Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM        MattJack's Comic Discussion Thread
So over the past 3-4 weeks I've been reading comics. I looked through this thread and ending up taking some of yall's recommendations. I have been reading a couple a week obviously, and I really, really enjoy reading them.

Here is what I've read so far:
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
I Am Legend
Kingdom Come
Preacher vol. 1-2
Superman: Red Son

I have The Invisibles vol. 1-2, just haven't gotten a chance to read them.

I'll just go over real quick what I thought of the ones I've read..

I have to say the my favorite was Return of the Dark Knight. I liked it all the way around. **Spoils**ESP when Superman gets his shi* pushed in.****

Batman: Year One was cool too. I really like how they presented Jim Gordon. It was a short read, but still good imo.

Watchmen was also amazing. Didn't see the ending coming at all. I kind of had the same issues Scru had with the ending, but I made peace with those issues. Awesome book, and now I'm absolutely dreading the movie

I didn't really care for Kingdom Come. The art was simply amazing, but I think I hate Superman. He just seems like too much of a little b*tch for his own good. Idk, I guess that's his angle? Plus I felt that there were so many characters (especially ones that I'm not familiar with)that maybe character development was slightly hindered? Idk, just didn't care for this one's story. Quite a bore. Not to mention predictable.

I enjoyed Superman: Red Son much, much more than Kingdom Come just because of the plot/story. Obviously the art wasn't nearly as good, but to me the art should be secondary. I know people will think I'm dumb for liking this better than Kingdom Come, but i dun care.

Preacher vol. 1 was really cool. I like the whole plot that they set up. The characters are pretty cool as well. Cassidy is probably my favorite character. Then I read vol. 2 and it got completely over the top, but in a good way. I've order vol.3-5 and I'm waiting for them. Preacher is so ridiculous and over the top that it's hard to set down. It seems like every other page somebody is either fighting, getting shot in the face, or fuc*ing.

I Am Legend was kind of a boring read at times, but still not bad. I had issues with the ending. Kind of seemed really stupid actually, but meh.

I don't know what The Invisibles is about, just ordered them after seeing yall speak so highly of them, so I'm sure I will like the series.

What else do yall recommend? I want to read something Marvel related because I've really been in the DC Universe this whole time. Is Deadpool, The Punisher, or X-Men any good? I don't really know where to start with Marvel.

Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy and/or have extensive knowledge of comics, so I'm pretty much open minded to anything right now. That is of course with the exception of Superman. I really h8 him.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM       
I don't actually like comics, but every last one of my friends keeps trying to get me to read the Sandman series, and people are always recommending it all over the whole damn internet, so it might be worth a shot

I understand it's real fucking artsy, though
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM       
Wait, I've flipped threw one or two of the Sandman in B&N. Didn't really "grab" me, but then again you can't judge a book by its cover. The art in it was kind of odd, but Gaiman did have a hand in Watchmen, so it may be worth a shot.

Last edited by MattJack : Sep 19th, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: wait nvm
¿
wobzire is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM       
I think a healthy dose of both. I still plan on reading it anyhow.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM       
A friend also lent me a three part horror comic a little while ago, I remember it had a bunch of nazis getting fucked over. I liked it at the time, I'll see if I can track it down again
Ancient Mariner
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM       
Found it, it was The Keep.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM       
I have a close friend who's into comics and he passes me stuff he thinks I will dig from time to mine. I just read a series called 'Proof', which is sort of like Hellboy only with cryptids in place of demons.

A team lead by a civilized Bigfoot hunts down Chupacabra.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM       
THE MAXX KID THE MAXX
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM       
Skydoll
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM       
DEADPOOL IS ALL YOU NEED SON.

Kick-Ass is probably my new favorite book, and I also read The Exterminators.
Forum Virgin
Cult_Status is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM       
BPRD 1946 is great if you like the Hellboy ilk. (Not sure if it's in trade form yet though.

/edit/ I'm an idiot and obviously didn't read the whole post so I'll shut up about Kingdom Come.

Last edited by Cult_Status : Sep 22nd, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and didn't read whole post
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Tithonus Pednaud View Post
I have a close friend who's into comics and he passes me stuff he thinks I will dig from time to mine. I just read a series called 'Proof', which is sort of like Hellboy only with cryptids in place of demons.

A team lead by a civilized Bigfoot hunts down Chupacabra.
That sounds fucking awesome.

That was very funny. Well done.
Yukiko is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM       
Ever read Bondage Fearies? Pammie is sooooo kawaii!!! I don't like the baboon though, he's kind of a pervy Mervy! The one were Pfil gets held hostage by Pammie's exgirlfriend is scary!
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM       
Goddamn Yukiko, I'm going to eat your vagina, and I don't mean sexually, and what I mean by that is, I'm going to rip it off with my teeth, and swallow that fucker down.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Skydoll
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM       
OMG! Your disgusting!!!!
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM       
Says the one who reads 'Bondage Faeries'.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM       
It's ok to like cute comic books. Just because you've moved on to being gay doesn't mean you have to hate stuff about girls. Insect Hunters was so adorable!
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM       
I read some Punisher comics during the summer, and personally liked them alot. I'd suggest you to give it a try.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko View Post
It's ok to like cute comic books. Just because you've moved on to being gay doesn't mean you have to hate stuff about girls. Insect Hunters was so adorable!
BONDAGE faeries.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM       
Reading comincs really makes you IM'Potent.

Age of Apocalypse during the 1990's was really good.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM       
Seconding Deadpool.

If you're feeling adventurous and open minded you could try Nausicaa. The hippie tone of it is ridiculous at more than a few points, but it's an incredibly well done comic and has probably my favorite ending ever.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM       
Deadpool is awesome.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 04:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
Age of Apocalypse during the 1990's was really good.
There's so fucking much of it, though.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM       
Unfortunately, I never got to read many comics in my life, because the only comic book store that wasn't downtown or otherwise way the hell away was run by this one creepy motherfucker who would yell at you if you didn't buy anything within five minutes of browsing.
Don't even get me started on the RAAAAAAAGE he'd pull if you were caught reading them without buying. We went in once and are still a little wary of him.