Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:55 PM        Fear, Martial Law, Nationalism, and an EAGLE
Let's see. The Democrats announced their VP selection, John Edwards. This has gotten a lot of democrats and independents energized and had gotten lots of news coverage. How should the Bush Administration respond to this? Unsubstantiated terror threats.

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=5621516

Quote:
Ridge Cites New Al Qaeda Attack Plans
Thu Jul 8, 2004 11:29 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is not raising its terror alert level, despite new intelligence that al Qaeda is moving forward with plans to attack the United States in this presidential election year, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said on Thursday.

"While we are not raising the color-coded threat level today, we are constantly reviewing threat reporting and strengthening the nation's security," Ridge told a press conference.

The terror alert level will stay at elevated, which is yellow, or the third of five levels on the color-coded scale.

"Credible reporting now indicates that al Qaeda is moving forward with its plans to carry out a large scale attack in the United States in an effort to disrupt our democratic process," Ridge said. U.S. authorities had no knowledge about precise place or time of such an attack he added.
So, once again: NO evidence, the threat level is NOT being raised (wow, this is familiar), and the target is the "election process", a vague idea more than a target. That's like when they target "freedom" (W's favorite threat) or maybe the next target will be "your souls."

Well, it's a damn good thing in the face of this vague, non-specific, possibly fabricated threat that we have such a brave war-time president to defend us all right?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...on_terrorism_1

Quote:
Voting Official Seeks Terrorism Guidelines

By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The government needs to establish guidelines for canceling or rescheduling elections if terrorists strike the United States again, says the chairman of a new federal voting commission
What's that? Cancel the elections? Well, we'd have to follow our war-time president no matter what. I mean, he obviously knows what's best for us and cares about us deeply and honestly. So don't worry. Even though General Tommy Franks already said another terrorist attack in the US and we would scrap the constitution and declare martial law. So I guess you not getting to vote is no biggie.

And what will the global media and foreign news say about this? Well, they won't be allowed in the country:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/sto...256588,00.html

Quote:
A crackdown by US authorities on issuing visas to foreign journalists threatens to cause chaos for overseas broadcasters and newspapers just five months before the presidential election. The new rules, which come into force next week, will ban overseas reporters and news crews stationed in the US from renewing their visas without leaving the country first.
Just five months before American voters decide who will be appointed to the most powerful office in the world, the US state department said it would no longer allow overseas journalists to renew visas from within the country.
From next week the estimated 20,000 foreign journalists stationed in the US, who used to be able to renew their visas with ease in any major city, will be forced to leave the country to do so. Rather than applying to renew their visas in Washington or New York, they will be forced to leave the country and re-apply at a US embassy or consulate abroad, delaying their application for between four weeks and six months.
The move has been criticised in the US by the Society for Professional Journalists, which has voiced concerns that in addition to creating logistical problems for thousands of foreign journalists, it could lead to a backlash against American reporters working overseas
At the very least this will keep those god-damn freedom-hating foreigners from intereferring with our election coverage. If the U.S. media corporate spin-machine is good enough for me it can be good enough for you. This is in NO WAY a MEDIA BLACKOUT. That would be absurd. This is just a step to make sure we don't get another ignorant Irish journalist asking our president questions and not sticking to the script. They did it to themselves, it's not our fault.

Now, as promised, an eagle to stare at:

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:15 PM       
I'm going to be really pissed if they shut down the internet under martial law.. i don't have my ham radio yet damnit!
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM       
The funny thing is the Terrorists don't hate democracy they hate the U.S.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM       
No offense, arrowx, but you don't strike me as an expert on terrorism.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM       
All of a sudden I had a vision...

Philippines..

Lots of shoes...
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
No offense, arrowx, but you don't strike me as an expert on terrorism.
You'd be surprised.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM       
meaning that he has a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook and he scribbles his angsty teen goth poetry on the pages.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:28 PM       
No no, it means that his neighbour has semi-dark skin and speaks with a slight accent.

conus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:03 AM       
Quote:
All of a sudden I had a vision...

Philippines..

Yeah. Having lived in Manila for 12 years I remember how the public, at last initially, uneasily approved of Marcos' martial law declaration. Having frightened them, he was going to protect them. I've been a little uncomfortable since the "election" of this Bush character, but I'm not overly worried. As much as I hated Ferdinand Marcos, I have to admit that the man was competent. I don't believe Bush could pull it off, no matter how much he might want it.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM       
dude how old are you, Marcos was in power in the 60's-70's.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM       
Martial law was declared in 9/72. In the Philippines, that is. Why, is there an age limit?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM       
man I hope not...Max and I are probably the oldest bastards here...
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM       
Martial law was declared for a short time in Canada during the '70s. Smelly French terrorists were the reason.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM       
No age limit. Just surprised to hear someone talk about the Marcos regime in the first person here.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:55 PM       
conus, it's just shocking that you aren't another obnoxious teenager. this place is absolutely swarming with them. :P
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 11:31 AM       
And the rocket's red glaaaaaaaaare!

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM       
Conus, welcome aboard! PG wasn't 'dissing' you, as the kids will say these days, but the demographic around here sometimes tilts young. It's older than when I first dragged my carcas up here looking for teenage girls who'd be impressed by the fact that I actively recall the Watergate hearings. (though admittedly they are my first concrete political memories). There's grown ups here, some of us with kids, not that Id' let them anywhere near this damn site.

All of which is to say, the longer view is a very good thing to throw into the mix here.

AND THE RET OF YOU STAY THE HELL OFF MY DAMN LAWN! I GOT THE COPS ON SPEED DIAL!!

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM       
Thanks. I too remember the Watergate hearings and am still a little irritated that Dick Nixon died. He finally made good his promise that I'd no longer have him to kick around. Bush is okay, but he's really not in the same league as Nixon and Marcos. It's almost like making fun of a retarded person.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:43 PM       
hey let's ding dong ditch old man burbanks house
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM       
I'm only old compared to you batsrads. That's right, I said batsrads.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:38 PM       
:burningbagofdogpoop

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:19 PM       
Quote:
There's grown ups here, some of us with kids, not that Id' let them anywhere near this damn site.
Does that mean you won't let me babysit?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:44 AM       
I could never trust anyone who posted here to look after my kids.