Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM        What is it about having politcal apathy that gets people all RILED UP?
People my age seem to be so goddamn passionate about their views. I'm at college so of course a lot of shit is unavoidable. The busiest pedestrian intersections are staked out by jerks with pamphlets telling me to vote for Ron Paul, or stop rampant animal cruelty, or find Jesus before it's too late.

Of course lately everyone's got an opinion about who he or she wants to be president. I consider myself a left-leaning moderate that doesn't care enough about politics to really take the time to learn about each candidate and make a decision. I don't care enough about issues to get all worked up and mad over a candidate who has polar opposite opinions. The most passionate I can possibly be about something, as an agnostic, is keeping religion out of politics. But again I can't seem to get past the "whatever happens happens" mindset I'm in about politics. I just can't seem to care too much.

So why do people seem to get mad when I answer "it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other" when they ask me questions like "who would you rather see in office, Mitt Romney or Barack Obama?" or "should gay marriage be legalized?" People get especially mad when I tell them I'm not interested in voting, and they give me responses like "You have no excuse to not go out and vote."

One time I told a girl that the first and only time I went out to vote (governor primaries, my parents dragged me out with them) I flipped a coin for every option. She practically exploded and told me that people like me should have their voting rights taken away if they are just going to vote like morons.

So I get yelled at for not voting, and then yelled at when I do vote for not doing it right.

What the hell people

Sorry if this post seems a bit lowbrow, but I don't want to reveal too much politcal ignorance and feel like a jerk

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM       
When people ask me about voting or to sign a petition, I tell them I have a felony and can't.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM       
activism has resulted in some changes for the better, it just takes a really long time, way longer than most college kids have patience for.

still, not taking on the onus of fixing everything fucked up in the world is a pretty minor vice as long as you are basically a decent person. anyone who disagrees with this is an idiot.

maybe you find it depressing, but educating yourself on the evil shit candidate x is associated with is at least fun insofar as it enables you to fuck with the heads of people who truely believe their chosen candidate is some kinda messiah.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM       
SHUT THE FUCK UP
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM       
It's been my experience that people who don't vote are usually the first ones to start bitching about stuff when the government changes rules that have an immediate impact on them.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM       
It's been my experience that people bitch no matter what.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM       
Well yeah I'm going to bitch because I didn't vote for it to happen now did I

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM       
For starters, quit dating annoying people.

Also, keep in mind who you're telling about your political apathy. If the person just asked you about politics out of nowhere, odds are they aren't going to like you saying that you don't care. It's like telling the guy in the Packers jersey and the foam cheesehead hat that you don't care about football.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM       
I never mentioned going out with anyone, but it's good advice anyway I guess

One time I was asked to do a survey. The first question he asked me was "Do you consider yourself liberal or conservative?" to which I replied "Neither. Moderate, I guess." The next question was "What do you think of President Bush?" to which I replied "Uh...well, I don't know. I don't really have an opinion." After that he promptly ended the survey with a "well thanks for your time" and walked away irritated.

I mean I guess I can understand how that can be a little annoying, but jesus christ I'm sorry for not feeling extreme emotions either way about the president, guys.

☆☆☆☆☆
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM       
He probably doesn't get paid for answers like yours hehe.

[nomeansno]I'mTheOneTheyCallMr.Inbetween[/nomeansno]
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM       
Quote:
I mean I guess I can understand how that can be a little annoying, but jesus christ I'm sorry for not feeling extreme emotions either way about the president, guys.
yeah, but the guy asked what you think about the president, not what you feel. someone can decide that george bush or bill clinton suck for totally objective reasons, and people who get visibly heated about politics either are directly affected by them or are kind of weird.

are you bored by learning about political shit or would you rather not concern yourself with a topic that might be depressing?
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrida View Post
are you bored by learning about political shit or would you rather not concern yourself with a topic that might be depressing?
I know this wasn't asked of me but,

I feel hopeless in our political system and believe that it is something to keep us busy while the real moves are made behind the curtains. If people feel that a bad person was voted in, they believe that a bad person can be voted out, and that gives then hope, false hope in my opinion.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrida View Post
The former It wasn't until very recently that I actually started watching the Daily Show and Colbert Report on a regular basis (which isn't saying much at all but at least it shows that I'm starting to develop a slight interest).

But when it comes to the democratic process I feel that I, an individual out of 300 million, won't do jack shit to change the world with my one vote anyway. I know this is the mindset of a good number of people in the country, but again, me as an individual changing my mindset won't to jack shit to change voter turnout. It's sort of a vicious circle.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:39 AM       
I feel that only the people who have educated themselves on the issues should vote. Other than that, I'm perfectly content if people want to remain ignorant and out of the electoral process.

When people tell you that you HAVE TO VOTE and have NO EXCUSE NOT TO VOTE, what they're really saying is that they want you to vote for THEIR guy.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM       
If they say "no excuse not to vote," figure out what their political alignment is and then say the opposite. "Well, I was thinking of voting for McCain..." when you encounter a Democrat or "Well, I was thinking of voting for Obama..." when you encounter a Republican.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM       
I was thinking that maybe if I voted third party it might actually be a vote for positive change. Nah, just kidding. USA! USA! USA!