Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM        Open your coffers, kids!
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/25/po...rint&position=

Quote:
"Corporate dollars are flowing rather freely," said Wright H. Andrews Jr., a lobbyist at Butera & Andrews. "A lot of folks are saying, 'Let the good times roll.' "
The party of the people.

July 25, 2004
For Corporate Donors, the Restraints Are Off
By GLEN JUSTICE

WASHINGTON, July 24 - As the political conventions begin, corporate big spenders, who have been restrained by new campaign finance laws, finally can cut loose.

The Raytheon Company, IBM and Fidelity Investments each gave at least $1 million to the host committee for the Democratic National Convention in Boston, according to a donor list. AT&T, Amgen and Nextel Communications each gave at least $500,000. In all, more than 150 donors have contributed more than $39.5 million - money they could not legally give to a political party or a candidate under the new law but are permitted to donate to a convention.

"Corporate dollars are flowing rather freely," said Wright H. Andrews Jr., a lobbyist at Butera & Andrews. "A lot of folks are saying, 'Let the good times roll.' "

Indeed, donors are outdoing themselves to finance the conventions and spend money on parties throughout Boston and New York, courtesy of provisions in federal campaign finance laws and Congressional ethics rules that allow almost unlimited spending at conventions and their attendant social events.

In Boston this week, there will be a reception at Fenway Park before the Red Sox play the Yankees, as well as boat cruises, golf outings, concerts and late night events in locations like the trendy club Saint, which features an all-red "bordello room" and beds for patrons to lounge.

Lists circulating around Washington's K Street lobbying corridor trumpet 200 to 300 official and unofficial events from Saturday to Thursday, and similar rosters are already being created for the Republican convention in New York next month.

Depending on how much they have given, donors might get invitations to choice events or wads of passes to the convention. And many are giving parties in the hope of mixing with lawmakers, Congressional staff members and other decision makers, building relationships that may be good for business in Washington.

"These are kind of branding things," said John Jonas, head of public policy for the law firm Patton Boggs, which is giving a late-night party at Saint for hundreds of guests and dozens of lawmakers. "We like to think of ourselves as a big name in lobbying, and this is a Woodstock rock concert. It's a place you want to show up."

For example, roughly two dozen corporations and trade associations are sponsoring a retirement party for Senator John B. Breaux, a Louisiana Democrat who is stepping down this year, at the New England Aquarium on Tuesday. The event is expected to draw some 1,000 people, including up to 40 lawmakers. Sponsors spent $10,000 to $30,000 each to create a Caribbean theme, where guests will sip rum drinks and listen to Ziggy Marley perform as eels, turtles and sharks drift in a tank nearby.

Also on Tuesday, the MBNA Corporation, Merrill Lynch, the Bank of America Corporation and other companies will treat Democrats on the House Committee on Financial Services and the Senate banking committee to a brunch at the Bay Tower, a restaurant high above the city.

Another party for hundreds of lobbyists, lawmakers and convention V.I.P.'s will take place at the Museum of Fine Arts on Wednesday, sponsored by the Bellsouth Corporation, Motorola, Fannie Mae, the FedEx Corporation, the Altria Group and more than a dozen other companies that paid about $25,000 each. But the exhibits of ancient Greek artifacts and Chinese costumes will not be the primary draw. Instead, the Democratic whips in the Senate and House, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada and Representative Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, will be the main attraction.

"It's an opportunity to do something nice for two big leaders in the Democratic Party who are very influential on many, many decisions that are made," said Anthony Podesta, a Democratic lobbyist who has three clients that are sponsoring the event. "There's no question that is on the mind of everybody who decided to sponsor this."

Lobbyists have been working for weeks to help clients set up their events, as well as begging and bartering to obtain party invitations, convention passes and other perks. At Mr. Podesta's firm, Podesta Mattoon, preparations began four months ago. A half dozen of the firm's Democrats have been working to pilot clients through the convention. Republicans in his firm are making similar preparations for New York.

For clients who are sponsoring events, the firm often helps with details like menus, wines, invitations and seating charts.

"It's not lobbying, it's party planning," he joked. "We could do weddings and bar mitzvahs in our office."

One client is the Genzyme Corporation, a Boston biotechnology firm that gave at least $250,000 to the convention's host committee. The sponsorship comes with six passes a day to the convention - including the hospitality suites - and access to delegate parties and other official bashes throughout the week.

The company is also holding several of its own. Genzyme teamed with the CVS Corporation and the National Association of Chain Drug Stores to give a party on Monday at its new headquarters in Cambridge for the New England delegation and a bevy of state and federal lawmakers. With help from Podesta Mattoon, the company is also sponsoring several smaller events.

"You try to help your clients navigate the opportunities and avoid the pitfalls," Mr. Podesta said. Many lobbying firms are also playing host.

The Philadelphia law firm of Blank Rome is sponsoring events in Boston and New York, as well as providing clients and every Democratic member of Congress with editions of the Zagat restaurant guide for Boston with the firm's name on the cover.

"It's important for us to work both conventions because all of the people you want to see are in one place at one time in one week," said David Girard-diCarlo, chairman of the firm and a major Republican fund-raiser. "You can accomplish more in one afternoon or one evening or at a breakfast or at a lunch than you otherwise could."

Just as lobbyists try to maximize the convention, so do the lawmakers they court. Representative Bill Delahunt, Democrat of Massachusetts, is raising money at a golf game and clam bake that costs $2,000 per person ($1,000 for guests who come only for the clams). Senator Christopher Dodd is giving a reception to thank donors to his new political action committee. For those who raised money for Senator John Kerry and the Democrats, the convention has another purpose: payback. Hundreds of fund-raisers helped Mr. Kerry collect more than $200 million. Now, many are expecting red-carpet treatment. The Democratic National Committee has a full lineup of events just for them, in addition to convention passes and hospitality suites.

Among them are a welcome party with Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the D.N.C. , on Monday; a briefing by former President Bill Clinton and an afternoon of billiards and cocktails with the actor Ben Affleck on Tuesday; and a late-night reception with Mr. Kerry himself at the Museum of Science on Thursday, which includes a performance by the singer Jon Bon Jovi.

Some fund-raisers will also be invited to a clam bake on Sunday at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis.

Top members of Mr. Kerry's finance team are also holding their own events. Robert B. Crowe and John P. Manning, two longtime friends of Mr. Kerry's, have an event on Wednesday at the restaurant Mistral for those who raised at least $200,000. Mr. Kerry's wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is expected to attend. Louis Susman, Mr. Kerry's national finance chairman, is giving a lunch on Thursday at Aujourd'hui , one of Boston's fanciest restaurants.

Of course, not all who raised money are entitled to such treatment. But that has not stopped them from trying. Mr. Crowe said his phone has not stopped ringing with people asking for favors..

"Hundreds of people are coming to town," he said. "I hope they are all happy with their hotels and the parties they were invited to. If not, I might just turn my cell phone off."
###

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 12:00 PM       
Now we see the reason for the tax cuts...to bad the democrats are making use of it too :/
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:23 PM       
What I think is really cute about this, especially as a greater Boston resident, is that all of these companies slashed jobs in the last year.

I think it must be a great comfort to those who lost work that deligates can go to Hospitality suites and places called the "Bordello room". I know my most major concern is deligates level of comfort. Right after that I worry about paying my bills and keeping my families health insurance, but seriously, deigate comfort is priority numero uno for me.