Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM        UN Investigates Alleged Civilian Massacre in Congo
Maybe if these poor folks had some oil we'd have an interest in "liberating" them, too.

Maybe these "savages" are undeserving though, much like the Rwandans a few years ago, right Ronnie???

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

washingtonpost.com
UN Investigates Alleged Civilian Massacre in Congo

By Mark Dummett

KINSHASA (Reuters) - U.N. investigators went on Monday to a remote Congo town where local people say nearly 1,000 civilians were massacred in what may be the worst atrocity in the country's 4 1/2-year war.

Women and children joined in the bloody dawn raid on Drodro last Thursday, killing 966 people within three hours with guns and machetes, U.N. officials quoted eyewitnesses saying.

"Nearly 1,000 dead -- I cannot remember a time when so many were killed in such a short space of time," said Hamadoun Toure, spokesman for the U.N. force in Congo (MONUC). Millions have died in Congo's war, mainly through hunger and disease.

U.N. officials who visited Drodro on Saturday reported seeing scraps of clothing and traces of blood above some of 20 mass graves they found. They returned on Monday with medical supplies for some of the 49 wounded survivors.

"We want to find out what happened, why it happened, who did that," Toure said.

Drodro's population is mainly from the Hema tribe, which has been pitted against the rival Lendu in an ethnic conflict that has blown up in recent months as the factions from the wider war in the Democratic Republic of Congo have become involved.

An officer from the Rwandan-backed Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC), a Hema militia, vowed reprisal attacks against Lendu, but there was no word of new violence on Monday.

Ugandan forces in nearby Bunia said 700 to 800 extra troops had arrived from Uganda at the weekend to stop more killing in Drodro, and had taken control of a nearby airstrip.

Bunia is 50 miles from Uganda, one of half a dozen countries drawn into the complex war in mineral-rich Congo.

Uganda has traditionally been close to the Hema but its troops have clashed with the UPC, led by Thomas Lubanga and backed by Uganda's rival in the region, Rwanda.

The U.N. force in Congo (MONUC) has established a committee to negotiate an end to the killings in the Ituri province, but a March local cease-fire agreement has failed to halt violence even as tribal and community leaders meet in Bunia to talk peace.

After Ugandan troops expelled UPC forces from Bunia last month, Rwanda threatened to send its army back into Congo, kindling fears of open warfare between the two former allies.

SCENE OF ATROCITIES

Ituri province has seen some of the war's worst atrocities.

Thousands of people were reported killed near Bunia in a fortnight-long Lendu onslaught against Hema and other tribes last September which began with a bloody attack on a hospital.

Much of Ituri is controlled by troops from Uganda, the last foreign state to have soldiers openly in Congo, although it has pledged to withdraw by April 24.

Captain Felix Kulayigye, Ugandan army spokesman in Bunia, said Ugandan forces estimated the death toll in Drodro and the surrounding settlements was between 350 and 400.

But UPC officials accused Uganda of siding with the Lendu and using Lendu militiamen to contain the Hema.

"UPC believes the massacres were carried out by militia from the Lendu tribe, backed by the Uganda soldiers," said a senior UPC official, speaking by telephone from the eastern Congolese town of Goma, headquarters of the main Rwandan-backed rebellion.

"Our men in Bunia say it is looking all very tense this morning and you understand a people that have just lost a thousand men would be regrouping and planning what to do next. A massacre never vanishes quietly, it is a cycle," he said.

Thursday's killings came hours after the Congo's government and rebel leaders signed a deal on a transition government in the capital Kinshasa, 1,500 miles to the west.

At a special ceremony in Kinshasa on Monday, President Joseph Kabila was sworn in as head of the new government, pledging to defend a power-sharing constitution. But there was no sign of the rebel leaders due to govern with him.

© 2003 Reuters

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:27 PM       
Damn. Too bad they're not a 'security interest'.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:14 PM       
Hey, we tried to intervene in Africa, and it went disasterously wrong! Remember Black Hawk Down? America can not be asked to sustain losses like that when the people in question are Darkies and have no oil. Stop being so cynical!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:40 PM       
Max, did you actually read the book and get some background? If you did, you would see why we

a) don't trust the UN with our troops

b) reluctantly go into a civil war, just like Bosnia

That said, we should aid the people there. Set up refuge camps, no fly zones etc. but, we can't run in and choose sides. That is one way Viet Nam went to shit for us.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:54 PM       
I am, of course, being flippant.

I'm mostly referring to the fickle nature of American Public opinion, which needs a good deal of raa-raa football pep rally style preperation to endure even a single brutal and ugly death of one of our own while casually tolerating the suffering of the vast majority of the rest of the planet.

In my opinion, the darker the sufferers, and the fewer their natural resources, the less likely the pep rally preperation.

As anyone who reads my posts knows, I'm not if favor of picking sides and armed intervention without a good deal of care and certainty. I'm just appaulled that anyone buys into the "Moral Clarity" of the war we are involved in when we turn a blind eye to brutallity all over the world when there's little at stake except morals.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:57 AM        Yeah
I'm with you Max. Its not just the government. It's the people as a whole.

But you can't have it both ways. If the U.S. is wrong in Iraq, that it would be wrong in Africa too. Not saying I see your point Kev, because I understand the argument.

Also, it's not just us. It's the entire world. Are we guilty of picking and choosing who we "liberate"? Damn sure we are. But saving the Congo is a tough sell to the people. However difficult Iraq has been, imagine trying to convince selfish Americans that we ought to send our kids to Africa to stop the killing. They just wouldnt buy it. The rest of the world doesn't care either.

You won't hear it debated in the U.N. which is even more guilty if you ask me. The U.S. ought to be concerned with protecting it's own interests whether it be strategic, economic, or otherwise. It's the role of the U.N. to squash things like genocide through multi national pressure and diplomacy.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM       
You may get your wish Kevin. The UN might be stepping in militarily, as peace talks have already begun:
The UN force in the DRC - Monuc - has established a committee to negotiate an end to the killing

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click...73379&set_id=1

UN probes 'orgy of ethnic violence' in DRC
April 08 2003 at 05:43AM

Kampala - The United Nations is checking allegations that almost 1Â*000 civilians were massacred in the "lawless" eastern Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) last week in what some residents called a "three-hour orgy of ethnic violence".
Rebel militia leaders vowed reprisal attacks, but there was no word of new violence.
Troops from neighbouring Uganda secured positions in the DRC on Monday where the UN is investigating reports of the massacre. Uganda said 700 to 800 of its troops had taken up positions at the weekend to prevent more killing there.
The region has experienced rising bloodshed in recent months as a local ethnic conflict between the Hema and Lendu tribal militia has dragged in factions from the wider war.
Investigators heard 966 people had been massacred

The UN force in the DRC - Monuc - has established a committee to negotiate an end to the killings. Monuc said on Sunday that its investigators had heard 966 people had been massacred in Drodro, and had identified 20 mass graves.
Monuc spokesperson Hama-doun Toure said investigators had heard from local priests, tribal leaders and witnesses how the killing lasted for three hours around Drodro, a Hema town.
Uganda has traditionally been closer to the Hema tribe than the Lendu, but the latest conflict has seen Ugandan troops fight head to head against a Hema militia known as the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC), led by Thomas Lubanga and backed by Uganda's rival in the region, Rwanda.
After Ugandan troops expelled UPC forces from the town of Bunia last month Rwanda threatened to send its army back into Congo, kindling fears of open warfare between the two former allies.
Kulayigye said Ugandan forces estimated that the death toll in Drodro and the surrounding settlements was between 350 and 400.
But UPC officials accused Uganda of siding with the Lendu and using Lendu militia to contain the Hema.

This article was originally published on page 2 of The Cape Times on 08 April 2003