

I think that comic would fit perfectly in this thread.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM       
WHAT THAT GOT DO WIF CAVEMANS, CHIMP?

oh, wait. I get it.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:25 PM       
Can we go back to making fun of Mormons and suggesting that Jeanette get naked and take pictures of herself scaring the mormons?
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:32 PM       
Quote:
God isn't a safety net or a mulligan you can use whenever shit happens. People who are comfortable in the fact that they believe there is no god or judge after you die should examine their life and see if they truly believe that. If they do, they should be able to accept the conquences for such a belief if in fact they are wrong. If my belief is incorrect and there is no God or Higher Power, then I am not punished for it; I just cease to be. If they are wrong... well, hope they like damnation.
Vinth, if God is truly the forgiving being that it is claimed to be, then answer me this. Say there is a man who does everything right in life. He gives to charity, helps out at homeless shelters, cares for his family, and is generally the nicest person anyone can find. However, he also happens to be an agnostic. Is he damned to an eternity in hell because of one tiny "design flaw"?

P.S. Vinth, that sound you hear that is much like a train collision is your belief system crashing to a halt.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:49 PM       

Ask and you shall recieve, so sayeth the Immortal Goat!
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM        God
Quote:
Buddhism doesn't have a lot of proof that is based in history.
Um.....really? Do share your plethora of "proof" on this subject.

Specter....I've been laughing at your posts....almost word for word what I have said over and over.

I've always felt that faith is PERSONAL and that anyone who is secure in their faith doesn't need to get all riled up over it. Those that do are just affraid that they are wrong. Then they turn to trying to make other think like them. CONVERT DAMN YOU CONVERT As if more believers will make the belief "right".