Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM       
Lunar is amazing. I've only played the PS version Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. They remade it a couple of times and I can't vouch for the other ones though.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM       
I first rented the Sega CD version years ago, and it blew my young mind that there was suddenly partial nudity out of nowhere. Good times.

Playing STALKER: Shadow of Pripyat. It is a ton of fun. They took all the previous additions to the series and put them together in such a way that the game feels a lot less arbitrary about everything happening to you. The downside is that now there's no reason at all to replay the original.

With More Yes Than Ever
DougClayton4231 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:21 PM       
I hated the original Stalker. It was buggy, it ran like shit, and the enemy AI was completely random at times. I didn't like the first expansion either. I dunno if I should even bother with Pripyat.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM       
What I most enjoyed about the series was that sort of haunting isolation as you explore the wasteland, and they kept that for the sequels. Clear Sky was lame, but in Call of Pripyat they really cleaned up the major issues that really kept you from enjoying the game.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM       
Lunar is the shittiest RPG I've ever played. I figured it out after I got past the animated cut scenes.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM       
METROID OTHER M

Actually, the game's got a lot of things that annoy me. Sometimes, the game stops you, forces you in first person, and makes you look around until you look at the right thing. You need to move the cursor over it and press B, but you need to Hold B to look around. And they make you look at the tiniest fucking details. Like green blood on the ground (covered in green grass and brown dirt. Thanks!) or little brown bugs in a black corner of a dark purple room that's occupied 90% by a giant purple flower thing, which is much more important since IT'S THE GODDAMN BOSS.

The whole thing with the missles also pisses me off. Enemies take a lot of hits with the beam, and there were times where I wanted to pop off a few missles like any other Metroid. Pointing to shoot missles sucks, and not moving while you're doing that sucks even more, especially mid-fight.

Aside from that, I really like it. The cutscenes are fantastic and transition into gameplay really well. The game's really cinematic. Things are happening all the time. It's really cool. The story is also surprisingly good; not the next Great Gatspy, but Sakamoto's a guy who knows his Science Fiction.

With More Yes Than Ever
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM       
I hated the inventory system from Stalker. Did they completely remove that too?

I'm so jealous Phoenix. I won't be able to get Other M for a while.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM       
i was wondering to thosse who played the scott pilgrim game on ps3 did you encountered music stuttering or frezzes?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
has a woody
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM       
Yea. Certain levels make the music drop for me. Only in the parts with the giant boulders you need to dodge.

Just beat the main story of Other M. The game starts off kinda iffy, but man does it get fantastic at the end.
And then it just stops.
Surprisingly good story, with a lot of fantastic twists, but it kept ramping up and ramping up, and then it ended. At least it's VERY heavily rooted in Metroid fiction. Even Metroid II is a heavy influence in the game. Hell, the manga (which was accepted as canon by the series creator) has it's role as well. And when a character actually speaks words like "Tourian", you know this game is serious about its continuity.

But the cool thing is that after the credits, Samus goes back and you're in control again, trying to recover something for an epilogue mission. So maybe THAT will have a better finale. It's awesome to start running through everything again totally powered up.

Last edited by Phoenix Gamma : Aug 28th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Funky Dynamite
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 View Post
I hated the inventory system from Stalker. Did they completely remove that too?
You have an inventory, if that's what you mean. Help me out here, Doug.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM       
Blocks and space, I guess. Most games have one like that, though.

Playing Deathsmiles. Mega Black Label will fuck with your dreams.

With More Yes Than Ever
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
You have an inventory, if that's what you mean. Help me out here, Doug.
I hated the rapidly degrading weapons and the real-time inventory. I kept getting shot while I tried to change one busted gun for another. Is it less ridiculous in the new one?

I finally finished Fallout 3 with Broken Steel and man was that anti-climactic. I hope that New Vegas will be better.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM       
thats why you get them repaired
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 05:38 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvare View Post
i was wondering to thosse who played the scott pilgrim game on ps3 did you encountered music stuttering or frezzes?
Had that too. The music just pauses for a second or two every now and then.

Played some SH shattered memories yesterday. Pretty nice stuff somehow. I´m not really missing the battles, they were lame anyway. The whole psychology-stuff is pretty neat too but I guess it doesn´t change that much...what was it? The way some characters look?
has a woody
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 05:42 AM       
The way some characters look, some of the cutscenes, some of the places you go to...

I had to go through a bar with some kinky chicks, but my friend went through one that was cat themed. Another part in the school puts you in different classrooms with different puzzles depending on the answers. And the endings are all different too and based on your answers. Then it gives a fun little evaluation at the end.

drifting in the void
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM       
I think that´s a pretty cool way of handling these things
With More Yes Than Ever
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM       
Early in the game you can't afford to get anything repaired.

Metroid Other M is gorgeous, but the control scheme is absolutely retarded. To be honest, I would have rathered it be a 2.5D game (Meaning no movement in 3D but 3D environments.) The acting is atrocious, they need to stop letting Japanese people write scripts in English. The same problem was in Arc Rise Fantasia. They should just pay someone in America to write it for them.
has a woody
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM       
I think the controls work just fine until Missles are involved. The game does a great job of moving you with the curvature of a room so you're not messing with the D-pad (except in the really big rooms. Which aren't too often) and combat felt really good up until you need to use missles. If they had just used Minus to toggle missles (or even B. I think that's unused in 3rd person) then if could avoid a lot of it's problems. A nunchuck would have made the controls perfect, though, and add first person movement, but for some reason Sakamoto was really stubborn about just using the remote.

As for the acting...I've heard worse. Nothing even close to Oscar worthy, but I didn't hear any one voice that was offensively bad.

rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM       
brutal legend

i want to like this game so much, but it's so hard to tell what the fuck is going on. the humor is great, characters are great, controls are alright, but jesus fuck if i can tell where i am or where i'm going. the world really is fully realized as a heavy metal universe or whatever, but everything blends in. i drove by a "devil horn vine" thing and i most definitely did not see it, but eddie claimed he did. then i tried to go back and find it and it was impossible. everything blends in waaaaaay too much
With More Yes Than Ever
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM       
I hate how Samus repeats herself 85 times a cutscene. I.E. "the boat was red." Then two seconds later, "it was a flotation device with a reddish hue." It's really annoying.

I also hate the camera, it seems like it wants you to fail at times, like with the multiple worm boss.

You're completely right about the missiles Phoenix. I have no idea who was drinking heavily when they decided to do the whole first person perspective. It was a mistake, just like the lack of alternate control methods. At least they didn't use the balance board lol.
has a woody
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM       
Oh, I loved the camera. In the corridors it's perfect, and adds a lot of impact to some of the areas.

I don't remember a worm boss. But I already beat the game so I remember lots of bosses

The post-credits stuff is pretty cool, just running around collecting shit. And the whole time I was thinking "you know...it's not a Metroid game unless it has THIS thrown in. Kinda weird that they left it out." Then they totally threw it in at the very end, and I was happy :D

Got 56% on my first run through, which is the EXACT percentage I finish every Metroid with on my first try. It's kind of aggrevating that I never do better on my first go At least the game lets you load up your finished save and keep collecting.

Funky Dynamite
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougClayton4231 View Post
Early in the game you can't afford to get anything repaired.
They improved the pacing a lot. It's much easier to locate valuable artifacts and such to build up money, and you can get decent guns and armor much sooner that you normally would.

It's done so well I couldn't believe it was made by the same dev, but I guess a lot of the bugs have been taken care of since the game was initially released.

taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
brutal legend

i want to like this game so much, but it's so hard to tell what the fuck is going on. the humor is great, characters are great, controls are alright, but jesus fuck if i can tell where i am or where i'm going. the world really is fully realized as a heavy metal universe or whatever, but everything blends in. i drove by a "devil horn vine" thing and i most definitely did not see it, but eddie claimed he did. then i tried to go back and find it and it was impossible. everything blends in waaaaaay too much
pretty much how i started, but now i'm spoting bound serpents everywhere (also i don't get the claims about the difficulty) i don't wanna spoil anything but after you repair a certain bridge make your way to the bottom left of the third island and look for the greatest solo

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
With More Yes Than Ever
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
They improved the pacing a lot. It's much easier to locate valuable artifacts and such to build up money, and you can get decent guns and armor much sooner that you normally would.

It's done so well I couldn't believe it was made by the same dev, but I guess a lot of the bugs have been taken care of since the game was initially released.
Oh cool! I'll have to check it out, I always liked the concept of the Stalker games.

I've been playing the original Metroid Prime and I forgot how much I loved it.
drifting in the void
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM       
Finished Shattered Memories and Ar Tonelico 2 (finally). Liked both a lot.

I guess, I´ll start Yakuza 2 again tonight since I want to play the crippeled third one some day.