Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM        VoteToImpeach.org
http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

I know this one will get many panties in a bunch.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:40 PM       
Too bad I don't wear undies.

Meh, big deal. I once found a petition calling for a boycott of the Two Towers because someone thought it was an attempt to cash in 9/11.

What makes this any different?
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:35 AM       
KILL THE PRESIDENT.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:38 AM       
It's only fair, seeing how he didn't really win the presidency in the first place.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:40 AM       
The current workings of the Electoral College are the result of both design and experience. As it now operates:

Each State is allocated a number of Electors equal to the number of its U.S. Senators (always 2) plus the number of its U.S. Representatives (which may change each decade according to the size of each State's population as determined in the Census).
The political parties (or independent candidates) in each State submit to the State's chief election official a list of individuals pledged to their candidate for president and equal in number to the State's electoral vote. Usually, the major political parties select these individuals either in their State party conventions or through appointment by their State party leaders while third parties and independent candidates merely designate theirs.
Members of Congress and employees of the federal government are prohibited from serving as an Elector in order to maintain the balance between the legislative and executive branches of the federal government.
After their caucuses and primaries, the major parties nominate their candidates for president and vice president in their national conventions
traditionally held in the summer preceding the election. (Third parties and independent candidates follow different procedures according to the individual State laws). The names of the duly nominated candidates are then officially submitted to each State's chief election official so that they might appear on the general election ballot.

On the Tuesday following the first Monday of November in years divisible by four, the people in each State cast their ballots for the party slate of Electors representing their choice for president and vice president (although as a matter of practice, general election ballots normally say "Electors for" each set of candidates rather than list the individual Electors on each slate).
Whichever party slate wins the most popular votes in the State becomes that State's Electors-so that, in effect, whichever presidential ticket gets the most popular votes in a State wins all the Electors of that State. [The two exceptions to this are Maine and Nebraska where two Electors are chosen by statewide popular vote and the remainder by the popular vote within each Congressional district].
On the Monday following the second Wednesday of December (as established in federal law) each State's Electors meet in their respective State capitals and cast their electoral votes-one for president and one for vice president.
In order to prevent Electors from voting only for "favorite sons" of their home State, at least one of their votes must be for a person from outside their State (though this is seldom a problem since the parties have consistently nominated presidential and vice presidential candidates from different States).
The electoral votes are then sealed and transmitted from each State to the President of the Senate who, on the following January 6, opens and reads them before both houses of the Congress.
The candidate for president with the most electoral votes, provided that it is an absolute majority (one over half of the total), is declared president. Similarly, the vice presidential candidate with the absolute majority of electoral votes is declared vice president.
In the event no one obtains an absolute majority of electoral votes for president, the U.S. House of Representatives (as the chamber closest to the people) selects the president from among the top three contenders with each State casting only one vote and an absolute majority of the States being required to elect. Similarly, if no one obtains an absolute majority for vice president, then the U.S. Senate makes the selection from among the top two contenders for that office.
At noon on January 20, the duly elected president and vice president are sworn into office.
Occasionally questions arise about what would happen if the pesidential or vice presidential candidate died at some point in this process.For answers to these, as well as to a number of other "what if" questions, readers are advised to consult a small volume entitled After the People Vote: Steps in Choosing the President edited by Walter Berns and published in 1983 by the American Enterprise Institute. Similarly, further details on the history and current functioning of the Electoral College are available in the second edition of Congressional Quarterly's Guide to U.S. Elections, a real goldmine of information, maps, and statistics.
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:55 AM       
Too Long To Read.

but i am sure you raise some valid points in there, somewhere.

Or maybe not.

Its just too goddamn long, you make my brain hurt, baby.

ps.

KILL THE PRESIDENT.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM       
Powell would have made a much better president.
Mocker
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:04 PM       
We don't need no negroids in the White House.

I agree with you, but he would have never won. We are still well shy of that goal.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM       
dang blanco
any hope for you?
i dont care what 'race' we have in ther as long as they arent fundamentalists using tyranny

so votetoimpeach.org only has 100,000 plus signatures right now!
we need millions! arhg
Mocker
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:28 PM       
How many different signatures. Thats the problem.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:21 PM       
Aw, come on. There's elections next year. How much damage could he do between now and then? Really?
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM       
Well, guaranteed he needs a swift victory in the Middle East before he can begin campaigning in earnest, so there is at least one eventuality.

Hopefully, though, another War Profiteering commission will be appointed, like tomorrow, and Cheney will get investigated, implicating Bush, and then we can have an impeachment for both of them and then. . .Well, I think Tom Delay would be acting President. . .No that doesn't sound right, but in any case, won't be Powell though his influence would definately blow up.
Mocker
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:37 PM       
Speaker of the House follows the VP in succession.

And the Demoncrats still have no one strong enough. It would take a disaster to take out Bush.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:47 PM       
Alright then, it would be Denny Hastert who took over.

House Majority Leader, Speaker of the House. . Not sure why I confused the two. I should know better
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Powell would have made a much better president.
"Colin Powell has a better chance of winning the bronze in Female Gymnastics." -Chris Rock
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 05:32 AM.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
Alright then, it would be Denny Hastert who took over.

House Majority Leader, Speaker of the House. . Not sure why I confused the two. I should know better
Whew! Soooo glad Sentate Majority Trent Lott made those comments about Strom Thurmond. He was waaay too close to the "Sweet Spot" for my liking.

Wherever you go, there you are.