Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hay Ladiez! Howzit going?
BlueOatmeal is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM        Blu-Ray Burner FINALIZED
http://aving.net/sp_edition/default....ad&c_num=14946

The details ripped from engaget.

Finalized versions of Blu-ray hardware have been popping up all over the place lately, with Panasonic revealing the simple design of its DMP-BD10 player earlier this week, and now BenQ's BW1000 three-in-one burner shows up in both internal and external flavors, courtesy of AVING. In case you hadn't heard, the BW1000, or "Trio" (please don't sue, Palm, we promise we won't get confused), can read from/write to 25GB and 50GB Blu-ray discs, both DVD R and DVD-R (including dual-layer), and of course, the reliable old CD. Write speeds for BD-R and BD-RE discs are a bit pokey at 2x (but hey, what do you expect from new tech?), with DVDs clocking in at 12x (4x for DL, 8x/6x for DVD /-RW), and CDs burning at a zippy 32x (24x for CD-RWs). Nothing new as far as pricing or availability goes, so just enjoy the pics, m'kay?

I can't wait for this to come out. Then wait another 3 years for the price to drop to a reasonable amount. 9 gigs on a DVD just isnt enough anymore.

CALL ME! CALLL MEEE! WHY DON'T YOU CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!678-416-3492 How about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
What the fuck are you talking about? He loves da ladiez.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM       
I would be careful with buying blue ray technology just yet. They have rushed it to market because soon better solid state drives will be out. That will pretty much crush the market on blue ray, and just about anything else that involves a spinning disk.

However, if you are looking for a short term turnover investment, you might think about buying blue ray technology stock and then selling it right before solid state drives hit mainstream.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM       
what is a solid state drive ;<
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM       
e.g. a flash drive. A storage device with no moving parts.

They are mainly used for extremely expensive servers but attempts have been made to bring them to the enthusiast market with products such as the Gigabyte i-RAM.

Im not sure if Russo is correct about BlueRay and HD-DVD having solid state competitors *soon*, to me it seems CD based media still has a long life ahead of it (especially with technologies such as holographic disks which can store in the reigion of hungreds of GB).
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM       
I just think Blu-Ray will be crushed because of its unfarmiliarity to customers. It may pick up speed in the long run bet you never know.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM       
Yeah, my bad I was misinformed. I took a look at an article from January 2006 in the IEEE Spectrum and found this,
"Now consider the alternative: a garden-variety 60-GB hard-disk drive, which costs around $150. Even allowing that prices for flash memory will continue to drop about 35 percent annually, it will be seven years at least before you'll be able to buy 60 GB of raw NAND flash for a similar price. Next year, 200-GB hard-disk drives are expected to be available for less than $200. Hard-drive makers are switching over to the new perpendicular recording technology, which promises to cram at least 200 billion bits into each square inch, twice the density possible with current longitudinal writing technology. That promises to keep hard drives way ahead of flash drives in terms of density and price for years to come."

I particularly like the idea of solid state devices because they hold the potential to last much longer than devices with moving parts... but it seems they won't be viable in the foreseable future.

So, my bad!