Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM        Limbaugh arrested
I know, I know, not a big story, but isn't it fun how slowly the wheel of justice turns when you have the money for a good lawyer? How long his this 'investigation' going on?

There's a nice Limbaugh quote about what drug addicts deserve (and he admits he became adicted, that's not being debated), but I can't be bothered to dig for it just now.

Anyway, I just thought it would be a shme not to at least note this momentous occasion on our board.

Rush Limbaugh Arrested on Drug Charges
The Associated Press

Friday 28 April 2006

West Palm Beach - Rush Limbaugh was arrested Friday on prescription drug charges, law enforcement officials said.

Limbaugh turned himself in to authorities on a warrant issued by the State Attorney's Office, said Teri Barbera, a spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office.

The conservative radio commentator came into the jail at about 4 p.m. with his attorney Roy Black and bonded out an hour later on a $3,000 bail, Barbera said.

The warrant was for fraud to conceal information to obtain prescription, Barbera said.

Black said his client and authorities reached a settlement on a single count charge of doctor shopping filed Friday by the State Attorney will be dismissed in 18 months.

AP wire

Prosecutors seized Limbaugh's records after learning that he received about 2,000 painkillers, prescribed by four doctors in six months, at a pharmacy near his Palm Beach mansion. They contend that Limbaugh engaged in "doctor shopping," or illegally deceived multiple doctors to receive overlapping prescriptions.

Limbaugh has not been charged and maintains he's innocent. He has acknowledged he became addicted to pain medication, blaming it on severe back pain, and took a five-week leave from his radio show to enter a rehabilitation program in 2003.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM       
Here are the details of the settlement.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Rush Limbaugh must submit to random drug tests under an agreement filed Monday that will dismiss a prescription fraud charge against the conservative commentator after 18 months if he complies with the terms.

He also must continue treatment for his acknowledged addiction to painkillers and he cannot own a gun.

The agreement did not call for Limbaugh to admit guilt to the charge that he sought a prescription from a physician in 2003 without revealing that he had received medications from another practitioner within 30 days. He pleaded not guilty Friday.

"This is a common sense resolution and the appropriate way the state should treat people who have admitted an addiction to prescription pain medication and voluntarily sought treatment," Limbaugh's attorney, Roy Black, said in a statement Monday to The Associated Press.

Prosecutors launched their investigation in 2003 after Limbaugh's housekeeper alleged he abused OxyContin and other painkillers. He entered a five-week rehabilitation program that year and blamed his addiction on severe back pain.

"I spoke recently with his doctor who told me Mr. Limbaugh has made an exceptionally strong recovery and remains firmly committed to continued treatment," said Black, who said Limbaugh has been drug free for 2 1/2 years.

The Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office may revoke or modify the deal if Limbaugh violates the terms, according to the agreement.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM       
Rush Limbaugh is fast becoming the pundit equivalent of Pete Doherty.