Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:54 PM       
The wizard isn't a videogame movie you deuce, it's just a movie that has a lot of videogames in it
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:59 PM       
i love the wizard, its so bad

anyway its good it hear that SH is good, but is it good good, or video game movie good?

Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM       
I just got back and it definately is good, and certainly good by video game movie standards.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM       
SH is better than a number of horror movies I've seen lately, truth be told.

no schims, no valtiel. keep in mind that this covers pretty much the first game only, despite the appearance of pyramid head, who was totally awesome by the way. especially what he does to that one cult member.

I also love how you can never really escape silent hill ;<
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM       
Fucking awesome. :D Also: For any of you upset by that cheesy "I am the reaper" line from the commericals: Fear not, it's better in context.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:08 AM       
Damnit My stupid heart whatsis prevents me from going today (I'm still supposed to be taking it slowly) But This weekend I will go. Somehow.

Valtiel is supposed to appear in name only. Hid name is in the credits

WTF is a Schim?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM       
it's what I call schimid during pillow talk
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:15 AM       
SO there was no In theater BJ, CS, or Quickie!? The movie was THAT GOOD!
Legislacerator
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:19 AM       
what are you talking about, you fag
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:26 AM       
Wait WTF does Eddie do in this movie!?!?!?
frunk as duck
Drunkenbrigade is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:27 AM       
OMG PRYRAMID HEAD ROX MY SOX!!11!

But seriously this movie is awesome. The death of the red head cult member is a friggen classic.

I loved the music they used from the silent hill games through-out the movie, it made it that much better.

Alcoholism- The new fad in todays society. Dont be left out! Get a free "How to drink your way through life!" tape with 2 proofs of purchase with every 24 pack of Budweiser.TM or
Bud-lite.TM
XboxLiveTag-IXISilencerIXI
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:57 AM       
The critics really REALLY didn't like this movie. So I guess that means I'm definitely seeing this.
Legislacerator
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:11 AM       
oh yes, the fucking music rocked. also, I love being able to sit back and pick out parts from the game in the movie.
master_d_68 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:17 AM       
Saw the movie today

(MAJOR SPOILERS!!!)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
This is, without a doubt, the most faithful video game adaptation ever. EVERY AREA is IDENTICAL to how it appeared in the games, from the infamous alleyway, to the bathrooms, to the camera angles (NOTABLY IN THE ALLEY AND THE ZOOM ON THE HOSPITAL MAP). For the difficult task of adaptating seemingly unadaptable source material , Gans and Avary did a helluva job. And now for the gripes.

-Pyramid Head underused, he is effectively used in two scenes, and disappears for the remainder. His presence isn't even spoken of afterwards, instead, treated like a garden variety monster like the others

-The Nurse scene is unintentionally funny, and badly cut. Although the allusion to their futility without light was a welcome acknowlegement.

-Some of the dialogue was absolutely ridiculous, either in execution or in general ("LOOK, I'M BURNING!") And many characters have a bad habit of stating the obvious (CYBIL WALKING INTO A CHARRED ROOM: "There was a fire here."

-The mentions of Henry Townsend and Eddie Dombrowski in the credits, presumably as minor cultist characters with no dialogue.

-The ending....C'mon....I was afraid they would go with the obvious twist, but chalked it up to cliche paranoia. I was sadly disappointed that they chose to go with the "dead the whole time" ending, especially when it takes the "High Tension" route of negating all of the previous events of the past 2 hours.

-Sean Bean's character is useless, and what could have been explored, was discarded. Then again, Avary wrote the script with no males, and was forced to add one when the first draft was returned to him saying "There are no men!" This makes it blatantly obvious that he was a last minute addition.

Other then these gripes, the film remained a fuckin' blast to watch. I was quite surprised to return home pleased only to see that the critics completely ripped it to pieces (One absurdedly comparing it to Uwe Boll's work). Fuck the critics, it's worth a watch.
Legislacerator
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:33 AM       
it's a film adaptation of Silent Hill 1. pyramid head isn't supposed to be there AT ALL.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:33 AM       
wow, everyoe who hasnt played silent hill really hates this

"Let’s start with the running time for Silent Hill: two hours and five minutes. Totally out of control."
-- Christy Lemire, ASSOCIATED PRESS

"Had Silent Hill been directed by Peter Jackson, perhaps there would have been an explanation or justification for its 127-minute length. But Christophe Gans? Seriously?"
-- Dan Fienberg, ZAP2IT.COM

i hate when people get REALLY ANNOYED at the length of the movie, sure if it was 5 hours long or something, but an extra half hour? what critical things did they miss out on in that time that they lost forever thanks to silent hill?

anyway, sounds good from fans of the game, might see it

master_d_68 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM       
SPOILERS

Of course, it's NOT a complete adaptation of Silent Hill 1. It's already been established that elements from all of the games would be integrated into ONE film. The patient demons and the Hotel was in Silent Hill 2, Rose is dressed similar to Heather, and if you want to get REALLY technical, where was Kaufman, and why was Dahilia a tragic character instead of the main villain? I think that, even though they were proud of their film, that Gans and Avary were confident that this movie wasn't likely to please critics or generate a definite sequel, hence, the integration of elements from all of the games (hardly SH4) into one BIG film. They made this film strictly for the fans, and that's all I ever wanted.
Official forum judge
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM       
Also, that part where they jump across apartment rooms was straight outta the second game, Stereotype. Also the bowling alley was from the seond. Although the theme and plot was almost an adaptation of the first movie, Gans obviously played the second one all the way through, and it shows in the movie.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM       
Also alot of shots (even from the trailer are straight out of the games. For example the shot of rose kneeling on the ground through the steel mesh is from SH3.
Official forum judge
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM       
Funny, I've played through the third game the most (beaten it twice) and I never really caught on to the referances from the third game.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM       
A couple of the songs were from SH3, too. The ending credit song was the opening of the game.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM       
Official forum judge
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
A couple of the songs were from SH3, too. The ending credit song was the opening of the game.
The credit music from SH3 was a sung version of the opening (instrumental) theme song for the first SH,though. But yeah, I remember the music from the car scene in SH3 now.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM       
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it, though I've never played the games (only seen a little bit of SH2 being played, and it looked pretty much exactly like portrayed in the movie to me). One of my friends who did play the games HATED it though, saying they changed EVERYTHING and it was just awful.

Some of the video game elements were a little cheesy (the way she found some of the "clues" and whatnot, like the hotel plaque thing in that guy's mouth), but as I knew it was a video game movie that didn't really bother me.

I thought it was a fairly enjoyable movie and very pretty to look at. I really didn't "get" what they were trying to do at the end though. The ending didn't make sense to me.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM       
Alright, that settles it. I'm seeing it tonight or whenever I get a chance to this weekend.