Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:54 PM        Why be right?
I'm sure that I'm going to get tons of shit for this, one of the reasons why is because it is a dangerous overgeneralization, but here goes anyway...

I know this sounds stupid and naive, but I was honestly trying to figure out why there are so many conservatives in this country. Okay, I can see how there is a large split with certain beliefs, abortion, national defense, the strong Christian ties with the Republican party... I can see how that would cause a lot of people to side with the R's.

But what strikes me as odd is when conservatives who are by no means wealthy and in some cases poor, are so firmly against government support movements: i.e. welfare, universal health care, etc., that would in cases benefit them.
At the same time this group of people vigorously supports tax cuts that in all likelihood will affect them very minutely.

Here's where it gets ugly, and this is in no way saying that Conservatives/Republicans are racist. I was watching a special about white supremist groups, which in turn reminded me of a sociology paper that I did in grad school about kkk websites:
the white supremists turn themselves into the minority, they turn themselves into the group that is being discriminated, they put themselves in a postition where they believe that something is being taken from them. Often these people are not wealthy, not successful, and they place the blame for their station in life on minorities.

I'm going to make a stretch and say that there are people out there who use this reverse discrimination rationale in their opinions about taxation. They turn themselves into the victims because it is "their hard earned money" that is used for welfare. But honestly, what percent of my taxes were used for welfare? I get almost two hundred dollars taken out of my paycheck every two weeks. For me, that's a whole LOT of money. But do I feel angry that maybe somebody was maybe able to buy a loaf of bread?

That's all for now. You are more than free to voice dissent, but I would prefer opinions and comments, not "fuck you" and "ur stoopids"

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM       
I don't have time for a long detailed explanation, and althought you do not deserve one, I will give you will possibly tonight or tommorow morning.

But a short answer is this: Throughout history, look at the biggest gains and advancements for our society. "Conservative" ideals have been the driving force behind 95+% of them.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:14 PM        Re: Why be right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
Here's where it gets ugly, and this is in no way saying that Conservatives/Republicans are racist. I was watching a special about white supremist groups, which in turn reminded me of a sociology paper that I did in grad school about kkk websites:
the white supremists turn themselves into the minority, they turn themselves into the group that is being discriminated, they put themselves in a postition where they believe that something is being taken from them. Often these people are not wealthy, not successful, and they place the blame for their station in life on minorities.
how the black fuck does this relate at all to conservatism or Republicans? one could just as easily say that since there are racists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who consider themselves liberal, all liberals and Democrats are racists too. they do the exact same fucking thing that you just described, so by association, all people with left leaning tendencies must be hate-mongers. this type of gross generalization makes me doubt your "graduate school" education. in the future, leave the bullshit in general blabber.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:28 PM       
This has nothing to do with a racist person being a conservative or a liberal. It has to do with a mindset, by which one person associates with others or forms views based on the belief that something has been taken from them, or in some way they have been wronged.

I would think that you would have understanded this if you said that liberals often feel that they are being oppressed by the government, or something to that nature, but that would mean you understood what I wrote.

What I'm trying to talk about here is why people in a position that could benefit from tax-funded programs would be on the side of the fence that looks down on such programs and supports tax cuts that will never effect them.

It has nothing to do with racism other than an analogy to a "victim" mindset. If you're going to call this bullshit, at least support it with some reading comprehension.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM       
Quote:
What I'm trying to talk about here is why people in a position that could benefit from tax-funded programs would be on the side of the fence that looks down on such programs and supports tax cuts that will never effect them.
Self sufficiect attitudes. Most people believe that welfare is a hand out. The people you are refering to would much rather be left to fix their own problems and make their own way.

Also, when you get on welfare, it is very difficukt to get away from it. Not because you get addicted to it, but because the system traps you.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by "El Blanco
Self sufficiect attitudes. Most people believe that welfare is a hand out. The people you are refering to would much rather be left to fix their own problems and make their own way.
That makes sense, it seems to me like there may be underlying psychological motivations for some people though. Could just be because I don't see things from that perspective.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:53 PM        Sad but true
It really is all about being self sufficiant.

I'd also like to point out that the welfare system wasn't always a trap. I know it sounds like a cliché, but having come from the system I can say I remember a time when it was a hand up not a hand out.

Of course that part of my life was in suburbia. Maybe it was just perceived differently there.
Lately I've come to the conclusion that the place where I grew up was oddly naive considering it's location.
Either that or things really were more different 20 years ago than I care to think about.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
This has nothing to do with a racist person being a conservative or a liberal. It has to do with a mindset, by which one person associates with others or forms views based on the belief that something has been taken from them, or in some way they have been wronged.

I would think that you would have understanded this if you said that liberals often feel that they are being oppressed by the government, or something to that nature, but that would mean you understood what I wrote.

It has nothing to do with racism other than an analogy to a "victim" mindset. If you're going to call this bullshit, at least support it with some reading comprehension.
look at what i quoted, fucker.

oh, now it is SO obvious that you were only talking about their views on welfare. obviously racism and welfare go hand in motherfucking hand. you yourself said that you expected to be attacked because of gross generalizations. i called you on one of them, so go fuck yourself.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:28 PM       
I read what you quoted, which was one paragraph, the first of two paragraphs that set up an analogy between two mindsets. Read the last half of the first sentence you initially quoted.

oh now it is so obvious isn't it?

If you want to attack me on generalizations, attack me on the ones that I make, i.e. that all people who are for tax cuts and against things like welfare came to this opinion because they feel as if they are being wronged.

I know that this is not true, and if you went for that approach you would be completely right. I do, however, think that it has some weight in some people's decisions.

Tell me where it mentions racism in this paragraph:
"I'm going to make a stretch and say that there are people out there who use this reverse discrimination rationale in their opinions about taxation. They turn themselves into the victims because it is "their hard earned money" that is used for welfare. But honestly, what percent of my taxes were used for welfare? I get almost two hundred dollars taken out of my paycheck every two weeks. For me, that's a whole LOT of money. But do I feel angry that maybe somebody was maybe able to buy a loaf of bread? "

The racism bit was an analogy between two different mindsets, and I will only say this one last time, because everyone else obviously understands that. Its okay if you needed clarification, I can see how than might of been my fault, but you shouldn't throw a tantrum and call something bullshit if you don't even understand it.

So if you want nothing more than to turn this into a VinceZeb shouting match, I suggest you go somewhere else.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
I don't have time for a long detailed explanation, and althought you do not deserve one, I will give you will possibly tonight or tommorow morning.

But a short answer is this: Throughout history, look at the biggest gains and advancements for our society. "Conservative" ideals have been the driving force behind 95+% of them.
It wasn't the conservative Hoover who helped this nation during the Great Depression, it was the liberal Roosevelt.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:22 PM       
No matter, his post had nothing to do with the topic on hand, and hopefully we can live without the long and detailed explanation that El Blanco was kind enough to give me in, oh, five sentences.
Legislacerator
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:33 PM       
fine. it is possible that I may have taken it slightly out of context, but it is a poor analogy to begin with. it rings a bit closely with "all conservatives are rednecks" which I see way too often as it is.

condescending fuck.

jeanette-the definitions of liberalism and conservatism as they apply to American politics has changed since the Great Depression; besides, there was also that whole war thing.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype

jeanette-the definitions of liberalism and conservatism as they apply to American politics has changed since the Great Depression; besides, there was also that whole war thing.
How did they change?
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:55 PM       
I'm going to try being tactful and polite because, well, Italian already beat me to the Angry White Man tone.

Its seems that you are working under a very dangerous generalization and to wit, that people are incapable of serving ideals which do not benefit themselves. I'm a Republican, I'm not rich, and I never will be. My initial beliefs were actually incredibly liberal, because like Kevin, seeing the ruination of my own country bothered me. I couldn't turn a blind eye to my own countrymen sleeping on the sleeps, I hated hearing about people who needed hospitol care, but were denied because they couldn't afford it and I didn't appreciate a government which handled these problems with such brutal and uncaring hands.

So why did I go over?

Well, because I happen to hold dear a string of beliefs based primarily upon personal responsiblity, and secondarily upon communal responsibility. I have enough conviction that, even if my ideals are in no way beneficial, and in fact at often times adervsarial to my own needs, then I will support them anyway because I believe that if they are followed by others and implimented nationally, everyone will benefit.

I think Italian is going to handle Welfare Reform and Racism, which really, you're talking out your ass on. So I'll take the third theme, I support the tax cut, and though the reasons why are a little complicated, I'll try and simplify them for the sake of conversation.

Governments cannot fix recessions, they are natural to capitalistic economies. The recession is a natural liquidation process, and any governmental interference will only prolong it and make it perminent. The only way a government can act positively is to speed it up, and that can only be done by cutting its own spending. Resources need to shift, an adjustment process need to take place naturally within the private sector. To prop the wage rate up, which is of course what the New Deal did, to prop them up and prevent them falling destroys the whole adjustment process and prolongs the recession perminently which is what happened in tne thirties. The Tax dividends are unlawful, doubt taxation is wrong no matter how you look at it. Whether or not trickle down economics works, Conservatives understand that the more government interference you have, the worse the citizens will eventually suffer. This measure was passed merely as a placating gesture because Bush knows what many cannot understand: The government is not equipped to solve some problems, and in fact, can only make them worse.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Here's where it gets ugly, and this is in no way saying that Conservatives/Republicans are racist. "

Actually, thats pretty much exactly what you are saying, though only by implication. Let me ask you one question, with a bit of a preamble. It was originally said by Tom Blair in 1994, so they are not my words, but I paraphrasing it for simplicity's sake. See, I've written some papers on this two, but I was not content to watch secondary sources on television, and took it upon myself to investigate primary sources on my own.

'. . . . Jewish nationalism (Zionism) is openly accepted at the highest levels of government and the media. Latino nationalism is funded by the government through the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund and La Raza (The race) which openly advocates racial triumphalism and reconquest (reconquista). African-American racial nationalism and advocacy is also supported by America’s power nexus. Asian separatism and insularity are legendary. Why is then, when those of us who are of indigenous European blood seek kinship around those who share our own heritage, they are labeled "white supremacists?" . . . .'

Now Nietzsche said "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" and I agree, but the double standard which seems to exists almost makes me sympathetic to so-called 'white supremacists.' Almost. It seems that if you're white, you have to admit to being a sexist, narrowminded bigot, or else you are seen as a closet racist. You have to apologize for 'institutionalized racisms' and acts committed by men who died four generations ago, or else you're a hate monger. Our liberal media constantly cites the cause of various civic problems as a lack of white initiative to correct past misdeed, asking whites to be more responsible, and everyone else, to be less. They take one thing, and call it something else, in order to alleviate the personal responsibilities of individuals. It's not crime, its poverty. Whatever.

This is an entirely seperate issue, and has nothing - I repeat nothing- to do with conservatism as an ideology. Italian is right to rip you a new asshole on this issue.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
I agree, but the double standard which seems to exists almost makes me sympathetic to so-called 'white supremacists.' Almost. It seems that if you're white, you have to admit to being a sexist, narrowminded bigot, or else you are seen as a closet racist. You have to apologize for 'institutionalized racisms' and acts committed by men who died four generations ago, or else you're a hate monger. Our liberal media constantly cites the cause of various civic problems as a lack of white initiative to correct past misdeed, asking whites to be more responsible, and everyone else, to be less. They take one thing, and call it something else, in order to alleviate the personal responsibilities of individuals. It's not crime, its poverty. Whatever.

This is an entirely seperate issue, and has nothing - I repeat nothing- to do with conservatism as an ideology. Italian is right to rip you a new asshole on this issue.
This is exactly the kind of thing that I was talking about when talking about the "victim" mindset. This discrimination becomes part of the white supremacist's identity. It becomes something that they use to fuel their beliefs. As you said, it has nothing to do with conservatism. As I never said it did.

I'm going to try to rephrase this, in what I hope is a more accessible description:
There are people, who I know I have come across, hopefully you have too, that when the issue of tax (increase, decrease, whatever) comes up, immediately turn their focus on what is being taken from them. There are people who immediately focus on Welfare, whether or not that is even an issue. People who say things like, "these people don't deserve my hard-earned money," "these people are just looking for a hand-out," when the fact of the matter is, welfare might not even be an issue with the tax issue in question. These are the people that I do not think are concerned with being self-sufficient. These are the people that turn themselves into victims.

Now here are the generalizations that I saw in this point-of-view:
first, there are so many more reasons for and aspects to being a republican/conservative. To try and say that this is the only reason why someone holds a group of beliefs doesn't really hold up, and I knew it would not hold up here.

Secondly, it would be easy to say that there are liberals who chose their point of view on the workings of the government because they feel as if they have been wronged. There are people who would rather complain about the station of life that they were born into, or their own financial mishandlings, than do anything about. There are people who actually DO look for handouts. Would you disagree with this?

So honestly, is it so outrageous for me to believe that there are people out there whose views on taxation are influenced if not formed by a feeling of being victimized?
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM       
"As you said, it has nothing to do with conservatism. As I never said it did."

You are an idiot. LOOK AT THE NAME OF THIS THREAD AND TELL ME WHY WHITE SUPREMACY BEARS MENTIONING. You did not say Republicans Are Redneck Racists Twits, but you did infer it, just as Italian duly noted above.

"These are the people that turn themselves into victims."

What are you? The purveyor of falty generalities? If someone stands up for their interest, to take an active hand in how the money they provide the government with is spent, they are doing so out of victim complex? You went to public schools didn't you. I don't honestly believe that minorities are all that great of a drain on our society, I think that is a hobgoblin of petty minds who see statistics but forget that they only represent one facet of our termical society. HOWEVER. By refusing to accept the financial burden of others, they are standing up for their rights as taxpayers, which is distinctly un-victim like in my opinion, they are using the system as it was meant to be used, as a tool for THEIR benefit -Or have you forgotten what ideals this nation was founded on, you know, of the people for the people and all that? Victims are generally made up of those who cannot, or simply do not, stand up for themselves, not those who seek to resist infringements upon their persons, property or assets.

"So honestly, is it so outrageous for me to believe that there are people out there whose views on taxation are influenced if not formed by a feeling of being victimized?"

Yes. In order for there to be a victim, there needs to be a perpetrator. Who would it be in this context? The Government? But that is who most of these taxpayers are addressing their concerns to. The "illegal" aliens? But they have no power, and are merely passive recipients. Your little theory doesn't hold water, even at an elementary level of scrutinizing.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:47 PM       
It bears mentioning in the light that it was upon watching something on the subject that made me wonder about it's pschological relation to something else. Simple as that. Stated that from the beginning.

and read over my last post, I am saying that there are people who no matter what the issue at hand is immediately equate higher taxes with welfare and other things they don't consider themselves responsible for.

yes, the government would be the perpetrator. Is that invalid that they would voice their concerns to the institution that they think wronged them?
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:01 PM       
"it bears mentioning in the light that it was upon watching something on the subject that made me wonder about it's pschological relation to something else."

So you are making a comparison then. Play the man for a moment, and admit to it, you snivelling little shit.

"and read over my last post, I am saying that there are people who no matter what the issue at hand is immediately equate higher taxes with welfare and other things they don't consider themselves responsible for."

Well for fuck's sake, there are people that fuck livestock animals too. Should we use them as the text subject for questions regarding hetero sexuality? After all, both are having intercoarse. Thats about as consistant as using your precious minroity of taxpayers to represent the views held by the majority of conservatisms who lobby with similar interests.

"yes, the government would be the perpetrator. Is that invalid that they would voice their concerns to the institution that they think wronged them?"

Were your dropped, or violently thrown, upon the ground as a baby? Under this 'logic' we should make requests of rapists not to commit further acts of aggression against women rather than the police. Look, you're wrong. Not just a little, but toally and utterly. It really is that simple, you're not going to save any face on this issue, you may as well just accept it and move on. This theory is invalid.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
I think Eye Tie made the most relevant point right here. This also makes Vince's asinine claim that 95% or whatever of everything that has ever happened has been conservative, or whatever. I anticipate the explanation behind that one like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve.

I wan't to avoid this topic for some reason, perhaps because it has a lot to do with my concentration in college, and my brain can't handle any more of this shit.

I think the notion that conservatism espouses self-sufficiency, thus its popularity, is a tad bit misleading. We are a social animal, we are highly dependent upon each other. I think however that the ideal of independence is prevailing throughout America, as well as a general disdain for people who supposedly mooch of the system, and don't supposedly work as hard as "we" do. IMO, this is a fallacy, primarily because Americans of all incomes are working harder than they ever have before for less, calculating inflation. I think the ability to look down upon a generated "other" ironically serves as a great motivator for the American people, which makes Americans some of the most prosperous and creative in the world, IMO. This however carries other negative consequences I think, one obvious one being a divisive attitude that prevails throughout much of America. Our primate friend VinceZeb is a fine example of this.

Sorry, I'll put more effort into it later. I apologize for not doing justice to comments made by Ror, Bennet, Eye Tie, and Blanco.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:02 PM       
Quote:
Governments cannot fix recessions, they are natural to capitalistic economies. The recession is a natural liquidation process, and any governmental interference will only prolong it and make it perminent. The only way a government can act positively is to speed it up, and that can only be done by cutting its own spending.
In the 1930's European Governments put money into 'Job creation schemes' to reduce the effects of the American inspired worldwide recession. Europe were then on course to have emerged from the recession before the US if it hadn't been for the wars.

Also, in Europe, there hasn't been a major recession at any time there has been a majority of socialist governments.

I don't credit your view on this issue, Ror. :/
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:27 PM       
__________________________________________________ ___
In the 1930's European Governments put money into 'Job creation
schemes' to reduce the effects of the American inspired worldwide
recession. Europe were then on course to have emerged from the
recession before the US if it hadn't been for the wars.
__________________________________________________ ___

What are you are describing is defecit spending in order to encourage economic growth

Not only is that belief unsound, it displays considerable ignorance. The fact is, deficits can pretty well worsen recessions with depression, because one of the main characteristics of any severe recession is widespread bankruptcy. Deficits contribute to that by withdrawing capital from availability for business – the deficits absorb savings, and those savings are then not available to be lent to business firms in need of credit, so more firms go under than would otherwise have done so, and that perpetuates recession economics into depressions.

You're working under a popular misconception, to wit, money spent by the government is somehow more beneficial than that spent by the private sector. The government, however, will run at a deficit and not borrow from the general public and instead will manufacture what money they need by printing it. Thus they'll enlarge total spending while simultaneously lowering the value of that money in the years to come. You need only look to Japan in order to see that this is only effective in short term applications, and almost never during a recession.

Consider, for a moment, the War Between the States. Lincoln, forced to finance a length war, created the Greenback, or what is now known as a dollar, which was a loan from a New York bank to the US Treasury at 36% annually. Basically what Lincoln did, was print worthless paper money, for debts private and public, as a proxy for the currency of the Union which was based upon a Gold standard. The results? Inflation and recession. Published data showed that money supply in 1865 per capita was $47.42: Currency $1,651,282,373 Population 34,819,581 In the yearly contraction down to 1877, per capita money supply had fallen to $14.60 Circulation was down to $606,000,000. Government spending can never, ever, cure a recession.

An essential requirement to a sound economy is balanced budgets with small government spending. That has been the basic philosophy on which the United States has founded our system of free market enterprise, and one we lost sight of a hundred years ago.

*information of money sums from the Civil War taken from
http://www.shawneelink.net/~pridger/.../grnbkhist.htm
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:20 AM       
Quote:
What are you are describing is defecit spending in order to encourage economic growth
Not strictly true, the Governments were spending money to support employment that the private sector couldn't or wouldn't do themselves, and anyway, Europe has a longer tradition of Government led initiatives, than the US. :/

Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:55 AM       
"So you are making a comparison then. Play the man for a moment, and admit to it, you snivelling little shit."

I've been saying to Italian since the start that it was an analogy, if you would prefer I call it a comparison when addressing you, then it's a comparison. I hope that suits you and is sufficient enough of an admission.

"Well for fuck's sake, there are people that fuck livestock animals too. Should we use them as the text subject for questions regarding hetero sexuality? "

Not entirely, but I wouldn't say that it isn't a question that should be discussed.

----------------------------------
"In order for there to be a victim, there needs to be a perpetrator. Who would it be in this context? The Government? But that is who most of these taxpayers are addressing their concerns to. "

First you seem to say that someone cannot be a victim to the same entity that they voice their disdain to. In other words, if one is complaining to the government, they can't be a victim to the government?

'"yes, the government would be the perpetrator. Is that invalid that they would voice their concerns to the institution that they think wronged them?"'

"Under this 'logic' we should make requests of rapists not to commit further acts of aggression against women rather than the police. "

I'm just going to have to ask you straight up, what the fuck are you talking about here? Is there some government police that people are supposed to take their complaints about laws, legislation and foreign policy to?

Do you feel that it is unfair that money that you worked for is taken from you and given to others? If it is unfair, then do you not feel that the government has done something wrong? Your ability to not see yourself as a victim is perhaps a testimony to your sense of self reliance.

However, my point, my reason to establish a discussion is that I believe that there are a large group of people who (and this is the important part) who no matter what the situation is (for example a tax increase that does little or nothing towards a welfare program) who will fire up a defense where they view themselves as a victim of a government that is taking their hard-earned money to give others a handout. Yes, I used a comparison to attempt to explain this, mainly because it was something else that put this idea in my head.

Perhaps we disagree with the number of people who have formed their views in this manner. I would say that most people who have wouldn't openly admit or even realize that that was how they came to their beliefs. However, if you believe that there are not people like this in our society, then I have yet to be convinced.
Mocker
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM       
"I'm just going to have to ask you straight up, what the fuck are you talking about here? Is there some government police that people are supposed to take their complaints about laws, legislation and foreign policy to?"

The framers of the Constitution actually set a precident for dealing with a government which is victimizing its populace, its called Revolution buddy. I realize this concept is kind of obscure in American historty, but a few of us are privy to such arcane knowledge.

My point, to make things this, no more than you would appeal to the sensibilities of a serial murderer about to kill you, would the people complain to the government they are being victimized by. Seeing a few dollars directed into government projects you disagree with is not so great a concern that anyone is truly a victim as a result.

"Do you feel that it is unfair that money that you worked for is taken from you and given to others?"

No. I pay my taxes because it is a civic responsibility, and I trust the powers that be to make use of those assets as they see fit, as they are in a better position to to make those decisions than many citizens are. We as a society grant them that power because we realize that they are better informed than we are, in theory, and thus tend to respect their decisions. Granted, they are everybit as prone to judgements of error as we are, but because of their occupation, it is far less likely.

"If it is unfair, then do you not feel that the government has done something wrong?"

No, its not like a tax has ever been passed which the public did not see coming. The system is very concise, you can follow a bill's procession all the way to becoming a law, on television and online. You can agree with it, or disagree, but the system is not unfair. If you don't like a bill, get together a petition. Write some letters. Phone your senator. There are steps which can be taken, steps which are taken, by those with a very un-victim like mindset.

"Your ability to not see yourself as a victim is perhaps a testimony to your sense of self reliance."

Or a testiment to the fact that we do not live in a society where conservatives are self-percieved victims. How many conservatives post here? How many took heated offense to your White Supremacist comparison and theory of victimized motivation for right wing thinking?

"However, my point, my reason to establish a discussion is that I believe that there are a large group of people who (and this is the important part) who no matter what the situation is (for example a tax increase that does little or nothing towards a welfare program) who will fire up a defense where they view themselves as a victim of a government that is taking their hard-earned money to give others a handout."

And you base this on. . .conjecture? You haven't provided anything even remotedly factually supportive of such a theory.

"I would say that most people who have wouldn't openly admit or even realize that that was how they came to their beliefs."

So we have self-percieved victims who don't see themselves as victims. Is this the latest breakthrough in your brilliant theory?

'Hmmm. . .These Conservatives don't seem to see themselves as victims. I can't possibly be wrong. They must be indenial!"
Legislacerator
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM       
woah...i've been away from this thread for too long. as you seem to have things well in hand, I will yield this thread to you, ror.