Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:43 AM        Rep. James Sesenbrenner takes his gavel and goes home
Go here for video: http://www.dembloggers.com/story/2005/6/10/54149/5115

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/11/po...11patriot.html

Hearing on Patriot Act Ends in an Angry Uproar

Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly
Reprints

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
Published: June 11, 2005
WASHINGTON, June 10 - A hearing on the antiterrorism law known as the USA Patriot Act degenerated into chaos on Friday, as Representative F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. called Democrats "irresponsible," gaveled the session to a premature close and stormed out of the room.

Skip to next paragraph

Forum: National Security
"I think this hearing very, very clearly shows what the opponents of the Patriot Act are doing," said Mr. Sensenbrenner, Republican of Wisconsin and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. "They will talk about practically everything but what is in the Patriot Act," he said, before closing: "Thank you all for coming. The committee is adjourned."

Representative Jerrold D. Nadler, Democrat of New York, protested, "Point of order!" as the Republican committee members filed out of the room; the staff eventually unplugged his microphone. "Even though the chairman is not going to listen," Mr. Nadler continued, "those of us who question some of the actions of the administration are seeking to make sure that our tradition of liberty and freedom is continued unsullied."

After Mr. Nadler spoke, one witness, Dr. James J. Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute, continued to testify, but about the hearing itself. "As we are lecturing foreign governments," he said, "I am really troubled by what kind of lesson this is going to teach to other countries in the world."

The hearing had grown heated well before Mr. Sensenbrenner pounded the gavel. After Chip Pitts, chairman of Amnesty International, said the detentions in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, were "the gulag of our time," Representative Mike Pence, Republican of Indiana, called the comparison "anti-historical, irresponsible and the type of rhetoric that endangers American lives."

In a statement, Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California and the minority leader, said, "The Republicans' abuse of power reached a new low this morning."

Anyone have a tip on how exactly to phrase my angry letters to my members of Congress demanding they condemn this behavior?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:44 AM       
I saw that on the Daily Show. That was fucking hilarious. They even cut off the guy's mics after he left.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:46 AM       
I'm so fucking pissed off right now.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:52 AM       
If people look at this and still refuse to believe that we're governed by people with the mentality of a 6 year old, then I don't know what will.