Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Virgin
goldenbane is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:38 AM        Max Burbank: Hardest working unfunny man on I-Mockery
I don't mean this as a flame against Mr. Burbank or anything, but I just don't find the VAST majority of his articles and such things funny at all. He has, what I consider, an extremely sophisticated sense of humor.

When ever I see an article discussing something I've never ever heard of before in my life, I always whisper to myself "Gotta be Max Burbank" and every single time, it has been!

But Max, with all due respect to the other fine gentlemen on I-Mockery by far posts the most amount of articles (at least IMO). While I'm sure RoG and Protoclown, and the others all work very hard on their stuff, Max seems to really go the distance and get a vast majority of stuff posted.

If Mr. Burbank reads this, and is hurt by my words, I want to offer to him my most heartfelt apologies...I think his style of humor goes over my head a lot (although his article on the KISS Destroyer album was awesome!).

I want Max, and all his fans to know that none of this is sarcastic or meant to be sheerly nasty and mean spirited at all. There is enough of that crap on the internet. I guess I'm just making sort of an observation.

I do love the vast majority of Protoclown's stuff, I think I'm more in tuned with his humor.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM       
Max's style seems to be more esoteric than the others, but I dig it. All the contributors here are hilarious, imo.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:48 AM       
NEW PEPOLE
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:58 AM       
You're hilarious too, Misdemonar.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM       
WHY THANK YOU FOR THAT COMMENT I WORK HARD AT BEING A COMDEION ON I-MOCKERY.
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM       
Was I just involved in a polite exchange?

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM       
To be fair, the only reason Burbank has that title is because I stopped writing myself.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM       
I like how the first sentence of his post makes a BOLD STATEMENT and then the other 20 lines are spent running away from that remark at top speed.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbane View Post
I do love the vast majority of Protoclown's stuff, I think I'm more in tuned with his humor.
Geez Proto, whyagottacallMaxoutlikethat?
Forum Virgin
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
I like how the first sentence of his post makes a BOLD STATEMENT and then the other 20 lines are spent running away from that remark at top speed.
I'm afraid of coming off as a typical internet jerk, I guess. I suppose that what I meant in my message is "I don't find Max Burbank funny, but I think he puts in a lot of dedicated work for the site."

Eh, I tend to ramble.
corporate whore
Dirge is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 06:02 AM       
Hi max, just wanted to say ur awful at jokes i dont get.

much luv,

goldenbane
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:50 AM       
I'm not in the least offended. Humor is completely subjective, and I think I-mocks greatest strength is how much ground we cover. We're like the Beatles of reasonably unknown free comedy writing on the internet.

The reason I-mock is my home base is because more than any other editor I've encountered, RoG lets me be me. Both Cracked and Lampoon at one time or another either editted my stuff in ways I hated to suit their audience, or asked that I write stuff more specifficallly tailored to them. And I'm totally able to do that, but to write tailored stuff that doesn't totally suit me, I want more money. Sometimes I get it, mostly I don't.

I'll say this, in my comedy career I've always pretty much been an acquired taste. The more times you see me or read me, the more you get me. Generally. Or not, in which case, that's fine. I'd still like your money , though, because I'm hungry and my clothes have holes in them.

Also, especially if I wrote something you did like (like the destroyer article) Yyou may find if you look into some of the other stuff I;m talking about, you'll see connections and discover new interests.

Anyway, I think it's cool that Goldenbane read I-mock and thinks about it enough to have made his comment.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM       
the real triumph here is that dirge has returned!
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbane View Post
I don't mean this as a flame against Mr. Burbank or anything, but I just don't find the VAST majority of his articles and such things funny at all. He has, what I consider, an extremely sophisticated sense of humor.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Max is simply the funniest writer on I-Mockery (and one of the funniest I've ever seen anywhere) and I think the other writers agree with me on that fact. I definitely understand that his humor goes over some people's heads or simply doesn't click with somebody - that's just the nature of comedy. It doesn't matter how funny you are, there will always be people who think you suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
To be fair, the only reason Burbank has that title is because I stopped writing myself.
Yes you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
I'm not in the least offended. Humor is completely subjective, and I think I-mocks greatest strength is how much ground we cover. We're like the Beatles of reasonably unknown free comedy writing on the internet.
It is kinda crazywhen you think about how much ground we've covered over the past 10 years or so. Most sites seem to stick to one style or subject, but we're really all over the map with what we write about. I think the main reason for that is because each of the 4 (well, 3 now) writers are so completely different. The cool thing about that though is that even if you don't like one writer, chances are you'll like one of the others. We have a large established audience who generally likes what we've been doing all these years and that's pretty damned cool if ya ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
The reason I-mock is my home base is because more than any other editor I've encountered, RoG lets me be me. Both Cracked and Lampoon at one time or another either editted my stuff in ways I hated to suit their audience, or asked that I write stuff more specifficallly tailored to them. And I'm totally able to do that, but to write tailored stuff that doesn't totally suit me, I want more money. Sometimes I get it, mostly I don't.
With you and the other writers, I try to be as hands off as possible (with editing, not with groping). I trust you guys enough to write in your own styles and I see it as my job to make sure your articles are presented properly and with as few spelling and/or grammatical errors as possible.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM       
I find that Max's articles have a larger difference in how funny or not they are than those of the others writers here do. Some have me nearly falling off my chair from laughter while others leave me scratching my head. Maybe I'm somewhere in between getting and not getting his humor, so that it only works for me sometimes. But Max at his best is THE best.
He speaks truth!
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM       
Sometimes Max's writing is heartfelt and serious, sometimes it is bitingly sarcastic and occasionally he writes as would an emu on acid. So perhaps in in the first case the reason people aren't laughing is because they're not really supposed to laugh, but rather think. In the second case, his humor is somewhat of an acquired taste (a certain open letter comes to mind, which not everyone realized was written with tongue planted firmly in cheek) where in the last case, if you try to understand the humor, they might chuck you into a loony bin, so the best recourse is simply to go with the flow and laugh.

Part of what I like about Max's writing is that I never know what kind of piece he'll present, and that fills me with a great sense of anticipation.
You may already be there.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM       
BRING BACK FATSATAN AND PJALNE

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM       
and jixby phillips
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADZOOKS View Post
BRING BACK FATSATAN AND PJALNE
Believe me man, I would if I could, but those two basically quit the internet. I still hope that they'll pop up again someday though...
Forum Virgin
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:04 AM       
Now I feel horrible about starting this thread. Today I was searching through old articles and came across Max's feature on how he was going to keep his daughter from becoming obsessed with Harry Potter. I dont' think I've laughed so hard in a long time! That was a very brilliantly written piece.
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM       
Quote:
Christ, dude, stick to your guns. I'm still making Simpsons references, and look at where that's gotten me.

Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM       
When I read Max I frequently find myself asking, "Why didn't I think of that?" That's my mark for a good humorist.
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM       
As one of the writers on the site, my word is FUCKING LAW, so I can say as a FACT that Max Burbank is the funniest writer on here.

But, as was said elsewhere in this thread, we each have our own styles and humor is pretty subjective regardless of quality, so I really think it is cool that we all have our own unique styles and sort of run the gamut of comedy writing around here.

I appreciate having Max around though, because not only do I immensely enjoy reading his new material each week, but reading his stuff makes me strive to be a better writer because I want to keep trying to reach that level myself. Not emulate or copy, mind you, but he makes it look so easy, you know?
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:19 AM       
GRRRR BAAAAAAA INTERNET JERK I AM RAAAARRRARRRGH

But not really because I do not enjoy things I don't like and everyone has an opinion right oh lol hi guys I'm back egads

sorry this post wasn't meanspirited or anything ijustfeltlikebeinganassholeit'smyfirstpostinmonths

for the record I like Max Burbank's writing.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM       
he reminds me of jack handey