Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM        New Yorker says Rumsfeld Culpable
Rumsfeld Approved Iraq Interrogation Plan -Report

By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld approved a plan that brought unconventional interrogation methods to Iraq to gain intelligence about the growing insurgency, ultimately leading to the abuse of Iraqi prisoners, the New Yorker magazine reported on Saturday.

Â*
Rumsfeld, who has been under fire for the prisoner abuse scandal, gave the green light to methods previously used in Afghanistan for gathering intelligence on members of al Qaeda, which the United States blames for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the magazine reported on its Web site.

Pentagon spokesman Jim Turner said he had not seen the story and could not comment. The article hits newsstands on Monday.

U.S. interrogation techniques have come under scrutiny amid revelations that prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad were kept naked, stacked on top of one another, forced to engage in sex acts and photographed in humiliating poses.

Rumsfeld, who has rejected calls by some Democrats and a number of major newspapers to resign, returned on Friday from a surprise trip to Iraq and Abu Ghraib prison, calling the scandal a "body blow." Seven soldiers have been charged.

The abuse prompted worldwide outrage and has shaken U.S. global prestige as President Bush seeks re-election in November. Bush has backed Rumsfeld and said the abuse was abhorrent but the wrongful actions of only a few soldiers.

The U.S. military has now prohibited several interrogation methods from being used in Iraq, including sleep and sensory deprivation and body "stress positions," defense officials said on Friday.

SPECIAL ACCESS PROGRAM

The New Yorker said the interrogation plan was a highly classified "special access program," or SAP, that gave advance approval to kill, capture or interrogate so-called high-value targets in the battle against terror.

Such secret methods were used extensively in Afghanistan but more sparingly in Iraq -- only in the search for former President Saddam Hussein and weapons of mass destruction. As the Iraqi insurgency grew and more U.S. soldiers died, Rumsfeld and Defense Undersecretary for Intelligence Stephen Cambone expanded the scope to bring the interrogation tactics to Abu Ghraib, the article said.

The magazine, which based its article on interviews with several past and present American intelligence officials, reported the plan was approved and carried out last year after deadly bombings in August at the U.N. headquarters and Jordanian Embassy in Baghdad.

A former intelligence official quoted in the article said Rumsfeld and Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, approved the program but may not have known about the abuse.

'DO WHAT YOU WANT'

The rules governing the secret operation were "grab whom you must. Do what you want," the unidentified former intelligence official told the New Yorker.

Rumsfeld left the details of the interrogations to Cambone, the article quoted a Pentagon consultant as saying.

"This is Cambone's deal, but Rumsfeld and Myers approved the program," said the Pentagon consultant in the article.

U.S. officials have admitted the abuse may have violated the Geneva Convention, which governs treatment of prisoners of war.

Â*

The New Yorker said the CIA , which approved using high-pressure interrogation tactics against senior al Qaeda leaders after the 2001 attacks, balked at extending them to Iraq and refused to participate
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:11 PM       
This story is gthering momentum and is about to explode. Hersh's New Yorker article and a three part piece for Newsweek are now on line.

Here's an excerpt of an analysis article on Hersh's information from Slate.

"Read together, the magazine articles spell out an elaborate, all-inclusive chain of command in this scandal. Bush knew about it. Rumsfeld ordered it. His undersecretary of defense for intelligence, Steven Cambone, administered it. Cambone's deputy, Lt. Gen. William Boykin, instructed Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, who had been executing the program involving al-Qaida suspects at Guantanamo, to go do the same at Abu Ghraib. Miller told Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, who was in charge of the 800th Military Brigade, that the prison would now be dedicated to gathering intelligence. Douglas Feith, the undersecretary of defense for policy, also seems to have had a hand in this sequence, as did William Haynes, the Pentagon's general counsel. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, learned about the improper interrogations—from the International Committee of the Red Cross, if not from anyone else—but said or did nothing about it for two months, until it was clear that photographs were coming out. Meanwhile, those involved in the interrogations included officers from military intelligence, the CIA, and private contractors, as well as the mysterious figures from the Pentagon's secret operation."

Hersh is no slouch Journalist. This is devestating stuff, and my prediction is it's going to get huge quickly.

The basic gist is that Rummy authorized torture and speciffically sexual humiliation for Al Quaeda operatives. He thought it worked well, so when they couldn't find WMD in Iraq, and then the insurgency started, he decided to use it there. The Pentagon is in full throated denail. But Rummy has made many serious enemies in his own party as he attempted to gain control of military policy at all lvels and take over control of intelligence gathering from the CIA. is failure to plan realistically for the aftermath of overthrowing Sadaam hasn't won him any friends, nor has his dismissal of the State Department. Republicans in congress are less than pleased with this fiiasco as well, and party loyalty is stretched pretty thin just now.

Naldo asked a few months back if any of us could think of a single scenario that might cost W. the election. This might be that scenario. When I posted this story it was so low profile, no one even commented. My prediction is it is going to dominate headlines in the coming months.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM       
Your predictions are often right on the money, Max. I'd be surprised if this one was any different.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:13 PM       
I read the previous article Hersh did before this one, about the actual scandal and General Taguba's investigation of it. I can't believe they think that we will buy the horseshit explanation that it was a few isolated soldiers responsible for this mess. One of the unfortunate consequences of this affair is that Taguba will probably not advance anymore in his career because of all the high-ups he has embarassed with his report.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:33 PM       
here's a link to the most recent New Yorker article

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040524fa_fact