Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:20 AM        Another imigration complaint
Within the next 10 to 20 weeks, there will be a great purge of latin-american workers in the northeast. The Dems have been trying to contain this as long as posible, but I, working in the consturction industry, can see the tension building. Hispanics have been the fastest growing minority in the US for ten years now, partly due to imigration, but most of them are still migrant workers (when is the last time you heared of a retired mexican?) Walmart has had the courage to kick off the first round of citizenship related firings, with other companies to soon follow thier lead.

The town I live in, Peekskill New York, has recently been divided on a plan to provide a structure for the day laborers to congregate in. I might remind the public that day laborers DO NOT pay any taxes, yet reap the benifiets of free county subsidized health and dental care (westchester county, NY.)

I am a second generation US citizen, I work 60 hours a week, pay 30% of my salary to taxes, and I still cannot afford healthcare insurance that these imigrants recieve for free. In fact, a COUNTY law has recently been passed mandating that all hispanic county employees must be paid at least $12.75 per hour. This excludes all other races who can be paid as low as $5.75 per hour under FEDERAL minimum wage laws.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:17 AM       
Just say no to US borders!

(actually, I've known some retired Mexicans. I didn't think you could cash in a 401k plan with brown skin either, but boy was I sure wrong!)
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM        Re: Another imigration complaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Robot
Walmart has had the courage to kick off the first round of citizenship related firings, with other companies to soon follow thier lead.
Yeah, thank GOD Walmart has finally found the courage to be shitty to its workers.

Quote:
I am a second generation US citizen, I work 60 hours a week, pay 30% of my salary to taxes, and I still cannot afford healthcare insurance that these imigrants recieve for free. In fact, a COUNTY law has recently been passed mandating that all hispanic county employees must be paid at least $12.75 per hour. This excludes all other races who can be paid as low as $5.75 per hour under FEDERAL minimum wage laws.
This makes no sense. I know a couple of counties in NY, Westchester perhaps being one of them, has it mandated that all private contractors who deal through the county government need to get a living wage. I can't see how the legislation could be justified only towards Hispanics, do you have a link or resource on that....? This is Westchester County that passed this...?

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:33 AM       
I'm not suprised that there are laws that mandate what you should pay workers beyond minimum wage. Free enterprise is dying in this country.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:00 AM       
We can hope Vince, we can hope.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:13 PM       
Anyone paying Vinth a penny beyond minimum wage is getting maximally ripped off.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:30 PM       
Minimum wage. Quite possibly the greatest impediment to speady recovery in depressions yet.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:00 AM       
I'm not complaining...the mexicans at the Taco Bell nearby sure roll a mean burrito!
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:05 AM       
Minimum wage ensures an adequate living. Any economy that can't recover while providing that little probably shouldn't recover.

Illegal immigrants just shouldn't be allowed to work. They should be immediately deported. If you can't bother to go through the process of entering this country legally, you should be allowed to live here, whether you're a hard worker or a parasite.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:10 AM       
One and Only; I sincerely hope you work a demeaning demanding job at Minimum wage and have to live off it for a nice long chunk of you life. Moreover, I hope you get evicted and have to try putting togther first, last and a security department on all your minimum wage savings.

You know what would make for really speedy recovery during a recession? Indentured servitude. If someone becomes homeless or declares bankruptcy, they could be sold to temp agencies as bond slaves for however long it took them to repay their debts, plus interest. MAN, that would make for a speedy recovery!
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM       
The indian guys from Canada I work with bring me really good prescription drugs when I require them (by prescription from U.S. docs). They're immigrants to the U.S. but not really 'cause they were spread all throughout Michigan and southern Ontario. I guess I'm the immigrant.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:13 AM       
I love how when anyone talks about minimum wage, military, re: anything contraversial, someone has to go and say "Well, I hope you have to blah blah blah".

Did it ever occur to you, Max, that OAO may have the skills and abilities that mean he will always have employment and not have to live with minimum wage? Isn't minimum wage just another way for people to get paid even though they may have ZERO skills whatsoever? I earned minimum wage for about 3 months at one job I had and through my hard work, I have never had to earn minimum wage again. Most jobs nowadays don't pay minimum wage because people won't work for it. If people are working for minimum wage it is because a) they are young and have no work experience, b) they are older people who want to work to supplement their income and if they earn over x amount of dollars, their Social Security will be cut, or c) people who fucked around in their lives and do not have any work skills to begin with.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Did it ever occur to you, Max, that OAO may have the skills and abilities that mean he will always have employment and not have to live with minimum wage?
Aww.. I see Vinth found a friend while I was gone.

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:30 AM       
Awww... it's nice to see you still can't add anything to an intelligent conversation.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:31 AM       
Quote:
Awww... it's nice to see you still can't add anything to an intelligent conversation.
Well..

...nah, too easy.

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialBrandon
Quote:
Well..

...nah, too easy.
my exact sentiments
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore
Minimum wage ensures an adequate living. Any economy that can't recover while providing that little probably shouldn't recover.
In theory, of course. When the government is still using economic benchmarks from a couple of decades ago to define the minimum standard of living for its least well-off citizens, then no adult working for minimum wage will ever reach a level of life that could be described as 'adequate'.

Plus, there are special interest groups who have always lobbied against any moves to raise the minimum wage rate. Among these groups, the fast food industry.
Mocker
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM       
You are missing my point. During depressions, our policy has long been that wages need to be maintained, as well as prices. I simply think that this only increases the distortions of the market, and does nothing but slow down the correction process.

If wages are not maintained artificially high, business can lower prices, which is exactly what people expect in a depression. The faster these prices fall, the quicker the depression will end. And if prices are falling, then the minimum wage worker is not hurt much at all.

Another benefit of getting rid of minimum wage would be greater employment. This may hurt the lone minimum wage worker, but it helps the bum who cannot find a job. Some left-wingers claim that lower wages hurt the lower class: but who's lower, the fast food worker or the drunken bum on the street?

I realize this holds little impact in modern times, but then, so do minimum wage laws. The number of people who work for minimum wage is trivial, and I find it highly unlikely that they would work for less if the laws were repealed. There is no point in working if you cannot afford to live, after all.

The fact that I am detached from the life style of those making minimum wage is precisely why I can make a better judgement on the topic, since I can be more objective and less emotional. Do not, however, make the assumption that I have never been in difficult financial situations: when your duplex does not have enough water pressure for a decent shower and pigeons like sitting on your roof more than any other (it was always fun to look at the pigeons through the window), you have a pretty bad home. Let's not even get into the neighbor that abused his wife.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:23 AM       
Vinthy, Don't you have a site of your own to act as sawdust for your upchuck?

Beyond that, if you think there are ANY 'skills and abilities that mean (you) will always have employment and not have to live with minimum wage', it's only because you haven't lived in the 'real world' very long. I'm quite a bit older than you, and have NEVER worked fo minimum wage. I do, however, have daily responsabilities and am smart enough to realize how close most people are to real financial trouble every day of their lives. Maybe you'll be lucky enough you'll never be between jobs and broke in a bad economy. The longest I've ever been out of work was two months. But more than likely you'll hit some hard times. Most people do.

And you'll blame it on the poor, Imigrants, and Democrats. And if there isn't enough safety net left to catch your moronic ass, you'll shriek like a baby with colic.
Mocker
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:12 AM       
Oh yeah, that reminds me... I support open borders.

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:28 PM       

There you go, Max.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM       
Say, you should post that on your own website. That way there'd be some new material there, and it's great pointed social commentary so it would fit right in. I mean, you had the time to put it here.

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:11 PM       
With the quick and biting humor you just displayed, Max, I'm not suprised you are the main writer of many fifth-rate comedy sites on the world wide wegb.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:55 PM       
I'm just saying, you seem to have time to post here. A website of your own would be a great way to spend that time. Get your ideas out there, have someplace where people could refer to your collected musings. Gather other like minded writers. Paraphrase the thoughts of one or two geniuses out there, like that Boortz fella. Maybe post a few pics of hot li'l ethnic chicks, you know, just to dispel the idea that you might be a bigot and draw some traffic.

It could be a sort of salon for budding right wing pundits, for people with the courage who say what needs to be said. If only a bright, witty young fella out there had the discipline, the commitment to follow through on an idea like that.

I'd do it myself, since no one else will, but I don't have access to anyplace like that anymore.