Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inside your Head

RPGmaker is probably a spambot
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM       
Still waiting on Mother 3 too. Don't think that will ever be realeased.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM       
All the games have their merits, but 4, 6, and the original Tactics are the ones I keep going back to. Plus I suffer through this game, not play it, just like in the old one! SUFFER!

9 cracks me up because it's basically one big throwback and all the people who hate it NEVER have a good reason to justify the hate.

j/k fuck them
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM       
FF9 was so busy trying to be old school that it forgot to make anything else about it interesting at all, and in a lot of places it's less of a throwback and more of a copypaste job. This is most apparent in the idiotic stock characters taken almost entirely from 6 and 7, the absolute worst cases being Quina and Amarant, also known as Cait Sith and Vincent Valentine. I remember timrpgland referring to 9 as the "wannabe Final Fantasy," and I'd have to say that synopsis is pretty spot-on.

It also felt like Half Life: Final Fantasy edition, in that I was constantly being funneled towards my goal whether I liked it or not, sometimes without the reason for my epic treks being fully explained and me just going along with it because it's the only way to go. That's another thing, there weren't any sidequests to take on, wheras in 7 I literally lost myself in doing shit like getting all the final limit breaks and ultimate weapons, Chocobo breeding, general dungeon crawling, that sort of thing.

I admit that I really liked the idea of the plot and the game in general before playing it; 9 could have been great, one of the best Final Fantasies, and I have no idea how the developers fucked it up so badly. The soundtrack also had some pretty good stuff on it, and most or all of the pre rendered backgrounds were works of art.

And that's what I have to say about that.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM       
I remember...about a year ago I said to myself:

Ox, you should finish FF7. I never did the final buttonpress to destroy Seph when I first played it in...1997? because I liked him too much ^^

So I grab my old FF7, play through it, save the world...more or less. And then I think...dude...play through FF8, you never did that either. So I did and I liked it. Then I thought, well, why not finish FF9 while you´re at it...after 15 hours or so I couldn´t stand it no more...

I don´t really know why, maybe it´s the story or the battle system or maybe it´s because it runs 20% slower over here (PAL sucked back then...and it still does) but I never felt the need to finish it...then I accidently spoilerd myself while I read something about it and well...

Maybe I should try FF12...yeah right.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxBlood View Post
Maybe I should try FF12...yeah right.
Psh. FFXII is wonderful. Gameplay improved most of what made other FFs tedious, and the story was a breath of fresh air compared to the melodramatic shit that was FF7,8, and 10, but seeing how most FF fans prefer said melodrama, with their whiney girlyman protagonists, stupid love stories, high random encounter rates and slow-as-fuck ATB bars, it alienated most of Square's fanbase.

Variety? In my franchise?!

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM       
FF12 was more like a SIM game. XII just felt so bland. The only Char I like was Balthier. I used girlboy, ladyface and swordguy. Beyond that I tried to wipe 80 hrs of my life out of my head.
has a woody
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM       
Rather that than Menus: The Game VII.

I'm glad FFXIII seems to employ what seems to be a souped version of XII's system.

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM       
[quote=Phoenix Gamma;572007]Rather that than Menus: The Game VII.

quote]

Nice.

I'm just hoping XIII has a story and charactors worth caring about.

Also, has anyone gotten the remake for FF4 as of now?
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:41 AM       
Yeah, I got it yesterday and it´s pretty good so far, the story is presented very nicely, it´s a bit harder than the old version (I only played the US-Version, we never got it here in Europe if I´m not mistaken). Right now I´m grinding for money and some starter levels before attempting Dungeon Number two. Already got Tellah though, he´s a real help.
has a woody
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM       
The game's based on the original Japanese difficulty; us stupid Americans/Europeans got an easier mode. Square also changed the boss strategies around to fuck with returning players.

LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM       
Really? Im finding it easier than I remember it. A lot of the bosses, namely the archfiends, fold before I even feel like the fight has begun. Maybe its just me but I rememebr the evil wall being a bitch to kill before he crushed you or whatever he did. This time he didnt even drop one of my guys before we detroyed him.
SKATASTIC
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM       
I never got past Shiva(?) when she spams cure 4. I wasn't high enough level to get reflect but I didn't find out for a year afterwords.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
I never got past Shiva(?) when she spams cure 4. I wasn't high enough level to get reflect but I didn't find out for a year afterwords.
I think the heal spammer was Ashura.

I got this a couple days ago. I like most of the changes so far. (I for one thought having all the characters playable at the end was pointless because outside of Yang none of them are better than the 5 you get at the end) The cut scenes are pretty interesting and they seem to have fixed a lot of the translation issues. However it really cheesed me off that they took away the enemies in the patch of grass north of Mt. Ordeals that were advanced for the area. You could hang there for a bit and get Cecil, Palom, and Porom to 60th and just coast through the game from there. Apparently they finally got wise to that particular bug.
SKATASTIC
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM       
I might get a DS soon.
What Video Games?
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM       
Nintendo power

These old artworks are laughably horrendous.

j/k fuck them
Durin is probably a spambot
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 01:26 AM       
Aye, they did change the bosses around. Bahamut nearly had his way with me, and so did Dr. Lugae, till I figured the really really cheap n easy way o beatin him (afterwhich i hit myself for thinkin of it sooner). Some they just made harder though, like Rubicante. Also, apparently the people who made this don't know how to pronounce some of the characters names. Such as Cecil. Somehow I predict that were gonna see 5, and especially 6, gettin this 3d treatment. Than, maybe, a 7 remake. Oh, and to the one who really liked 12. Mechanics wise (the plot/characters were bad, especially the characters, tho i also dislike the plots of 7 8 and 10 mind you) was the fact that you could make the game play itself for you except for movin around with the gambit system. I'll take menus over autoplay anyday.
has a woody
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 01:42 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin413 View Post
the fact that you could make the game play itself for you except for movin around with the gambit system. I'll take menus over autoplay anyday.
Or you can not play on autopilot and micromanage in real time.

Fancy that.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM       
Is 12 the one with the guy who lies all the time?

That one's all right.
What Video Games?
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM       
I had the Nintendo Power issue where they interviewed one of the guys involved with this re-make and the first thing they asked was if they'd do more.

They dicked WAY around that one.

j/k fuck them