Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM       
Good review, I agree with just about everything.

I'd only add that the editing threw me a little bit. Some of the cuts were slightly jarring as a "scene" would only last about four seconds; kinda felt like I was watching a trailer at times. It didn't really hurt the movie, though. On that note, I imagine they had to do a lot of cutting just to get it within sight of two hours runtime; the director's cut on the DVD will probably add at least half an hour.

pac-man, I know you meant "Hear, hear."
nilus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM       
A near perfect movie. The only problem I had with it was the Batman voice and that is such a minor problem. Me and my wife saw a 9:30 AM show on Friday because I find its the best time to go see opening weekend movies. Its usually pretty dead, but this was the first time that I was in a packed theater. Heath Ledgers performance was amazing, makes his loss even more tragic.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggs View Post
pac-man, I know you meant "Hear, hear."
How'd you guess?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:36 PM       
har har
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM       
I've heard some critics talk about how the film breathlessly goes so quick, but that's irrelavent. This film is jaw-dropping. Fucking SPOT-ON review, Proto.

And it beat My Chemical Spider-Fag in the box office, which is a nice addition.
Ba dum dum dum dum
Alcibiades is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM       
Ledgers Joker was terrifying in his simplicity. That's the kind of real madman that could terrorize the world. No need for overly elaborate powers or fancy gadgets, just pretty much focused insanity with the intelligence to bring his mad whims to life.

I mean, when you see villains from other superhero movies they just don't scare you the way he does. He could've easily been in one of those 'Serial Killer' movies that were popular a few years back... but I'd say he's even more real and frightening than most of those hacks were.

He's the Hanibal Lector of Supervillains
Forum Virgin
TheSyndicate88 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM       
I work at a movie theatre (BigMac500, I'm watching you for that 'retarded teen' comment lol) and so I've seen The Dark Knight about 5 times already. I'm still not sick of it. Every time I watch it feels like the first time. It's that good.

Also, for all the praise of Ledger's Joker, I think one line alone defines him as the best in my book. I'm paraphrasing here, but it's something like: "I believe we're destined to do this forever. You won't kill me out of some misguided self-righteous mission, and I won't kill you because you're just too much fun!"

It perfectly defines the Joker, becuase he's the one villain who was ever a match for Batman. I love Nicholson's take, but he's too frail, in more ways than one. Ledger makes it clear that the Joker could easily kill Batman, but he's so crazy he'd rather keep him alive for his own enjoyment.
Forum Virgin
Hanglyman is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM       
This movie was fantastic... I'm pretty critical when it comes to movies, but there were really only two things in the entire movie I found even questionable- one is the Bat-voice, which made not only me but everyone I was with giggle. He sounds like Solid Snake, only even more over-the-top. Maybe the mask does something to his throat, since he talks in that voice even when he's alone with people who know he's Bruce Wayne, so it seems less likely the voice is to protect his identity. Or maybe he's just so crazy that he has a dual personality that comes out when he's wearing the costume.

Anyway, the only other flaw I could see was the dialog in the truck chase scene. The rest of the movie seems very well-written, but in this sequence we get generic action-movie lines like "That's not good!" and even the Joker is reduced to saying things like "There's a Batman!". I know they're concentrating on driving and all, so grunting out obvious, absent-minded comments might be realistic, but it seemed really out of place compared to the elegance of the rest of the movie.
Vanhelm13 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM       
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm kinda annoyed with how it seems the Joker is portrayed, mostly it's his look. He looks like he "just doesn't care" or something, but I've always thought of the joker of a guy who takes pride in his overwhelming style, which is to say that he keeps his suit, hair, and everything else of his in near perfect condition...
Also he seems to act more like a complete psychopath in the trailers, which isn't really what he is. The joker is more of a sociopath. He feels no remorse or whatever, not that he's some batshit mother fucker who wants to see everyone die.

But whatever. Batman is the best "super"hero ever (who doesn't have a nuclear powered pogo) and Nolan did a damn fine job of Begins, despite the weird ass not-batmobile, so I'm sure it's a great movie.
Suicidal Chipmunk
JJ the Jetplane is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM       
i haven't gotten to see the movie, and probably won't be able too until the DVD comes out, which makes me sad. My mom went to see it, though, but that thought just makes me even sadder.
Forum Virgin
Hanglyman is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM       
Valhelm13- I wouldn't be too worried about the Joker being a psychopath in the movie... he does kill quite a few people, but they don't portray him as being a mass-murdering lunatic out of a slasher film. He really is more of a sociopath, especially as the movie progresses. Can't argue about the style, though... he starts off looking kind of like a dirty hobo in really messy clown paint, and gets more and more disheveled from there.

He's possibly less true to the comics than the Jack Nicholson portrayal of the Joker, but in my opinion it's a very interesting take on the character, and I really see them as two very different but equally valid Jokers. You might still be annoyed with how he looks, but I doubt you'll be disappointed in the actual character when you see the movie.
Forum Virgin
Orastella is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM       
Saw this movie Sunday. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Forum Virgin
Redem is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM       
Well one of the thing they got right with the joker if you ask me is how when he does his little trick it basicly make you laugh and then make you realize how wrong it was really, basicly they understood that the joker basicly try to apply slapstick physic in our world, therefore making it quite deadly
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM       
I just think the Joker wasn't insane enough.

He just looks like a really smart, driven anarchist type instead of a real fucking wackjob psycho.

His pranks weren't all that funny :o
He felt a lot more like a run-of-the-mill terrorist than a supervilain.

Still he was cool
Forum Virgin
KillerMcGee is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM       
i thought it dragged a little in the middle.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM       
there was (i think? i'm not sure) a comment from pac-man referencing the maxx

i cannot and do not want to imagine a maxx movie

ever
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM       
I likes PIE!
comhcinc is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM       
I have to disagree with alot of this praise. Mainly two points. The "Batman voice" was just silly and took me out of the movie every time. This movie was too long, it should have been two movies. The right place to end this movie was when the Joker escaped the police station.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM       
But people don't like movies that end on down-notes.
Cast "Summon Boat"
Rebel Without a Sauce is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM       
Empire Strikes Back is proof of that.

Waaait. I meant the exact opposite of everything I said there. I hate it when I do that!

Anway, The Dark Knight left me feeling dead inside.

Man. DID. IT. AGAIN.

Living to hate, dying to love. Look, just gimme a hug.
Forum Chaos Lord
Jaimas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 02:33 AM       
This movie gave me faith in mankind.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post

ever
have you seen the animated series
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post

ever
I referenced The Maxx comic in another thread a while back, but other than that I haven't talked about it. The TV show was great. I'm sure they could do a movie version that wouldn't be a complete mess.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Without a Sauce View Post
Empire Strikes Back is proof of that.

Waaait. I meant the exact opposite of everything I said there. I hate it when I do that!

Anway, The Dark Knight left me feeling dead inside.

Man. DID. IT. AGAIN.
This movie is a bit fucking different I'd say, you dull twit.

yabuturtle sucks
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM       
Well I have to say that The Dark Knight was pretty impressive. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and it was much better than Batman Begins ( Batman Begins was good but a little overrated). Batman's voice is kind of silly though just like in the previous movie. I really don't know why he has to sound like that. It sounds like he forces it out. It's like...he's trying too hard to sound dark and menacing. He should sound more like Michael Keaton's Batman. Even though The Dark Knight was pretty damn good, I still think it was slightly overrated. And the hype was insane. Still, I enjoyed it a lot. The Joker was well handled here. Better than I expected. Although he didn't laugh as much I thought he would. But when he DID laugh, it sent chills down to my spine. Also I didn't know Two-Face was gonna show up here. I knew Harvey Dent was going to be there, but Two-Face showed up much earlier than I thought he would. (I didn't really read too much on The Dark Knight since I didn't wanna ruin any surprises that would be in store for me). And of course, this Two-Face beats the shit out of Tommy Lee Jone's Two-Face. As for comparing Joker's, I think it's dumb. All of the Joker's are good in their own way. I thought this Joker would be average, but Heath really surprised me.

Overall, the movie is pretty good. I'm not sure if it blew me away, but it was really close to doing that.