Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM        I went to a furry convention.

It was billed as a sci fi/fantasy/gaming/furry convention, and it ended up basically being just a furry convention, but it actually wasn't that bad. It was a small local convention so creepiness was kept to a minimum. The entire weekend consisted of me playing Brawl with random passerby. I like Ike!

When I say creepiness was kept to a minimum, I mean that lightly. Some highlights include:

-Elderly babyfur. For those of you who don't know, babyfurs are a type of furry who roleplay as (very) young characters who shit themselves and most get off to this. I only spotted one who was openly so, a fellow who must have been rapidly approaching 60. He was wearing a set of those scrubs featuring cartoon characters that pediatric nurses wear.

-Roxy the cat. There were a number of fursuits. The vast majority of them were "innocent" in the way that they were just animal people, not unlike the animal mascot characters one would see at a theme park. One, however, stuck out. She went by the name "Roxy" (I'm told; I refrained from speaking to her.) Roxy was a large, hot pink cat, dressed in a pair of very short cut-off shorts and a tank-top that I would call low-cut except that Roxy's latex breasts were so large that they would've stuck out of it no matter how big the shirt was. The breasts were obviously the focus of the outfit as the lovingly rendered latex nipples stuck quite visibly outward. I avoided Roxy (and so did most of the folk I spoke to, all of whom were made uncomfortable by her presence. Also, the person within Roxy was, indeed, a man.)

-The furpile. The fursuiters were in the minority, and I wasn't terribly unnerved by their presence until I saw about a dozen of them gathered in the center of the convention area, lying on the floor in a loose pile and stroking eachother. This public display of pseudo-sexual activity was made all the more disturbing by the fact that there was a fairly large gathering of non-suited people forming a circle around them and taking pictures as though it was the most fascinating thing ever. I went back to the game room at this point, which is where the saner folk were taking refuge.

Otherwise, from an honest standpoint, I had fun, and it was an excuse to get out for a while and make nerdy references while I got my ass handed to me on Brawl.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM       
Pics?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM       
I would post pics, but I don't want to do so with the permission of the people whose pictures I took. Everybody was genuinely friendly, so I don't have enough contempt not to give a shit about their privacy.

Edit: Very few of the pics I took are actually very interesting anyway. I'm a horrible photographer.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM       
They'd have to be the right kind of pictures too.

I mean, I know what a furry looks like, I've seen them before, but what I haven't seen is a picture of a furry with Emu standing in the foreground screaming "OH MY GOD, THERE ARE FUCKING FURRIES OVER HERE!"
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM       
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM       
The entire experience was extremely surreal. I honestly thought I may have been dreaming when I saw a well-groomed man in a black business suit chatting with a man in a rabbit costume.

And apparently, trying to capture a furry on film is like trying to take a picture of Big Foot:

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM       
Did your girlfriend drag you off to this.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM       
yes
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I would post pics, but I don't want to do so with the permission of the people whose pictures I took.
Actually, at most conventions these days, there's usually a clause somewhere when you buy tickets that you understand you will likely be photographed with the crowds o' people. At least that's how it is at stuff like Comic-Con. Still, I understand your reasons* for not wanting to post 'em, so no problem there.

*because you were one of the people in a furry suit.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM       
Holy shit.

That was very funny. Well done.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Actually, at most conventions these days, there's usually a clause somewhere when you buy tickets that you understand you will likely be photographed with the crowds o' people. At least that's how it is at stuff like Comic-Con. Still, I understand your reasons* for not wanting to post 'em, so no problem there.

*because you were one of the people in a furry suit.
YES ROG THAT'S TOTALLY WHY

I'm going back tonight for the closing ceremonies and I'll try to get some more pictures that I may post.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM       
Seriously, nobody's gonna mind you taking photos of them and posting them. These people wouldn't dress up in costumes if they didn't expect others to photograph 'em. Anybody in costume at a convention will be ready to pose as soon as you whip out your camera...
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM       
Try to look as incredulous as you can. Think Max Burbank at the zoo astounded levels.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM       
This was one of the most informative and greatest posts I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM       
make sure you get a picture of your girlfriend's fursuit while you're there.

so you'll have something to look back on and say I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THEN at.

also make sure you establish some ground rules. let her know that it still isn't okay to get rimmed by a giant raccoon if she's in her yogi outfit.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM       
People are trying to talk her into getting one

Most people seem satisfied just walking around with a tail hooked on to their pants.

Oh and there was also a guy there wearing a gimp mask shaped like a dog's head.
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM       
I went to this anime convention at th e Ramada a few years back, back before I knew how stupid those fanatics are, and they had this whole floor that you could either rent, or if there weren't many people in one you could just walk in, sit down and eat some sandwiches and watch TV. So I was in one of those rooms, munching down like six sammiches and watching Godzilla, and out of the bathroom comes this guy in a huge ass rabbit fursuit. He keeps trying to tell me something, and he's getting closer, but I can't understand him, so the first thing I thought to do was jump up, ram past him and I just kept running until I was in the safe halo zone. I dunno who he was, but *shudder* I never trust a fursuit.
Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM       
I went to an anime convention at the George R. Brown here in Houston (It's called ONI-CON), and plenty of people were in anime/video game costumes. But then, I saw a person in a Wolf-Link Fursuit. You could not imagine the rage I felt as a gamer.
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM       
Por que whyyyyyy do furries ruin everything?!
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM       
am i getting this right guys furries don't procreate they just soil themselves and those they love and dryclean the goods? i'm having a tough time here.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:10 AM       
you better learn to watch that mouth around the baby
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToShreds View Post
I went to an anime convention at the George R. Brown here in Houston (It's called ONI-CON), and plenty of people were in anime/video game costumes. But then, I saw a person in a Wolf-Link Fursuit. You could not imagine the rage I felt as a gamer.
When I go to conventions that have little or nothing to do with furries (Origins for instance) I always die a little inside when I see a furry there. I mean honestly, do you really need to pretend to be a fox while playing Chrononauts or Apples to Apples? Don't animals lack the opposable thumbs required to play most games at Origins? Thankfully though, there aren't many, but there are a few and they pollute the area with their presence.

EDIT: I just remembered the hotel we were staying at for the convention reserved the pool for the Origins attendees, but nobody would go to it because it had been taken over by furries
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidstatik View Post
you better learn to watch that mouth around the baby
Yeah, like a baby is gonna understand what "dryclean the goods" means.
And even if she repeats it in preschool or kindergarten, she's hardly gonna be able to put it into context. It's not like saying shit where she can just scream it around everywhere.
He speaks truth!
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
They'd have to be the right kind of pictures too.

I mean, I know what a furry looks like, I've seen them before, but what I haven't seen is a picture of a furry with Emu standing in the foreground screaming "OH MY GOD, THERE ARE FUCKING FURRIES OVER HERE!"

I TRIED.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM       

Awesome.