Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM        GOP leaders are naked
Fiscal conservatism is dead. And the funny thing is, I don't know if the American people care. We're in a new age of Big Government.

Republicans talk about cutting spending and all that jazz during races, and then completely dump it in practice. Somewhere, cold and alone, a Newt Gingrich is crying.

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/expor...ne/092705.html

GOP leaders are naked

by David Keene

The Republican congressional leaders want Indiana’s Rep. Mike Pence to go away, or at least shut up.

They say that he’s grandstanding by talking about cutting spending and that the effort of the Republican Study Committee (RSC), which he chairs, to force them to look for offsets as they prepare to spend as much as $200 billion on hurricane relief, on top of the spending that already has conservatives rolling their eyes, is “counterproductive.”

Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas), House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) and Majority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), among others, took Pence to the woodshed last week and, we are told, informed him in the bluntest terms that the problem is not runaway spending or the Democrats but him and the RSC. It seems to be the leaders’ belief that, by criticizing spending, Pence and his hundred-odd followers are not the “team players” they should be because it is at least possible that whipping up popular anger on the issue could convince people that the GOP isn’t doing all it can to deliver on decades of promises to America’s voters.

DeLay went so far as to argue preemptively even before the meeting that there is no wasteful spending in the federal budget because of the effective leadership he and his buddies have provided over the years. Though he’s backed off a little from this statement in the past few days, he laid out his views in Monday’s Washington Times on how Republicans ought to “handle” this volatile issue:

“Our positioning on this issue — as a party that is strongly identified with the American people as sensible and determined protectors of the hardworking taxpayer — demands a unified and clear opposition to those whose policies and agendas are hostile to the taxpayer’s best interests: Capitol Hill Democrats intent on raising taxes, free-spending special-interest groups intent on curing the ills of society by advocating federal dollars as the only solution and a bevy of bureaucrats more interested in an expansion of federal programs than the reduction of ineffective ones.”

What Mr. DeLay doesn’t get is that it is precisely that identification that is in danger — not from Pence, but from the actions of the GOP in office. Republicans around the country are beginning to question the wisdom of devoting their time, treasure and votes to a party that doesn’t take its commitments seriously.

The damage to the president on the issue is becoming more visible by the day. In July, more than 90 percent of Republicans gave him a high approval rating, but today that number has dropped into the low 70s in many polls. That drop accounts for most of the overall decline in the president’s approval rating.

Pence’s RSC has launched “Operation Offset,” suggesting dozens of ways to make cuts in other areas to compensate for the increased spending in the wake of the hurricane damage to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and, now, Texas. The RSC suggests revisiting some of the more than 6,000 earmarks included in the transportation bill and postponing for one year the implementation of the Medicare prescription-drug benefit.

Pence even offered to give up earmarks that benefit his Indiana district, and Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi thought that such a good idea that she chimed in with an offer to give up millions she won for her district. The fact that Pelosi was willing to go along with the offset approached won her cheers from the Heritage Foundation but outraged House GOP leaders who claim that Pence is merely playing into her hands.

Years ago, management guru Tom Peters suggested the slogan of many U.S. corporations might as well be “We’re no worse than anybody else.” It didn’t work for those businesses in a competitive world, and DeLay’s new slogan for the House Republicans, which might as well be “We’re not quite as bad as the Democrats,” isn’t going to be much more effective for his party. Washington Republicans may not care much about limiting spending or restraining the growth of government, but the people who hired them and sent them here do.

Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980 because he believed in people rather than government. While he didn’t always succeed, he fought for eight years in Washington to deliver on his promises to those who elected him. Today’s Republicans ape the Reagan rhetoric, but if their actions mean much they are as different from Reagan as the Republican liberals he vanquished in the early ’80s.

Mike Pence has been taken to the woodshed for pointing out the obvious — that today’s GOP emperors are as naked as jaybirds — and for that he should be applauded.

Keene, chairman of the American Conservative Union, is a managing associate with Carmen Group, a D.C.-based governmental-affairs firm (www.carmengrouplobbying.com).
Mocker
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM       
Do the Democrats offer an alternative, rather than just opposition!??!

http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110007321

Penny-Wise Pelosi
Democrats try to reinvent themselves as the party of fiscal discipline.

BY BRENDAN MINITER
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:01 a.m.

If Democrats retake the House next year, we can mark the start of the party's resurgence to a speech Nancy Pelosi delivered on Capitol Hill last week. It was there, at a press conference called to attack Republicans over their response to Hurricane Katrina, that the House minority leader actually used the words "waste, fraud and abuse" in talking about government spending.
What Ms. Pelosi and a few other Democrats seem to be figuring out in the wake of Katrina is that Americans aren't happy with their government throwing billions of dollars around with little if any accountability. Therefore she's laying out a legislative agenda aimed at capturing the mantle of fiscal responsibility. So far that agenda includes calling for an "antifraud commission" to look into Katrina spending as well as an independent examination--modeled after the 9/11 Commission--of the government's response to the monster storm. And, of course, her party has long attacked Republicans for deficit spending and no-bid contracts to Halliburton in Iraq. A Halliburton subsidiary is already coming under scrutiny for receiving a contract to help rebuild the Gulf Coast.

What Ms. Pelosi is now counting on is that as Republican spending goes through the roof, obstructionism might finally pay off for Democrats.

This may come as a shock to some on the right. It shouldn't. Republicans have held the House for almost 12 years and have occupied the White House for all but eight of the past 25 years, yet they have failed to shut off the spending valves in Washington. It was only a matter of time before Democrats ran against wasteful Republican spending. It's also not surprising that Democrats would claim the mantle of fiscal responsibility, for that claim has won them elections in the past. Indeed, it's how Sam Rayburn--the legendary speaker who now has a House office building named after him--won back the House for Democrats in 1954 and handed the party 40 years of uninterrupted control.
Ms. Pelosi isn't thinking that long-term, yet. But her actions suggest she is following Rayburn's playbook. At the time, 1952 looked like a very good year for Republicans and might have been a post-FDR Republican resurgence. The GOP won both the House and Senate and elected Dwight D. Eisenhower president, and that year Barry Goldwater won the seat from which he later ran for president. But Ike turned out to be a big spender who pumped large sums of money into Social Security, foreign aid and schools. He also began Republicans' love affair with laying asphalt by launching the largest domestic infrastructure program in history, the interstate highway system. To pay for this agenda, he killed Sen. Robert Taft's efforts to cut World-War-II-era tax rates.

Sensing that many voters felt the government didn't really need high tax rates in the booming postwar economy, Rayburn and other Democrats proposed their own tax cut. Ike fell into their trap. He declared he'd fight any tax cut while there was a federal deficit--all but guaranteeing that the government would stay in the red. But instead of winning points for being fiscally responsible, he handed the 1954 election to the Democrats, who won control of the House and Senate. In 1956 a surging economy created a surplus, but there was no tax cut, and Democrats held onto Congress even as Ike was re-elected.

It wasn't until the 1960s and the Kennedy tax cut that Americans finally saw their tax bills fall. In 1964 LBJ won a landslide victory--for a variety of reasons--but by 1968, when the cost of the Great Society became apparent, Democrats lost the presidency. But that's getting ahead of our story.

Ms. Pelosi is on step one--about where Rayburn was in 1953--so she is offering to let some highway money earmarked for California be used for Katrina relief and is desperately looking for other ways to pose as a fiscal conservative. Don't be too surprised if she finds a tax cut to embrace--perhaps, repealing the alternative minimum tax, which hits affluent blue-staters especially hard.
For Republicans this may all seem to be an unlikely turnabout of political fortunes. But if they don't want to see Ms. Pelosi become speaker, "offsetting" the cost of Katrina by delaying new programs for a "few years," as Sen. Jon Kyl said on Fox News Channel yesterday, and providing responsible leadership in the cleanup of Hurricane Rita aren't going to be enough. Republicans were sent to Washington in the 1950s to repeal the New Deal. Voters sent them packing when it became clear they were big spenders. In the 1990s Republicans were sent to Washington to repeal the Great Society. If they too turn out to be big spenders, they can expect a similar fate.
Mr. Miniter is assistant editor of OpinionJournal.com. His column appears Tuesdays.

Copyright © 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM       
Both parties offer wedge issues they have no actual belief in to attain power. Once there they abuse it to enrich themsleves and their friends.

I favor the D's over the R's because in the rare instance they do something in line with their supposed core values, it's something I want done. The reverse is true of the R's.

Our electoral process favors people willing (if not eager) to sacrafice integrity.

The public seems willing to abandon or even reverse any principle as long as their team espouses it.

Unfortunately for me, I think revolution is almost always a very, very, very bad deal, except for the times it's worse.

I say throw the incumbents out, no matter who they are. At least it will take the new guys a little time to get big money as far up their ass as the old guys already had it, and during that brief grace period the country might scab over a little.
Mocker
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Both parties offer wedge issues they have no actual belief in to attain power. Once there they abuse it to enrich themsleves and their friends.
Agreed. But what I find the most interesting is that not only are the Republicans full of poop on the spending issue, but they are actually going after their point-man on pork in Congress. Hilarious.

Quote:
I say throw the incumbents out, no matter who they are. At least it will take the new guys a little time to get big money as far up their ass as the old guys already had it, and during that brief grace period the country might scab over a little.
Good idea.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...mment-opinions
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:12 PM        Re: GOP leaders are naked
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Somewhere, cold and alone, a Newt Gingrich is crying.
Frikkin LOL

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM       
I try.
=======

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM       
Somewhere I have a picture of me and Newt... I'm not sure why.

You have diminished the already low value of that picture because Newt is not cold and naked in it.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM       
I said cold and alone, buddy. Where's your mind at.
=======

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:06 PM       
Quote:
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:02 pm Post subject: GOP leaders are naked
YOU, sir, are the one bringing up Newt in a thread about naked GOP leaders, not me!

...and that should've been a question mark there at the end of your comment.

Mocker
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM       
Whatever, pervert.
=======

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM       
Whatever, indeed.

Anyhoo, I'm off backstage to meet Chris Martin. I'll be sure to ask him what he thinks about all these goings on you have been busying yourself with here. I just love to hear what important people think about stuff.

Mocker
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM       
Did you convert him to Libertarianism?