Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM       
Why is the camera and game controls an issue with the Wii and not the game?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Twilight Princess, but try out Wii Sports. Although I somehow get the impression that you're going to complain about boxing ;<
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM       
chojin...you have to remember that this is such a big break thru from normal 2 analog stick joypads that itll take some time even for Nintendo to get used to it.

As for me...i never played a 3d zelda before twilight princess and i really love the game.

it has such a huge epic feel and it makes me feel like i am really link saving hyrule.
Seizure Cloud
Divisible by Waffle is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM       
I once again find myself unable to tangle through incorrect terminology and ask the right questions. Let me try again:

I had a terrible experience playing a Twilight Princess demo. The controls were absolutely wretched. Is this an issue with the game, or the Wii?

And actually, all I can play are the games they happen to have on display at the stores, as I don't have a Wii yet. I'm saving up for one, though, and I just want to make sure I won't be wasting my money on a shitty system that has a controller with all the control prowess of the Powerglove.
And the Norwegian died of laughter.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM       
The first time I saw the Wiimote I thought, "Oh shit, it's a Powerglove upgrade."

Whatever though. The Wii's still on my list after the Xbox 360.

Recently, though, I was bothered by what my friends were talking about. They said the only really good games they were able to play were Wii Sports and maybe Zelda. I don't know what games they owned or rented, but it kind of scares me that, at this point, the only good games are launch titles.

Their opinions are wierd. But they are nothing but opinions. I've got Red Steel, Elebits, and Excite Truck on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshock View Post
As for me...i never played a 3d zelda before twilight princess and i really love the game.
I almost forgot how old you are, but this reaffirms everything. You're woefully underprivileged if you haven't played Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.

It'll be really awesome when they move to the Virtual Console, so keep an eye out.
Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM       
I'm honestly kind of worried that Majora won't make a great transition to the Virtual Console. Remember the problems it had on Zelda Collector's Edition, because it sometimes remembered that the Gamecube doesn't have an N64 Expansion Pack? It didn't happen often, but every once in awhile...

I just hope that they're able to fix that, or a lot of people are going to be very pissed off.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM       
I'm trying to be less of an apologist (or "press release" as gadzooks would SAY), but I'll try to answer your questions -

The difference between the Wii and the Power Glove is that the Wii works, it's the developers that are the bottleneck between the remote and what happens. Most developers didn't actually get their hands on the Wii hardware until juuust before their games were supposed to launch, ergo, the control for many games was a real crap shoot and either passable or terrible. In contrast, Nintendo's controls are generally way better, since they're been working with the hardware the longest.

Wii Sports controls well in 3 of its 5 games. Zelda controls just fine, as it should, because most of the controls revolve around buttons and joysticks. Warioware actually works surprisingly well. For 3rd parties, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Elebits, and Trauma Center: Second Opinion all control very well. All of the Wii's menus and channels control excellently, to the point of perfection.

Virtual Console games are generally just roms, although the N64 titles have been getting 'updated', mostly to reduce the filesize and optimize textures. They took out a ghost racing option in Mario Kart 64, I understand, but then again I hate that game anyway.

Quote:
it kind of scares me that, at this point, the only good games are launch titles.
Of course the only good games are launch titles YOU FUCKING IDIOT THE SYSTEM JUST CAME OUT THREE MONTHS AGO

FUCK

Anyway, the Wii will start getting some fantastic games as soon as the games arrive that began their development cycle AFTER the system was released to the public. That means you'll start having some good shit around holiday season '07 and hopefully from then on.

Again, not to sound like an apologist, but this is the story of EVERY VIDEO GAME CONSOLE IN THE HISTORY OF FUCK. Actually, the Wii can more or less be compared to the 360 in terms of quality games being released - 360's release came with people pissing and moaning about the 'xbox 1.1' graphics and a lack of good games - the difference here is that not only are there actually a handful of good, functional games for the Wii right now, but the Virtual Console is a hell of a lot of fun too, and the internet and news channels add something unique to the console that actually are pretty useful.

So the bottom line is this - You were either playing at a shitty kiosk or you are mentally retarded. There ARE games with shitty controls on Wii - lots of them, actually, but they're all from THQ and other large companies that just released some ports without a hardware reference.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM       
OK, waffle, here's my opinion on your problem.

The wii,in general, takes some getting used to: knowing how far to be from the screen, how much to move your wrist, etc. etc. That said, the pointer used in LOZ is slightly more latent than in most wii games. Personally, I really don't find it to be too big a problem, especially when you consider that z-targeting will allow you to almost never need the crosshair. As for shooting into the ground, hold B longer before shooting. Or don't aim into the ground, whichever you were doing wrong.

I've said it before, but if you want proof that the wii can get over these pointer latency problems 100%, look at Trauma Center. The pointer feel like a laser pointer: no latency whatsoever.

So in short, after one gets used to using the wii, any control problems can almost certainly be blamed on the game, not the system or the remote.

Edit: i was writing this before chojin posted his post, which is why I repeated some points.

Last edited by DuFresne : Feb 17th, 2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: look up
was never good
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM       
Also if you want to hear about specific games, I have a website that does that that I link on every page in this thread because I have magic powers and can get away with that.

http://www.erickandemily.com
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM       
Fuck you, Blu Ray rules. Nintendo is going down the tubes. D

It's fucking insane!

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM       
You need to review something else and get that Spongebob abortion off your front page
Seizure Cloud
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM       
All right. You answered my question, Chojin. Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm not mentally retarded, so I'm just going to assume that the demo Wii was shitty, or the batteries in the controller were low.

If the system itself isn't flawed, it might just be the shitty demo game they had on display. I'll give it another go soon.
Zen444 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM       
DOWNLOADING GAMES FOR MONEY!?

INNOVATION!

ZOMG!

DistantJ is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM       
Calm down fellas, it's only videogames.

People fight way too much about games.
was never good
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM       
Finally got my review of the new Sonic game for Wii up:

http://erickandemily.com/index.php
Resident Lurker
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM       
That "some games" joke is a broken link. I want to know want which crappy wii game he was talking about!

Resident Lurker
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM       
Also, can somebody please tell me straight how the wii stacks up graphically compared to the original Xbox? I've heard that it is more powerful, but I'm not seeing it. Could the wii handle graphics along the lines of Riddick or Halo 2, etc. ?

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM       
No. It's Gamecube v1.5.

That's not saying things won't get better. I think things'll be lookin' good rather soon.
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM       
Hopefully. You never know with nintendo sometimes.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM       
isnt it like gamecube 2.0 power?

its definetely more powerful than all the 3 last gen systems
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM       
You'll never know a system's true graphical capabilities til a few years after it's released. Compare Shadow of the Colossus to, say, Summoner on the PS2.
was never good
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM       
On paper, the wii 's hardware is somewhere between the xbox and the xbox 360.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM       
Closer the XBOX I think. Doesn't really matter anyway. Doesn't take tremendous hardware to make fun games.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM       
Dude R-type is now downloadable on the wii.

I WISH I HAD ONE GODDAMNIT.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland View Post
Closer the XBOX I think. Doesn't really matter anyway. Doesn't take tremendous hardware to make fun games.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldasbiggestfan View Post
Dude R-type is now downloadable on the wii.

I WISH I HAD ONE GODDAMNIT.
Heheheh, R-Type has been downloadable for the PSP for a few weeks now. Of course that's the Playstation version. Not the same, but still sehr gut.
was never good
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM       
When the 360 came out, people everywhere were complaining that the differences between it and the normal XBox were intangible. I think that as developers get more time with the system - as they did with the 360 - that the Wii's graphics will begin to impress some people as well.