Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:15 PM        Life changing experience
Last night i took 4 grams of dried p. cubensis. I now look at the world in a completely different way. Everything is wonderful and everybody is wonderful. I don't want this day after feeling to fade. Can anybody relate?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM       
fuck you
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 02:02 PM        Yo
Well, cause it's me I gotta ask.....

How was it?
And how does it compare to other substances? If you can make the comparison that is.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 02:27 PM       
I felt that way after listening to Ray Stevens. Cheaper, and a lot less hallucinatory.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:55 PM       
If you've finished the rice, it's time to wash the bowl.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM       
Did I mention I ate a locust once?
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:18 PM        Re: Yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibecrewangel
Well, cause it's me I gotta ask.....

How was it?
And how does it compare to other substances? If you can make the comparison that is.

The only other substances i have used are DXM, Marijuana, Alchohol, and Tabacco. And none of these compare. The DXM was like a milder psylobin in terms of hallucination, but the emotions and thoughts were not there. The experience defies definition, it was like waking from a dream and entering reality for the first time. I felt as if the body was a prison i was glad to escape. THe whole experence was good untill the last two hours (It was about a 7 hour trip). For the last two hours i felt like i have heard Psycosis described. I couldn't stop my thoughts from flowing, and i felt tortured by what felt like demons in my mind. I believe these wouldn't have been problems had I not taken such a large dose. The most amazing thing was the way i was able to observe people. Every person was wonderful. Faces were incredible, they all seemed porcelin and constantly morphing. I wish that i could tell you how it was accurately but it cannot be described.
Mocker

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:19 PM       
It is exactly because of one's inability to discuss that sensory status when not under it's influence that I believe any insight gained through such means to be ultimately meaningless, dangerously misleading and philosophically (I use this word in the most generic sense) meaningless. :square
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:36 PM       
Yes, but i remember the experience. I just can't put it into words. Can you put the way you feel when your in love into words? It is very similar.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:57 AM        Shrooms
Sounds like an overall good trip. Shrooms are the one drug I both love and hate. They take me places nothing else does. And make me a bit more openly critical of myself. Depending on where my thoughts go this can be very good or very bad. Though I have never had the typical "bad trip", only trips where I was faced with something I didn't like. If you let it, a "bad trip" can become one of the most enlightening experiences. You end up learning a lot about yourself if you are open to it.
And Slavadore Dali makes a lot more sense......

What you describe is a pretty standard trip.

Helm - describe the taste of broccoli or chocolate. Do it in a way that someone who has never tasted the substance would understand. You can try all you like, but until someone has tasted it themselves it won't mean anything. Without the benefit of experience any description is essentially meaningless. Drugs are no different.

Bad as it may sound, it's why I am open to trying almost anything. To have the benefit of experience. So that when someone describes free fall to me, I can draw from things I have felt in the past to help me understand something I haven't done (yet). Book knowledge is great. But it is still no substitute for practical experience.
Who would you rather have operate on you? Someone who has read every book on the subject or someone who has actually performed the operation in question.....

Not that I am saying drugs are a good thing and everyone should try them. Just that to judge the experience of is unfair. Unless it is your experience.

BigMc - Don't "try" to put it into words. If you do, you will end up stripping the meaning from it. Eventually, the words will come.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Can you put the way you feel when your in love into words?
Sure you can. Poets have been doing it for centuries.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM        Shrooms
Quote:
But can "you"? Just because "you" don't have the words doesn't make love any less real.

There are plenty of people who can put their drug experiences into words. Most sites call them trip reports. Shuglin even wrote books on the chemistry and effects of certain substances that he and his wife tested on themselves.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:36 AM        Re: Shrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibecrewangel
Quote:
But can "you"? Just because "you" don't have the words doesn't make love any less real.
Sure I can. I have plenty of words for love, and plenty of words that can make love less real.

I swear, though, if your next post starts with "but can 'I'?", that's it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:52 AM        Shrooms
No, I can too...though love is nothing I choose to describe.
And, as I am sure you (Dr. Boogie) realized...the you in " " was meant to describe a generic you...... You (Dr. Boogie) I assumed could put it into words. :P
But to those who have never felt it themselves the descriptions are still essentially meaningless.
And to those who have felt it but can't put it in to words, it is still very real.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Quote:
Yes, but i remember the experience. I just can't put it into words. Can you put the way you feel when your in love into words? It is very similar.
Helm is a robot and ROBOTS DON'T LOVE OKAY SMART GUY??? SHEESH
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
Quote:
Can you put the way you feel when your in love into words?
But those descriptions are meaningless unless you have experienced love. Like when i say that it was like awakining to a higher conciousness, that means nothing to you but it is a perfect description to some one who has experienced it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:34 PM       
Descriptions can have meanings for those kinds of things. As you both have said, the full experience can't be conveyed through words alone, but after reading that description and experiencing the sensation for yourself, you might subconsciously bring the description to mind and think that it is indeed the perfect way to describe it because you can't, and the existing description is good enough for you.
Mocker

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:08 PM       
Any description is inherently limited because language is not perfect means of communication. Naturally aspects of what one is trying to communicate will be lost, according to his descriptive ability, but ultimately also because the medium is flawed itself.

Love is a bad example. Love, as the highly romanticised magical fluffy meaning-of-life concept, is a very misleading and ultimately fabricated helpful lie, and I for one do not care to perpetuate it by using it, even as an example. I will not validate this concept in any way. I will instead hold my breath for a full minute until I am all red in the face and have killed proportionally enough brain cells as I would have if I had come to a significant orgasm.

Now let's just say you said 'lust' (or something equally biological) instead so I can make my point. So if somebody is describing lust, he can try to do it using words, which are based on various logical constructions which of course are based on empyrical knowledge, originally. (don't make me elaborate on this, it is boring) He might do a good job of describing lust or not, and yes, if the other person hasn't felt it, it might not mean anything even if he does a good job. But if you're describing something like drug use, you have another problem in that this drug use is altering the foundations of language, which are teh logic. You can not trust sensory perception to be according to any logical assumption, and so you are left with trying to describe A by using A as means of description. Bummer.

Any level of logical description is to a degree flawed, but when describing so fundamentally altering experiences as drug use, you literally have no words to use. And so as an object of philosophical discussion, drugs are a no no.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:27 PM        Shrooms
Helm -

Do you feel the same way about meditation?
Or fasting?
Or practicing martial arts blindfolded?
Hypnosis?
Talking with a therapist?
Dreaming?

All of these "alter your perceptions" in much the same way as drugs.

Try to think of them as filters.
MDMA can be a filter to help block the emotional stress attached to a traumatic event making it easier to think or talk about. Without the emotional stress blocking rational thought it can be easier to work through the event as opposed to having emotions cloud you.
(I can also argue the other side, but for the sake of this one I'll stay "pro-drug")

In the case of shrooms, (for most people) you tend to be filtered in such a way that you are able to look at your actions as if they were the actions of others and judge them in that way.
In my case for example I was able to notice that the things I REALLY disliked in other people were things I disliked in myself even if I often felt justified in my actions. (Or was remarkably unaware of them.....) On shrooms that feeling of entitlement or justification wasn't there and I was able to look at each set of circumstances without "myself" getting in the way.
It gave me the chance to change my own behaviors that were inappropriate or that I found offensive in others. And it also gave me the ability to look at other people and judge their actions more clearly on the circumstances and less on the fact that I disliked the behavior.
This is what I took away from the trip. After being very upset and not liking myself very much for the duration of it.

What makes these any different then using caffeine or ritalin(sp) to help you focus?

I am so not a "party" drug user.......
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Love is a bad example. Love, as the highly romanticised magical fluffy meaning-of-life concept, is a very misleading and ultimately fabricated helpful lie, and I for one do not care to perpetuate it by using it, even as an example. I will not validate this concept in any way. I will instead hold my breath for a full minute until I am all red in the face and have killed proportionally enough brain cells as I would have if I had come to a significant orgasm.

Now let's just say you said 'lust' (or something equally biological) instead so I can make my point. .

When i say "love" i mean "Biological attraction" it is a very real feeling and while lust is rooted in our desire to procreate, "love" is a way to stay healthy. It can reduce stress, help with child rearing, and if you go back far enough pair bonding was a good way to stay alive.

And Vibe, Party drug use is stupid, when i use drugs it is for my emotional, phycological, and spiritual elightnment. So i can respect you for not doing the party drug scene.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:25 PM        Shrooms
Thanks. You too.

Psychonauts

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:53 PM       
Quote:
I couldn't stop my thoughts from flowing, and i felt tortured by what felt like demons in my mind.
You just felt them or did you see demons too
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:00 PM        Shrooms
Quote:
You just felt them or did you see demons too
That would be DMT........

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
That would be DMT........
I don't know what DMT is but I'll assume it's a drug.
Does this mean you've seen demons Vibe?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:19 PM       
You took a trip
And Climbed a tree
at Robert Sledge's party
And there you stayed
'till morning came
You were not the same after that

You gave your life
to Jesus Christ