Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
Plus that website said cardio is better for the amount of calories you lose when you're not exercising (over the short term).
Haven't read the article yet since I have a test I'm supposedly studying for, but it sounds like broscience to me. As I demonstrated through logic above, weight training will cause a far greater requirement for muscular repair. Maybe they're factoring in an increase in metabolism? Which is largely tied to genetics and diet in the first place.

Either way, that's why I had recommended that people do both cardio and strength training, but to focus on the strength training.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM       
it might be "broscience" but it seems like they cited at least two actual studies that did actual research.

Just because it causes a greater requirement for muscular repair doesn't matter if : the initial amount of calories burned isn't shit, the amount of calories you gain through muscular repair isn't shit, and you are comparing it to something which has a higher initial amount of calories burned, you can run and burn calories every day instead of resting and the calories you burn while you run is way more than would be lost through muscular repair, and you have to repair muscles with cardio anyway.

This is like saying, "IF YOU DO STRENGTH TRAINING YOULL LOSE 2 BUT ON THE OFF DAYS YOU WILL LOSE 3 BUT IF YOU DO CARDIO YOULL LOSE 5 STUFFS BUT ONLY LOSE ONE FOR EACH OFF DAY OH EXCEPT THERE WONT BE AS MANY OFFDAYS CAUSE YOU CAN EXERCISE EVERYDAY SO WHILE YOURE WAITING AROUND LOSING LIKE THREE WATEVESS YOU COULD BE RUNNING AND LOSING FIVE."

Your logic demonstrates nothing.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM       
So, again, do both, faggot.

If you do ONE or THE OTHER, strength training will win in terms of efficiency WITHIN A SANE TIMEFRAME. If you CAN run for 4 hours 7 days a week, which one is best would be completely immaterial to you. You would also be tremendously fit but still look like a skinnyfat asshole, but that's neither here nor there.

I mean, of fucking course if you spend 9,012 hours running in a week, you will hit your muscles harder than weight training and will burn more calories. That isn't the point. People who aren't legendary athletes can be expected to spend about 5 hours a week exercising. 3 hours is a reasonable weekly max for strength training, and 7 hours is a reasonable weekly max for cardio -- but again, time and conditioning are factors. SO, you should spend the maximum cumulative amount of time lifting (approx. 3 hours), and then do cardio when you have free time for the rest of the week (approx. 2 hours).

When i'm dieting, I tend to spend 5 hours/week exercising (3 lifting, 2 cardio).
When i'm eating at maintenance, I tend to spend 7 hours/week exercising (3 lifting, 4 cardio).

What do you have the time and energy for? Make time for your strength training first, and then fill the rest with your gay hippie cardio.
was never good
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM       
HERE I HAVE DESIGNED A HELPFUL GRAPH FOR YOU

TOTALLY MAGIC-FREE AND LABOR INTENSIVE

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM       
can i also make a magic chart depicting the exact opposite of what you are saying and say that it works? :O
BANNED

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM       
one thing that you didnt consider is that many of the people who will be exercising are fat people and running when you're fat takes extra calories.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:37 AM       
Fuck the gym. Its infested with germs and bacteria and you'll end up with either the flu or mrsa, whichever comes first. Its kettlebells and training videos on youtube this winter for me, bitches. Plus 30 second sprints 6 times, 3-5 days a week.
BANNED

Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM       
ALSO HERE IS MY CHART DOCUMENTING OUR ARGUMENT:

BANNED

Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM       
oh yea and here's an ACTUAl TRUTHFUL representation of that which you chart was trying to depict:

NOW THIS CHART IS SUPERIOR TO YOURS FOR MULTIPLE REASONS. FOR ONE IT IS TRUE AND YOURS IS A LIE. FOR TWO IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT FAT PEOPLE CANT RUN VERY WELL AND THAT WHEN FAT PEOPLE RUN THEY ARE OFTEN CARRYING AROUND HUNDREDS OF EXTRA POUNDS OF WEIGHT WHICH SORTA MAKES IT STRENGTH TRAINING ANYWAY BUT ANYWAY HAVING TO CARRY ALL THAT SHIT MEANS THEY GET EXTRA BENEFITS FROM CARDIO. PLUS FAT PEOPLE GET SO TIRED FROM RUNNING THAT IT TAKES MONTHS FOR THEIR HEART RATE TO REALLY GO DOWN SO THEY RECEIVE LASTING BENEFITS EVERYTIME THEY RUN
WE ALSO KNOW THAT FAT PEOPLE ARE NATURALLY STRONG AND HAVE SUPER REGENERATIVE ABILITIES AND AS SUCH IT HAS BEEN NOTED IN MY CHART THAT FAT PEOPLE WONT GET MUCH BENEFIT FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
WE ALSO KNOW THAT FAT PEOPLE ARE NATURALLY STRONG AND HAVE SUPER REGENERATIVE ABILITIES AND AS SUCH IT HAS BEEN NOTED IN MY CHART THAT FAT PEOPLE WONT GET MUCH BENEFIT FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS
was never good
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM       
wat
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 01:27 AM       
Dear brodunce

Hey chojin, has all that strength training given you any stretch marks? A few years ago I started a daily exercise regime that overtime got cut down to 50 push-ups a day (I didn't start off at fifty but I got there eventually). I did this faithfully for a quarter of a year and then got lazy and stopped. Now I have these isolated stretch marks on my shoulders and I'm wondering if this is normal.
was never good
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM       
i have some stretch marks under my pits but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with being fat

however yeah stretch marks can happen if you get buff, the best way to handle it is to apply cocoa butter to the skin every once in a while before the marks form.
BANNED

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
i have some stink marks under my pits but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with being fat
wat
was never good
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM       
woah, how did you edit my quoted post like that

it's like magic
BANNED

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM       

Quote:
woah, how did you fuck my sweet ass like that

it's like a hot fudge surprise
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas View Post
Dear brodunce

Hey chojin, has all that strength training given you any stretch marks? A few years ago I started a daily exercise regime that overtime got cut down to 50 push-ups a day (I didn't start off at fifty but I got there eventually). I did this faithfully for a quarter of a year and then got lazy and stopped. Now I have these isolated stretch marks on my shoulders and I'm wondering if this is normal.
i had that happen when i used to lift in hs i also have some from getting fat

I WEAR A SHIRT IN THE POOL
BANNED

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM       
i also wear shirts in the pool :O :O
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:16 AM       
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xrr8XQ_-Y

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM       
hahahahah oh product inventors, why do you make such ridiculous products
OH GOD
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:26 AM       
I ALREADY DO THAT EXERCISE PLENTY THANKS
BANNED

Old Dec 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM       
"when you have completed the exercise the shake it off weight machine will shoot a creamy goo onto your breasts"
Darryl is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
strength training is not superior to cardio. in cardio, you will lose weight faster because you are burning more calories in less amount of time than you would in strength training alone.
I am only on post #16 of this thread so far, but a thought occurred to me about metabolism. Elx, didn't I see a picture of you, and you're pretty trim? I think maybe you can do your cardio and stay trim because your metabolism runs at a high rate.

Meaning, to get the results you want, you can do less work than someone like me, with a much slower metabolism. I need to speed it up. So, I need to work on my strength training and my five meals per day and work in cardio, too, because my endurance is low. I have to work harder than you to see results.

So, from your perspective, doing your cardio works just fine for you.

There's a girl at my gym like that. She eats like crazy, whatever and whenever she wants. And must be 100lbs.

Discuss.
was never good
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM       
Nah, girls just like cardio because it isn't hard, they're terrified of becoming Chyna, and their shitty health mags tell them it's awesome. Also, they can watch Oprah while they do it.

This also explains kahljorn, btw
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM       
Chojin, I found a great way to tone your stomach!

Develope a ridiculous sneezing allergy, and have no antihistamenes. Feel the burn!