Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Is Polybius real?
Yes. 0 0%
No, it's a load of shit. Fuck off and die. 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Paul138 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM        Polybius
Polybius is one of those modern urban legends you hear about and you think "You gotta be shittin' me!" Well, since i-mockery is basically founded on video games I'll bring this up. Here's some info on it, from coinop.org:

Quote:
Game Summary
We need information.
Game Details
This game had a very limited release, one or two backwater arcades in a suburb of Portland. The history of this game is cloudy, there were all kinds of strange stories about how kids who played it got amnesia afterwards, couldn't remember their name or where they lived, etc.
The bizarre rumors about this game are that it was supposedly developed by some kind of weird military tech offshoot group, used some kind of proprietary behavior modification algorithms developed for the CIA or something, kids who played it woke up at night screaming, having horrible nightmares.

According to an operator who ran an arcade with one of these games, guys in black coats would come to collect "records" from the machines. They're not interested in quarters or anything, they just collected information about how the game was played.

The game was weird looking, kind of abstract, fast action with some puzzle elements, the kids who played it stopped playing games entirely, one of them became a big anti videogame crusader or something. We've contacted one person who met him, and he claims the machines disappeard after a month or so and no one ever heard about them again.

Until the ROM showed up.

Here's what we've found so far:

Found english strings "insert coin" and "press 1 player start" and "only" - looks like a 1 or 2 player game.
Text in the game says "(C) 1981 Sinneslöschen" Maybe a German company?
If anyone has heard any additional information about this game, we'd appreciate hearing about it.

Coinop.org Member Ratings / Comments
by Lady_Eboshi . Comment: "The name "Sinneschlossen" is German for "senses-deleting" or "senseless" and I think Polybius was the name of a many-eyed monster in Greek mythology. Has anyone considered emulating it for MAME?" (2003-03-02 21:40:45Z)
That's it in a nutshell, and here's a pic:

http://www.coinop.org/Image.aspx?g=8...9-0808e7576bb0

Personal thoughts on the subject anyone? Also, anyone have a ROM for it? This would make a great minimock...
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:25 PM       
Anyone could have easily made that title screen in paint. The story seems like a pile of bull shit.
Paul138 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:17 PM       
Yeah that's the thing about the title screen. The font has been used in multiple arcade games (Williams games, I think). No one can prove this game exists... but damn it I'd love to pick up a ROM of it.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:57 PM       
i think the whole idea of men in black suits is kinda cliche. I mean unless you want to draw attention, you could send some one looking like a repair guy, or something like that. :/
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:51 PM       
Yeah, I think I had that game but I don't remember because I may have gotten amnesia. :rollfuckingeyes

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog