Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:46 PM        Religion
1. None of you(all inclusive of humanity and all other inhabitants in our apparent plane of existence.) have any idea what entails an existence beyond our understanding. The fallicy in assuming that you have any knowledge concerning such a thing should be painfully apparent to anyone but a retard or someone blindly hopeful in the "supernatural"

2. If something exists within the bounds of our ability to understand it then it can either be proven or disproven.

THEREFORE: If god exists beyond out understanding then your pulling complete and utter shit out of your purely human ass (And in a VERY arrogant and ignorant way). If god exists in such a way that we can understand it then there remains to be seen any such evidence for an entity of any description of god I've ever heard.

The Bible, as well as every other piece of religious literature, is a book, written by humans with absolutely no actual scientific founding to suggest why anyone should believe in this "god" entity. If you plan on relating this statement to historical records then by all means do, but know that you're lying to yourself in thinking its a valid argument. Just as with any religious record one should excersise at least some level of sceptisism.

If I read that Voltaire was actually the spawn of Magularato, creator of time, and was sent to give us the ability to empty our bowels I would treat it just as I treat the Bible.

I know there is no way that people haven't thought about this before, so is there something I'm missing? I wasn't raised with any particular religion so I guess it may be that there is no foundation hardwired into my brain to believe in something with no actual founding. How can people completely disregard logic and just say, "Meh, I don't care. I still think theres a "god" ".

I can't do that. I can't deny logic. :/

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM       
And why do people smoke?

The human mind has a fantastic ability to throw logic out the window when it wants to.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM       
People smoke because they like getting high. They also know that its killing them.

People believe in god as a supernatural comfort thought. the difference is that they honestly seem to believe its true.

It'd be like someone saying that ciggarettes were healthy and really thinking it. I can say it, but I can't actually think it.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM       
"If you plan on relating this statement to historical records then by all means do, but know that you're lying to yourself in thinking its a valid argument. Just as with any religious record one should excersise at least some level of sceptisism."

So is seeing ancient Egyptian tablets dated to Ramses II that mention Moses just a case of me lying to myself? You seem to be predetermined in what you believe. "I can't deny logic." Yet, you do deny it by predetermining what you find before you find it.

If you do not believe in it, then that is fine. You are completely entitled to that, as are people to believe in anything. However, telling other poeple that they are stupid to do so (perhaps in not so many words) is no better than people telling you that you are going to Hell for not believing in it.

I find it amusing that many of you athiests seem to think that you know enough about God to engage in a discussion about Him. If you do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God handed down to man through inspiration to those that wrote them, and have faith in it, then you have no business discussing the angle that you are taking on it since you negate that by your very non-belief.

Find your own voice and let others be.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:29 PM       
Translation: "Don't make fun of my God!"

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp

Translation: "I am a stupid monkey with nothing relevant or even remotely interesting to add to this discussion, yet, I open my mouth anyway in a vain attempt to make myself look intelligent."
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Signal
Quote:

Translation: "I am a stupid monkey with nothing relevant or even remotely interesting to add to this discussion, yet, I open my mouth anyway in a vain attempt to make myself look intelligent."
Translation: "ALLAH ACKBAR!! ALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!"

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:36 PM       
Well Capn. Bubba, I think that if it is beyond our comprehension, then we cannot really disprove it either, and thus being an atheist is no more logical than being a believer.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:11 PM       
Meh, I don't care. I still think theres a "god".

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:29 PM       
If there is a god I would be inclined to believe that he doesnt really care whether we believe he exists or not, or that he has any interest in us or the things we do.

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM       
Quote:
How can people completely disregard logic and just say, "Meh, I don't care. I still think theres a "god" ".
What logic?
xXxASPERGERSxXx
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:11 AM       
Zero: You completely missed the point of the historical document comment. I was refering to when people say that I'm simply picking and choosing what I belive from documents based on personal prejudice. To some extent this is true, I'll give, but it should be with everyone.

Moses was a real person? OMG so shocking! I GUESS THIS MEANS THERES A GOD!

You completely disregard my entire argument in your post. The wholepointof my argument is that I know nothing of god or sngaiu, or whatever the hell anything "beyond out understanding" is, or what it entails. Not only did I never say I believed I understood god, but I expressly state that NOONE DOES, which to a normal person could be interpreted to include myself.

I never took an angle on any particualr religion, so wtf is this about the Bible? I never even mention any specifics of religion because its irrelevant in my argument and would have no place.

Jeanette: Being an aethiest does not mean you negate the possibility of a god in your mind. It simply means you are without a religion. As it will never be possible to find out if a god "beyond our understanding" exists, there is no logical reason (besides comfort) for me, or anyone else, to believe in it.

Proto: O NO U DI-ENT!

UtterParadox is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:12 AM       
I remembered, recently, a very interesting conversation between myself (an agnostic), a man with red hair whose name I cannot remember (a devoted Christian), and a man with black hair whose name I also cannot remember (beliefs unknown). We were discussing the theory of evolution, which the red-haired man did not believe. When the black-haired man asked how humanity formed without the benefit of evolution, the red-haired man said two words: "He spoke."

Just like that: "He spoke." To nonbelievers like myself, it's a ridiculous statement. To believers, it's the last word.

The very idea of a god - an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being beyond our reality - makes the existence or nonexistence of it a moot point as far as argument goes. If you found scrolls hidden in Israel that predated the planet and turned out to be God's personal diary, nonbelievers would argue that they are obvious forgeries, while believers would trumpet the "final proof".

It's like arguing about the existence of "fate". If fate does exist, then you don't have a choice as to whether or not to believe in it. So arguing becomes a bit pointless.

"I wonder how strong human bones are after they shrink..."
The Goddamned Batman
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:24 PM       
*sigh*

Did you learn NOTHING from Terminator 2?

There is no fate but what we make!
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by O71394658
Quote:
How can people completely disregard logic and just say, "Meh, I don't care. I still think theres a "god" ".
What logic?
Faith in religion doesn't require any logic. That's why it's called "faith". Please don't misinterpret me to mean that religion is stupid or anything. That's just the way it is.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:46 PM       
I just love how the atheists and agnostics of the board seem to enjoy discussing religion with a weary, but patient attitude since they have things "all figured out." at least, that is the way it seems to me.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:47 PM       
OKAY.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:20 PM       
Captain Bubba: Read the Bible. Front to back, back to front, upside down. Repeat thrice (TRYING BEST TO UNDERSTAND THE MEANINGS.) Then, carefully cut it into quarters, sprinkle with salt and devour each and every piece.

Repeat process with an English Dictionary.

Finally, return and attempt to argue your opinion again.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:47 PM       
I read the bible once. To be honest, it wasn't very helpful.
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM       
Faith is intellectual bankruptcy, which somehow results in people feeling that they have an abundance of morality.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:02 PM       
Quote:
Faith is intellectual bankruptcy, which somehow results in people feeling that they have an abundance of morality.
So putting faith in my brakes that they will not fail at a particular moment is intellectual bankruptcy? If anything, your post is nothing but that, and somehow resulted in you feeling like you actually said something meaningful and intelligent.
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM       
Don't be a little shit. Faith has many definitions, so which one do you think I'm talking about in a thread entitled "Religion"?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM       
I don't have faith in my brakes, I get them checked periodically to make sure they work. Do you get your God checked periodically to make sure he exists?

OperationScuzBucket is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM       
"Faith: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." ~Ambrose Bierce

"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance. Logic can be happily tossed out the window." ~Stephen King

...two of my favorite quotes that seem to relate. I have trouble putting my thoughts into words, so it's better for me to find other people's thoughts that reflect mine. :P
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM