Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM        Dems give Whitehouse Bolton Ultimatum
Reid: No Documents, No Bolton
CNN

Thursday 09 June 2005

Washington - Senate Democrats will not allow a vote on President Bush's choice for U.N. ambassador unless the White House hands over records of communications intercepts Bolton sought from the secretive National Security Agency, Minority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday.

"You can't ignore the Senate. We've told them what we've wanted. The ball is in his court," Reid, D-Nevada, told CNN. "If they want John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations, give us this information. If they don't, there will be no Bolton."

The Senate fell four votes shy of the 60 needed to cut off debate on Bolton's nomination in May after two Democrats on the Foreign Relations Committee urged their colleagues to hold the issue open.

Sens. Joseph Biden, the ranking Democrat on the committee, and Christopher Dodd have demanded the Bush administration produce documents 10 National Security Agency communications intercepts that Bolton, the State Department's undersecretary for arms control, had requested since 2001.

White House Communications Director Nicole Devenish called Reid's stance "another effort to distract from the work that the people want to see done here in Washington."

"This request for additional information is clearly a stalling tactic, and one that I think the American people are growing weary of," she said.

But Reid said Bush is responsible for breaking the impasse - not Democrats.

"The president is obstructing a vote on John Bolton," he said. "We've asked for simple information that Congresses over many decades that we have been in existence have been given by the White House."

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM        Neato
I get to meet Senator Ried later this year. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM       
Man, it's sure weird that they wait until just this time to ask for this magical piece of info. It wasn't like they had confirmation meetings about the guy for the past 6 months or anything.

Damn, can Democrats be any more oily?
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catholic Samurai
What needs to be said.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Man, it's sure weird that they wait until just this time to ask for this magical piece of info. It wasn't like they had confirmation meetings about the guy for the past 6 months or anything.

Damn, can Democrats be any more oily?
said the pot to the kettle.....