Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:08 AM        Closing Frozen Processes
SHORT QUESTION:

I got some processes that just won't close. Is there a better way to close them than from the task manager? Also, I have a problem with an MSPaint file that is in a state of being semi-frozen, I am really hoping that it doesn't go down in flames, because I spent hours on it. It has an hourglass going, and it's one click away from being all "(NOT RESPONDING)." Could these frozen processes be the cause of my troubles?

LONG, LONG QUESTION WITH ALL THE BACKSTORY:

So, I got this problem. I basically poured my heart out making this wonderful MS paint drawing for a parody movie poster for a fake Zucker Brothers movie called "WORLD TRADE CENTER!" I go click FILE to save it, and the, uh, the bar that says FILE and EDIT and VIEW etc? That went white, which is like "oh boy its crash time" and the hourglass appeared anytime you scrolled over my beautiful paintbrush work, which means I'm one click away from getting an error message and having it all eat shit.

So I've left it alone for hours and hours, because sometimes if you leave this stuff on overnight you'll wake up and find it all corrected itself you know? So I get some guts and decide to actually try and tool around on the computer. I have some notepad documents and stuff open, and I close them all, except for one which I try to save. The same thing happens with the MSpaint file, except this time it's not a big deal so I try to just close it the fuck up. So I go through the "windows has encountered and error it will need to close blah blah" and I chose to close it, got the "Send error report" thing, you know? So I go through all that, but the file that errored stays. I open the task manager, and you know the applications tab that just shows the stuff open on the task bar? The notepad document is actually listed TWICE, and so is the aforementioned problematic MSPaint file.

So I decided to delete some processes, cutting loose the usual expendable ones. Don't know how it'll help, but figure it couldn't hurt. But then I notice some stuff I had closed long ago, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, each listed twice. They aren't open at all, but the processes are still listed. I try to close them, it gives me the usual warning "do you really wanna do this, LUKE?" and I say yeah, but the process doesn't disappear, it stays on the list. same when I try to close notepad.exe.

So uh, how can I close this shit? Should I even have any reason to beleive that it's causing my MSPaint problems?

IF YOU AREN'T DOING IT FOR ME... DO IT FOR HER ;_;
Mocker
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:32 AM       
Also, when I try open say firefox, it won't open, but the process will show up and not go away. I'm guessing that'd be true for ANY program or process I try to start.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM       
It sounds like Explorer (the Windows shell) has crashed, probably caused by something like those DVD programs you mentioned crashing earlier. Programs can sometimes get stuck in an endless loop if something goes wrong during an important step, then Windows just switches between programs in endless loops and nothing happens.

You probably won't be able to salvage this

I recommend saving your work regularly. Don't work on something for hours and then save it. Save every 5 minutes and shit like that.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM       
In this situation wouldn't you have been able to just Print Scrn, reopen Paint, paste and save?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:07 AM       
I also found the following tips to work really well with killing programs, since Windows XP usually pussyfoots all around it like OK YOU REALLY HAVE TO CLOSE NOW GUYS GUYS I MEAN IT GUYS STOP IT CLOSE CMON GUYS THIS ISN'T FUNNY CLOSE OK LOOK YOU HAVE TWO SECONDS ONE TWO CMON GOD DAMNIT GUYS

So here's what you can do!

go to start->run and type in regedit
expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
expand Control Panel
Expand Desktop

Set 'AutoEndTasks' to 1
Lower 'HungAppTimeout' to 1000 (this is in milliseconds, I think the default is 5000)
Lower MenuShowDelay to 100
Lower WaitToKillAppTimeout to 2000

and then windows won't fuck around with killing processes, especially if you close them as processes and not as programs. This will also cause windows to hit the fuckin' flo' when you restart as opposed to taking 20 days to do that. So just make sure your shit is saved before you reboot instead of being an idiot.

YEAH.
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:35 AM       
If you can't click the exit button, or Alt-F4 doesn't work, try using CTRL-ALT-DEL. It gets me out of alot of trouble
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim
In this situation wouldn't you have been able to just Print Scrn, reopen Paint, paste and save?
but it was bigger than one screen ;_;
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by juttin
If you can't click the exit button, or Alt-F4 doesn't work, try using CTRL-ALT-DEL. It gets me out of alot of trouble
He said he can't close the blasted process. Normally, that means you can't close it from the PROCESSES section of the task manager.
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM       
Usually it closes the process WITHOUT " Not Responding".

At least, it does for me.
Mocker
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:51 AM       
I think it's obvious now that its fucking toast.

Print Screen didn't work, because any time i tried to save a new paintbrush file it would freeze up and do the same thing.

I even tried to shut down my computer, hoping that it would ask if i wanted to save the file before shutting down, but I coudlnt even shut my computer down properly.

Also shit got fucked up even more so i didnt even have a chance to read chojin's post ;_;

Quote:
I recommend saving your work regularly.
Thanks dad

Me and Mark did an episode of WFYB last 9/11 that also had the same irreverant attitude as my drawing and IT fucked up and didn't save EITHER, so I think 9/11 is just getting revenge on me for making fun
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM       
Seriously. If you work for hours on something and you still haven't saved it, you deserve to have your computer destroy it.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM       
AChimp there's a certain thing called being in THE ZONE, you would know that if you were an MSPaint Artist.

Mocker
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM       
its back and better than ever you fucking jerks

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM       
Frozen processes? Perhaps your computer is underheating.