Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM        Politics in our schools
I've noticed the trend in California schools is for the kids to follow extreme liberal viewpoints. It also seems that these teens don't even think about the viewpoint they are following.

When I was in highschool teachers always said that we would be the next people running the country and that it was important that we were taught correctly.

But this is a load because the teachers really were just attempting to impose their beliefs on the students. The teachers may not be paid much, but they do still hold a position of considerable power. Students will tend to adopt the beliefs of their teachers because speaking up against a teacher can affect grades, even though idealy it would not. Also, teachers have the whole school year to reinforce their beliefs.

Also, it is bullshit to think that highschool students will be the next people running the country. We may vote for our leaders, but we have no real idea how they are going to run the country until they are into their term.

Frankly, politics have no place in the class room. Highschool/middleschool teachers are not the appropriate people to bestow political ideals to students. From my own experiences in high school, discussions about politics would have been fine except that they always tended to become one-sided and anti-conservative. (I went to highschool in Los Angeles)

I bring this up now because I have a feeling that many of the young students who joined in the rally for looser immigration laws were indoctrinated by their teachers. I would guess that they gave an idea that keeping tight immigration laws would be racism against Mexicans.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM       
So then who should talk to kids about politics? Your parents?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM       
Certainly not the teachers. It is better for them to be apathetic then to be indoctrinated. If they have any interest in politics, they will talk amongst themselves.

I'm sick of left wing liberals over in southern California,the land of fruits and nuts, rallying about all sorts of garbage. I'm rather bitter because of my own indoctrination into liberal fanaticism when I was in HS.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM       
Oh come off it. Political indoctrination of children happens every day. It comes from the left, it comes from the right. It comes from their schools, their churches, and even the goddamned cartoons they watch.

If you really care, you'll do the only honest and good thing, which is to help me pass legislation have all politicians castrated.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM       
That's an interesting picture you paint there.

How do you figure you escaped this liberal brainwashing plot? Are you just that much smarter and strong willed then your peers? Are they such sheep that they need to be protected from things you obviously did not? Where did you come up with your very own uninfluenced individual ideas? Oh, and by the way, congratulations. We thought we had California pretty much nailed down in our liberal indoctrination plot after our much ballyhooed election of the popular liberal Arnold Moviestarsenegger to the office of Governor.

Oh, wait! I got confused! The Liberal brainwahing plot was Vermont! Calfiornia was the fucking moron brainwashing plot.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
If you really care, you'll do the only honest and good thing, which is to help me pass legislation have all politicians castrated.
I'd quit my day job to castrate every one oif them myself. It's for the best for all of us and for the future.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM       
move to bakersfield, ca. Problem solved.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Oh come off it. Political indoctrination of children happens every day. It comes from the left, it comes from the right. It comes from their schools, their churches, and even the goddamned cartoons they watch.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
move to bakersfield, ca. Problem solved.
Isn't Orange County pretty right wing, too?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:26 PM       
The level of indoctrination in schools relative to other institutions is relatively high.

In my opinion, values should not be instilled in anyone in any case.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:33 PM       
Yeah, here's the thing, though. Your opinion? Has overdeveloped thighs.

INDOCTRINATE THAT, BLOWHARD!
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
In my opinion, values should not be instilled in anyone in any case.
Yeah I mean we shouldn't take the chance that a bias will develop and just not teach anyone anything. Let them figure it out on their own.

Survival of Fittest is the best doctrine ever, am I right guys?
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:29 PM       
People think I'm weird when I say I'm on the side of justice
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM       
I'm sure somewhere in the united states, and all over the rest of the world, you could find children who have been influenced by the ideas of the parents/adults surrounding them and are motivated by them/motivate them towards others and don't understand it(not all of them will be liberal, by the way). In fact, in general, I'd say kids don't really understand things anyway, but that is kind of implied by the fact that they are children.

Children are always influenced by adults, one way or another, and people always influence other people. There's very few solutions. One of them is to do what I suggest and actually teach children how to think properly, so their first response to an opinion is to think, "Hey that's an opinion not the truth! Now let's analyze it ;(".
There's alot of structural problems with the social atmosphere between children and adults, one of them is that children are taught that adults are ALWAYS to be respected, as if there's not any adults who don't deserve that. Anyway, telling children to always respect adults takes away their ability to think for themselves and inforces their likelyhood to rely on another person. It's not quite so literal nor is it guaranteed, but it has a real effect on their behaviorisms.
We need to pick apart what it is we are teaching, keeping in mind what it will actually teach. Teachings have unintended consequences and directly effects the psychology of developing children. As such, we need a system of education that takes these things in mind, that provides a reliable foundation to build upon, and anaylzes everything it teaches to be taught at the right time, the right place and to the right people. In this way you can alleviate many social and psychological problems that only hold back the flourishing of society.

In short I'd like to say that it is a child's job to absorb everything around them. That is how they acclimate to society, how they learn to talk and think and how they develop from tiny little creatures into adults. Obviously it's important to consider what is around them, but it's more important to give them the tools to recognize their surroundings.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM       
You raise a good point, Kahljorn.
There were many influential factors on my life from adults as I grew up. I guess now that I have been living on my own for a few years I have started to think about some of the things I had impressed on me.

I really am glad that my parents made sure I worked hard in school, because otherwise I would probably be nowhere right now. On the other hand though, I really do resent the fact that liberal ideals were practically forced on me during my high school education.
Mocker
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM       
Could you cite some examples? Just so I know you aren't talking about "evolution" or the "round earth theory" or any of that really crazy shit.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM       
liberal ideas were forced on you?? Please elaborate.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM       
He was told at gunpoint that Black people are allowed to commit crimes
and didn't have to use correct grammar because they had suffered and that as a white man, he must always begin every sentence with the words "I'm sorry."
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM       
Well one of the most obvious biases is when students are taugh about where the world came from School's jump right into Darwinism and Evolution and pretty much sweep aside any from of creationism. Yeah I know that Creationism isn't scientifically founded and there are different explanations for different religions, but when I was taught it, the consesus was that Evolution is the only thing that makes sense and it's a flawless theory.

It wasn't till I got into college that I ever read any logical criticism of Darwinism and Evolution.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM       
See, now, I think we could be confusing 'Liberal Indoctrination' with bad teaching.

I work with a LOT of science educators, and any science teacher that doesn't begin by making sure the kids understand that science is about concrete observation and expriment, and that this process produces ideas that you test, and that scienticic 'truths' change and devleop

IS A BAD SCIENCE TEACHER! They have not taught you what Science is.

If they teach you in American History that Westward expansion in America was a purely wonderful thing (as I was certainly taught) this is not conservative bias, this is BAD HISTORY TEACHING, because History is never purely wonderful.

There are a lot more bad teachers out there than good ones. Teaching is hard. That's problem. But I think people who look back at their mediocre education, which almost all of us had, and work to align it with the particular chip they have on their shoulder, (it's all the liberals fault, it's all the conservatives fault) are mostly looking for boogeymen to blame.
Mocker
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM       
There's a reason it isn't called the Law of Evolution. By definition, a theory is not incontrovertible. If you were taught that it was "flawless theory" then your problem wasn't just liberal bias - it was ignorant teachers.

Even my assbackward junior high school (which was a private Christian school) taught the scientific method before jumping right into evolution. A side note there, we could opt-out for an alternate biology class that didn't teach evolution at all, but I think about 90% of the students toughed out the evolution heresey!

Seriously though, if you haven't learned what the definition of a theory is, you should not be learning about specific theories yet.
BANNED

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM       
I don't know I thought scru2wice was bullshitting ;(

I was also taught the scientific method and that evolution is a theory. I thought everybody knew that. It's the most plausible explanation, and creation can never be proved or disproved(really). Even if you prove evolution there's so many facets there for there to be still be an aspect of intelligent design. The system is pretty damned intelligent. It amazes me how much an animal can know explicitley from instinct. Instinct is the strangest thing to me.

Knowledge that comes from nowhere ;(
Mocker
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
Yeah I mean we shouldn't take the chance that a bias will develop and just not teach anyone anything. Let them figure it out on their own.

Survival of Fittest is the best doctrine ever, am I right guys?
Morality which is imposed is nothing more than a form of simultaneous repression and supression.

I am a libertine, not a libertarian.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM       
Would you agree that there's a certain degree of morality imposed simply by the way in which society works (I.E., it's wrong to kill a person because of the repurcussions from society)? Is that repression?
Mocker
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Would you agree that there's a certain degree of morality imposed simply by the way in which society works (I.E., it's wrong to kill a person because of the repurcussions from society)? Is that repression?
I am referring to the imposition of morality in the mind, i.e. making somone believe that it is wrong to kill another human being via church, school, family, etc. Negative social consequences may condition individuals to act certain ways, but that is not what I am talking about.

I tend to think that certain "morals" are actually inherent desires of individuals, whereas others (think "homosexuals are bad") are forced.

Morality is nothing but action preferences anyway.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM       
Is your voice really annoying? Because it's really hard to imagine any of the stuff you write being said without a really annoying voice saying it.