Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
His idiotic radio show has been around for 15 years. People must like it.
How long has Howard Stern been on the air? See people like to listen to stupid jackasses say stupid jackassy things.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM       
Quote:
His idiotic radio show has been around for 15 years. People must like it.
Coronation Street has been on for 43 years. Guess it's the best thing on television, then.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM        ARGH
I just don't understand why race is such a qualifier......

I heard the comments for the first time this morning (I had read them previously - but seeing the actual clip was "enlightening") and all I kept thinking was.....

Saying "I don't think he is such a great quarterback." would have been just as effective.
The fact that race was brought up does indeed show a biggoted attitude.

Now, his reasons MAY be valid, that the media wants a black quarterback to do well, but when you make a comment like that it really is nothing more than the pot calling the kettle...um....wow...that was a bad analogy....but you get the point.

I guess it just bothers me because if I don't like someone or think that have no talent it never even crosses my mind what race or sex or orientation they are. I'm actually stunned whenever it is brought up. Especially when I am told I can't dislike them because of it. Um...huh?
But then...it wasn't until highschool that I figured out that my being attracted to women actually bothered people.
Guess I grew up sheltered.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:53 AM       
Quote:
FS, why is Rush Limbaugh a bad human being? For pointing out things that you would rather not deal with?
No, for pointing out things that should have no bearing in either direction. Yes, we can all see what race someone is. It just shouldn't color our judgement of them.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:55 AM       
Quote:
FS, why is Rush Limbaugh a bad human being? For pointing out things that you would rather not deal with?
"I don't have to defend my claims.

I'm just using liberal arguments. I am shamelessly attacking someone I do not like. So thus, I should be correct."

No, I actually don't think this quote of Limbaugh's is reason enough for him to resign, though I think the quote itself says plenty about his persona. Plus I think the comment displays a conflict of interest between sports and politics. I guess Rush can't open his mouth for too long before getting on his old soapbox, but he's certainly not the first. Anyway, I see the comment as an attack on the - in Rush's eyes no doubt horribly leftist - media and not so much on McNabb himself. McNabb was just said to be overrated. The media were said to overrate {him} because he's black. You shouldn't dig deeper than you have to to track down racism.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:02 PM       
So when sports people talk about Martha Burk's desire to change the admissions requirements for a private golf club, that isnt politically motivated?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:07 PM       
Okay, first of all, who's outraged? I've only read a few stories so far, and they report what's happened, but I don't see any particular outrage. I know I'm not outraged.

I think there are very low level racial assumptions (ie the press must have overrated this guy on account of his being black, as opposed to the wirters actually thinking he was good). Nothing very impressive in the world of gaffs.

I think it was dumb, not because he said anythiung so wrong, but becuase he didn't know that something that never would have even been notcied on his show would get this much attenion on ESPN.

I also think he's a quitter. This was supposed to be hi life DREAM, and what, has he even been doing it a month and he's quitting? ESPN backed him as far as I can tell. No apology, no retraction, nada. So where' the 'punishment'? He couldn't take the heat and he fled te kitchen. End of story.

Sound like anyone you know, Vinth?

I save my outrage for things that mtter to me. I wouldn't waste it on a right wing fatty who says things I routinely think are stupid doing something stupid. I'm mildly amused it happened this quick, and that's all. Read all the outrage in that you like. If he hadn't quit, this story would be almost over already. This will give it one more days legs, and then Rush will talk about it on his show and give it some miore legs.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:15 PM        Yup
Quote:
I think there are very low level racial assumptions (ie the press must have overrated this guy on account of his being black, as opposed to the wirters actually thinking he was good).
That pretty much sums it up.
It can't be that the writers may actually think he is good. Just because Rush thinks he isn't then the writers must be pushing him 'cause he is black.

Thanks Max....I was trying to find a way to put that into words and was failing.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:26 PM       
No problem. It's hardly outrageous. Just narcissitic and ignorant.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:28 PM       
Everyone is talking about this, Max. It's been on every channel under the sun. Talk Radio is talking about it. It's a non-story, but because Rush Limbaugh said it, its a huge freaking deal.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:38 PM        Um
Hey, I just noticed something else about this....something completely obvious I'm sure....

But, doesn't it seem that this in a way this is more about Rush's ego than anything else. I mean he really seems to think that his OPINION is fact. And that if anyone disagrees with him it isn't because they have a different OPINION it has to be for some other more sinister reason.

Hmmmm.......
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:40 PM       
I absolutely agree, it's a non story. I couldn't be less interested. But read the stories if you can stand the boredom. They're pretty outrage free. They boil down to: "Huh. That was dumb. I'm kind of surprised he did dumb thing like that so soon. Oh, he quit. Did somone make him?"

The only 'outrage' is coming from dufus's like you who are outraged by their perception that other poeple are outraged. Me? Not outraged. You think this story is getting so much play becuase of Politics? I think it's cause Rush is a celebrity. I think this story deserves airtime exactly as much as the Ben n' Jen updates on my local news.

Don't care. Let me say it again, as a representative of the liberal community. DO NOT CARE. Mildly, very mildly amused. That's it. And talk radio is lock cock fitting. You don't like getting hit with blood and bird shit? Don't go.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:43 PM       
1) Why did ESPN hire Rush again? Oh, ya, to make boisterous, inflamatory statements. And when he does, ESPN forces his resignation?

2) Why is it wrong for him to say McNabb is overated (I totally disagree) because he is black ( again, disagree) but OK for other people to say that Jason Sehorn got so much attention because he was a the Great White Hope at cornerback?

3) McNabb has handled this with total class so far. Best line: "Philidelphia media gave me a break? Ya, thats a good one."

4) Think Mike Savage will get his job?

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:44 PM       
Hey Max, I saw it live as he said it. I didn't think anything of it until Tuesday. CNN carried the press confrence LIVE with Donovan McNabb while everyone else outside of Phili ignored it. This was a non-story that CNN grabbed because it was about Rush Limbaugh. They don't like him, so they went off on him.

Where was the big conference when Brent Barry won the 96 slam dunk contest and everyone made jokes about him being the "Great White Hope"?
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:54 PM       
So why does CNN report on Ben and Jen? Because they don't like them? They smelled a story that would make a lot of idiots clammer and they went for it. That's what they do. It sells adds. It's one of the reasosns journalism is a degraded profession these days. I know Newsmax would never do anything like that.

Media likes to build people up and then tear them don. They enjoy a rise, and they enjoy a fall. It's all E True Hollywood story, and any angle is as good as any other.

I think, (and I can only speak as a representative librral in lock step with all other liberals here) that 'great white hope' is exactly the sort of mildly stupid, mildly racist crap. If I were running CNN, I'd have... well, I wouldn't have covered either story, until Rush quit. But that's me and my lockstep talking.

El Blanco, is there some indication at this point ESPN forced anything? Cause fatty had a contract. And he just doesn't seem like the 'forced to resign' kind of fella. A quitter, sure. But a forced to resigner? Lets wait and see wht he has to say, and make sure to tell me because the ONLY interest I hve in this story is as a bizarre cultural artifact.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM       
Rush hasn't been fat in the last 2-4 years. Nice of you to bring that fact up.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:03 PM       
Good point, fatty.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:17 PM       
Okay, I went and read some of todays press on the subject.

Brace yourselves for something you're not going to believe.

I agree with Vince on this one. You heard me.

While I don't agree the medias attack is politically motivated, and that when they see blodd in the water they don't care who's it is, there is some VERY serious overreaction going on here, particularly from the Democratic presidential candidates and I'm ashmaed of them.

Not so much Al Sharpton, because this is his millieu and it would be uncharacteristic for him to ignore it. Besides, while I lik some of the issues Shrpton brings to the debate, I think he is a bufoon, a publicity whore, etc. etc.

But Dean and Clark should be ashamed. This is just gtting on a passing media train, and it's demeaning.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:28 PM        :O
I've lost the will to live..........
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM       
This is a sad day on I-mockery

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:11 PM       
Well, I'm pretty sure that at least Rush is happy with the situation.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:28 PM       
hey, i agreed with vince first! (not in so many words though) :/

the shocker for me is that rush quit.. its so out of character for him.
i'm curious what scared him into it.. change of heart? what?!

making a big deal out of it is odd as well.. the backlash about making this non-story into a story should have been predicted but they are running crazy on it.

that's it, i'm blacklisting this story
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:48 PM       
Oh, sure, Ranxer, you just say that becuase you're a lockstep liberal robo-....

Wait, what?

Hmmm. Food for thought here. What do you suppose it means when two lefty communists who just do what they're told by the liberal elite media and never think for themselves don't agree with their masters?

Oh, well. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything about anything.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:59 PM       
Quote:
Where is the outrage over what rap music has been doing to the young black community?

Yep, it's all that damn rap music's fault. Music made them do it. TV and movies made them do it. GTA Vice City or DOOM made them do it. It is NEVER the white man's fault for dragging them over here, keeping them ignorant for years, beating them, selling them, raping them, or lynching them. It was the media and their own choices that made them so militant and angry at us "whiteies".

oh, wait, uhh...
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:44 PM       
OK I officially hate this thread. I was just excited to see a sports related story getting this attention here. I don't even get up in time to see the pre-game shows.

Its fucking stupid. Why didn't Irving or Jackson say something at the time when it happened? Because it is fucking stupid. Rush was there to piss people off. Mission accomplished.

And I still want Savage to get his job...........................

Or Jimmy the Greek