Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Raize is probably a spambot
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 10:38 PM        Build a Windows XP install CD with SP2 slipstreamed / NO IE
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...howtopic=28005

Get nLite, and follow the instructions to remove crap like IE and IE Core, Windows Media Player, and etc. Package FireFox and VideoLan instead.

You'll have a very small installation that will run on 128 meg and 500 mhz computers really fast. You'll be able to use the computer just like a regular XP installation, you'll just be without IE and WMP.

It might sound like a daunting task at first, but you'll thank yourself for it later. My XP install right now is only about 700 meg with Firefox VideoLan *AND* that's including my pagefile (Virtual RAM) so that's pretty impressive.

Just thought you guys might like to know about this software. It totally kicks major ass.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:06 AM       
cool il definatly give that a try, well, after i have completed HL2.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:39 AM       
Boy am I glad there's nothing I have to do to not have firefox on my machine

McMock is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM       
Oh man. Bill Gates is going to be crying himself to sleep tonight!

Goldensoldier is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM       
That is pretty awsome, but i dont want to lose all my shit. I might just use it with my 30 gig hd that i have on my tv and see how it performs.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 09:45 PM       
Also wanted to note that this is mainly about performance rather than security. A lot of self-described geeks like to talk about Firefox and nixing IE, but this actually gives them an opportunity to abandon IE and WMP altogether, going with a more streamlined version.

I'm working on a modification to my ISO that actually lets me also package Word, Powerpoint, and Excel with this setup since the size is only about 300 meg for the installation files. Yes, you read that right, 300 meg. But it doesn't include the latest DirectX nor does it have all the other drivers that XP normally comes with. Which really isn't a problem, because it does have all the network drivers a regular installation of XP has, so you can download the latest via-4-in-one drivers or video card drivers after you get it installed.

Gaming-wise, you'd only need to load the latest DirectX and then install whatever game you wanted to play. And I'm certain you'd enjoy the quicker response and better handling you'd get, even with a sub-par video card.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:38 PM       
im bumping this thread in the hope Raize is still about.

Basically im planning on making my nice streamlined copy of XP this week but i was under the impression if IE is removed i will need a replacement windows explorer as it is all essentailly the same thing. Also a GUI replacement for windows?

Is this right or can i get rid of IE and keep windows explorer?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM       
I made a slipstream cd not too long ago using nlite. its pretty fricken awesome. Its so easy to make unattended cds and slipstream service packs. It took a while to get my raid drivers integrated. but once i did it took 11 minutes to install, including a format.

but i am no help cause i kept ie.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM       
I have just finished installing it. Its great my system is runnign faster than ever and i have none of those useless annoying programs clogging up my windows drive.
I fucked up the ATI cat driver integration so i had to put on the drivers manually but other than that all went smoothly.

I have removed IE with no problems but left on IE core.. just incase.

oh and the thingy whihc puts in all the CD key and whatnot is awsome. Now i can just go sit infront of the TV for 20mins and let it do all the work for me.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:29 PM       
i opted not even to integrate video drivers, I just did nic. There are too many video updates and i jsut assume get the newest ones right away
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM       
Yea i though about that but i wanted to try integrating drivers into it to see how it worked.

The next one i do i think il stick the latest Nforces on as they do not get updated very regularly.

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:49 PM       
Im so tempted to try this one. i just dont want to run into those imcompatabilty issues with some sites that exclusivly require "internet explorer 6 or higher" or those java intergrations that still require, once again, for ie to be there for some screwed up reason even though your using mozilla at the time ect.. this one does sound like the most solid "windows stripper" yet. i still like wmp for all the features like "true bass" and surround sound and the "wow" effects, and speaker selections. wonder if i could still keep my wmp and just get rid of ie...
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM       
Well what you can do is remove media plater for the CD as it is mediaplayer version 8 or something, then when you have windows insalled install media player 10.

Removeing IE and MP are not the best things about this program imo, as they have some use, its the way it lets you set up the CD for un attended install and lets you remove the really useless programs like windows messenger and move maker. It also lets you integrate your own drivers and remove the ones from the windows installation which you know you will never use.

All of which save on install time and disk space.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM       
Hard drive space isn't a premium anymore, so I couldn't give a shit if Microsoft wants to include an extra 2MB program on my 200GB drive. :/
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM       
Ok mabey not but it's nice not to have all the crap on your start menu and you can set up the themes and options in nlite so when you have installed windows its already set to your preferences for instance...

Windows classic theme
Classic control pannel
All folders set to view details
Do not group similar items in the task bar
Disable kernal files from bieng put into page file
etc etc

Also i have 5gig partitioned on my hard drive specifically for windows but as this includes whatever i have on my desktop and the page file, the extra couple of hundred MB are very useful.

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia
im bumping this thread in the hope Raize is still about.

Is this right or can i get rid of IE and keep windows explorer?
Yup.. it just gets rid of IE. Getting rid of IE core is also just getting rid of IE (and also MSHTA capability, which I doubt you'll use anyway) If you intend to use FireFox or Mozilla, then don't worry. If you intend to use something that sits on TOP of IE like a .NET browser or something (you should know if one is cause it won't have a Linux version) then don't get rid of it.

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 09:02 PM       
If you guys are worried about what you are getting rid of, start with the option that is called "Safe". It gets rid of a lot of useless stuff (although it does remove pretty much all drivers too, so you'll want to have those on hand). It save so much space though it is really worth it.

I would suggest just ditching IE and WMP and going with FireFox and VideoLAN respectively. They are both very nice.