Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM        so i'm thinking of voting republican
Lol posted it in the wrong forum.

I feel like a man without a party.

In the past I've generally been pretty vehemently Democrat because I was always disgusted by the stranglehold the so-called Christian Right has on the Republican party, and that the Republicans always seemed to be preoccupied with silly issues like evolution v. intelligent design, gay marriage, abortion and soforth. I thought the Republican platform was basically made up of these issues and there was no real substance there except fear and hate. That may have been true a few years ago, I dunno.

But since I've moved south and been inundated in conservative politics I've found myself being convinced by some of them. Well, convinced is the wrong word; I've found that these guys are often arguing for things I've believed in all along and thought the Democrats were for. In particular, I've started listening to talk radio, and I'm currently in Jacksonville, Florida, which is the nexus between Neal Boortz in Atlanta and Rush Limbaugh in South Florida. I guess it may just be because there's nothing here to listen to besides the so-called conservative talking heads (Here we get 3 hours of Boortz, followed by 3 hours of Limbaugh, followed by 3 hours of Hannity.)

This is scaring me a bit. I want to call myself a Libertarian but that still seems to have the ring of a dirty word to it. Most people don't seem to have even heard of Libertarians or if they have seem to think they're some kind of fringe thing. Plus, it's going to be a long time before a Libertarian candidate has a chance of winning the presidency.

I'm becoming jaded, I think. The Democrats lately are disgusting me, particularly in their inability to see Hillary for what she is. I think my fall from the party had to have been when Hillary tried to enact that measure to change how she voted on the Iraq war. That's pandering and spite on a level I can't comprehend.

On the other side, the Republican candidates still generally stand on issues that I'm generally on the other side of (gay marriage and the death penalty in particular.) Mitt Romney seems like he's gaining a lot of ground, but I think his Mormonism, for as much as he's trying to downplay it, is going to get in his way. I'm sure this is more prejudiced than I'd like it to sound, but I can't bring myself to trust Mormons. I don't trust people of high faith generally, but it takes a special kind of credulity to believe that Joseph Smith read the Truth from a fucking top hat with a magic rock. I think this is the opinion of a lot of people, even if they won't necessarily say so.

For as much as I'm at odds ideologically with Romney, I would prefer him to Hillary. But it's not gonna happen. So I'm scared, I suppose. I'm feeling lost. I'm not sure what my point in posting this was but I guess I'm ideologically shaken. People used to tell me that people tend to become more conservative as they grow older and I used to roll my eyes and think I'm gonna be a Democrat forever, and now I've realized how much that clashes with my opinions about how to approach things.