Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM        War On Drugs, now being fought with FULL automatic weapons!
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Dance_pa...in_Utah%2C_USA

Watch the videos. Surreal and scary.

Here's a personal account (from the DOA forums) from one of the folks who was arrested:

Quote:
I purchased a ticket to attend an electronic music festival for the night of August 20, 2005. Upon arriving at the festival I was searched thoroughly by security to ensure that there was no contraband entering the area. A few hours after arriving to the event a helicopter, the police department, k-9 units, and a swat team appeared. I had never experienced such a dramatic entrance before and I was immediately told to leave the area. Without argument, I began to pack the tent my friend and I had brought with us, when suddenly guns were pointed at me with instructions to leave NOW. Again, complying with orders I began to roll the tent quickly, but still the police pointed guns and began to scream, so in attempt to not cause problems I grabbed the entire tent and walked away. Approximately 150 yards down the path towards my car there was a sudden attack in which a member of the swat team in full military combat regalia kicked me in the back knocking me flat on my face, put his knee in my back and handcuffed me. (In plastic hand cuffs that were to tight, causing my hands to turn purple by time I got to the jail) After being handcuffed, I ask two men what I'm being charged for, one of the other swat members brings over James Tracey(head of utah county police department), and Mr. Tracey writes on my arm in marker ‘distribution’. I do not use or sell drugs in anyway way or form and was personally offended by this. As I was standing, waiting, and wondering what would happen I looked around and was shocked to see guys and girls alike being hit and kicked by multiple members of the swat team. These people were following orders, just walking away…then they were beaten followed by James Tracey writing some random conviction on their arm. I was searched both before and after reaching the jail in which both times no contraband was found on me, yet I was still being charged for distribution. I was pushed and shoved into a van crammed with people; they did not put on our seat belts, endangering my own safety and the safety of others. I was taken to Utah county jail. During this time, I was never read my rights nor never told why I was being jailed (other than a mistreatment of writing on my body). I spent Sunday in Utah county jail, causing myself and my family much grief, embarrassment, and financial burden.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM       
i bet that's not the BOOM BOOM BOOM those drugheads had in mind am i right

i love how the cops arrested the security guards for possession... the hired security guards whose job it was to confiscate drugs. utah sounds like a real fun place!
Mocker
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM       
I love how the official police story has changed from "no permits" to "only one of multiple required permits" since the promoters were able to prove they had the health department permit.

1st-hand accounts from the promoters say the troopers confiscated their copy of the permit they did have, but they were able to prove they had it because they paid the fees with a Visa card!

I just can't get over the imagery of American soldiers (they guys look just like US Army soldiers) pointing assault rifles at American kids just for being at an outdoor concert.

I'll bet there were less drugs per person at this event than at Woodstock.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:25 PM       
it's all those mormons!
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM       
Ravers say cops were too rough making bust
Utah County: Sheriff defends the actions, denies wrongdoing
By Michael N. Westley
The Salt Lake Tribune

Partygoers at a rave in Spanish Fork Canyon that was busted by police Saturday night say officers used brutal and excessive force to clear the crowd.
As many as 90 police officers from several agencies, including SWAT members and major crimes investigators, stormed the DJ-driven dance party around 11:30 p.m. dressed in full SWAT gear and holding automatic weapons.
A helicopter announced the police presence as it crested a nearby hill and began shining a spotlight on the outdoor dance area, said 19-year-old Scott Benton of Logan.
"The cops just came in wearing full Army [camouflage]. It was basically brute force," Benton said. "I had a gun put in my face and was told to get out of there."
Standing in a crowd of people near the main stage, Alisha Matagi says she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when she was thrown to the ground, punched, kicked and handcuffed by police.
"I did absolutely nothing wrong," she said. Matagi was arrested with about 60 other partyers. She was booked into the Utah County Jail on the suspicion of resisting arrest and failing to obey an officer, according to police records.
About 1,000 people were cleared in less than a half-hour from the private ranch owned by the Childs family in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon, rave promoters said. Several party attendees told The Salt Lake Tribune that officers barked orders fraught with profanity, beat people to the ground and used their weapons to intimidate the crowd.
A video of the opening moments of the bust, taken by Jeffrey Coombs and snatched from the ground by another partier as Coombs was tackled, shows the officers using force on individuals as they took over the crowd.
Utah County Sheriff James Tracy said Monday that he had seen the video and called it an accurate representation of the bust.
"I stand by everything that was done there that night. We did use some force. It was appropriate and necessary to take those who were fighting us into custody," Tracy said.
He also said that no officers used profanity as they conversed with partiers, nor did they punch, kick, Mace or use tear gas on any of the attendees.
"It's all a lie and we refute every word of that," said Tracy.
But the video clearly shows an officer using profanity as he demands the music be turned off.
"Turn that off. Turn that music off or I'll take your ass to jail," the officer can be heard saying to the DJ. In the video, the area where people had been dancing transforms into what looks like a battlefield with groups of officers surrounding ravers on the ground, guns drawn and assault dogs in tow.
"I saw a girl tackled to the ground for no reason because she told them not to touch her. It was vicious," Benton said.
Police said the party Saturday night was the third event held in Utah County during the past month. The all-night parties attract a host of illegal activities including drug use, theft, sexual assault and underage drinking, according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Gilbert.
Saturday's party, named Versus II, had been tracked by police for several weeks, Gilbert said. Police planned the bust when they discovered that the rave's promoters had not filed for a mass gathering permit through the County Commission office.
To have more than 250 at an event without that permit is a violation of the law, Gilbert said.
Party promotor Brandon Fullmer said he purchased a mass gathering permit through the Utah County Health Department about three weeks ago. The purchase of that permit, which ensures water, sanitation and medical services, was confirmed by County Health employee Jay Stone.
Fullmer did not know that a similar permit, which requires a security plan and event details, needed to be acquired.
The sheriff had little sympathy for the promoters or those at the rave. "They did nothing more than ensure this was a venue for illegal drug use and consumption," Tracy said. Officers confiscated ecstasy, marijuana, alcohol, cocaine and mushrooms, he said.
Among those arrested for drug possession were several security guards hired by Fullmer to patrol the event. Guards at security check points confiscated alcohol and drugs as ravers filed into the party, Fullmer said.
"[Security guards] have no legal statutory authority to take and hold controlled substances. It's against the law for them to have them," Tracy said.
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the djs at the event
The police were rounding up the staff of the party and the main promoter went up to them with the permit for the show and said "here, I have the permit." The police then said, "no you don't" and ripped the permit out of his hand. Then, they put an assault rifle to his forehead and said "get the fuck out of here right now."
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM       
I do think it is comical the secruity guards were arrested but it is not their job drug to confiscate drugs or any other illegal object. Just like it is not mall secruity's job to arrest and detain a shoplifter. They are suppose to contact the police.

The rest of this story is pure madness though and I'm glad I wasn't having fun at that rave.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM       
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fuck Utah.
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM       
Is this story getting any media attention or are we still worried about what happened to the girl in Aruba?
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM       
kryste, how could any one of those police actually think they are doing the right thing?
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM       
Ant, not outside of Utah really.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
kryste, how could any one of those police actually think they are doing the right thing?
as long as they can wave around their submachine guns and kick some hippy ass, they're in heaven...
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM       
I'm trying to show everyone I can this thing. Fuck Cindy Sheehan, this is actually important and will probably be ignored unless everyone makes a fuss.
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM       
That's great to hear. I was kind of under the impression that most folks wouldn't give a flying fuck that SWAT teams in full riot gear with assault rifles were beating down ravers for asking them questions when they broke up their party, since everyone knows all ravers are just drugged up losers anyway.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM       
This is, and will always be, inherent to any State.
Mocker
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM       
Shutup OAO.
Mocker
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM       
more alleged police brutality against youth who listen to terrible music:

http://selfdestruckt.net/punk_picnic.htm

sadly, most of the images are broken links. sorry ass punk rockers can't figure out the internet.