Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:11 PM        The Elitist Dork Thread
AG-AG-AG-AG-AG-AG
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:02 PM       
Quote:
They handed out tissue boxes before the show and everything
gross

-willie
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:13 PM       
That's very presumtuous of them. From what I heard, a barf bag would be much more appropriate.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM        Re: The Passion Of The Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid
They handed out tissue boxes before the show and everything. The movie is really graphic.
- That's fuckin' sick.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:20 PM       
Politics, philosiphy, religion forum, frowny emoticon!!!
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:02 PM        Re: The Passion Of The Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Simard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid
They handed out tissue boxes before the show and everything. The movie is really graphic.
- That's fuckin' sick.

jesus wouldnt want them to cry

Hugh_Bristic is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:37 PM       
This movie is like, so dumb. Why does it have to be all graphic? It's not like Jesus really died that way, right?

And like, do we really have to see all this violence or like, can we just watch TV instead 'cause that's definiltey a much better, cleaner medium, with absolutely no graphic detail whatsoever? Like... can we?

Fuck you.
...for breakfast?!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:52 PM       
What the fuck are you talking about?
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:54 PM       
Hey like your retarded. Did you like witness the crucifiction? Are you like 2000 years old? Shut up retard.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM       
like, totally. like... stop being so beasty. barf out! gage me with a spoon.

I find show on TV like "friends" and "extreme home makover" more offensive than absolute gore.
...for breakfast?!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM       
The point is not that the movie has too much gore.

The point is that the movie has nothing BUT gore.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
Quote:
They handed out tissue boxes before the show and everything
gross
This seriously made me laugh harder than anything in like forever for some reason.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:21 PM       
This thread sucks really bad
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:42 PM       
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM       
HEY GUYS, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I THOUGHT THE BOOK WAS WAAAAYYY BETTER.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:50 PM       
does anyone else think behind all this retarded controversy that there will be a rhetorically bad movie...
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
does anyone else think behind all this retarded controversy that there will be a rhetorically bad movie...
the only retarded thing I see in this thread is you. Jesus would kick your ass.
Mocker
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM       
yup, that's very funny...

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
Careful, now. He's probably got a high threshold for pain from sitting on that cross.
Mocker
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM       
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:14 PM       
BOBO IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DEFINITIVELY SAY WHAT THE CRUCIFIXTION WAS LIKE.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:21 PM       

I saw this in theatres twice.
Mocker
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:57 PM       
edit:

I wanna see it now
Mocker

James sucks
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorizons.com
With certain films the idea of giving a totally unbiased objective opinion is impossible to be honest. In this case, one's religious beliefs will have an influence over how one reacts to it - and like any adaptation of a universally known book/legend/mythology, those familiar with its little details are obviously going to get a lot more out of it than those who aren't. As an agnostic myself with neither any religious beliefs or real foreknowledge of the Jesus story, I can only speak from that perspective and so admittedly some criticisms I have here are undoubtedly things which those familiar with the text will disagree or not notice in their viewings as its part of the original story.

That said despite all the hype and controversy, "The Passion of the Christ" turns out overall to be something that completely surprised me - rather average. Visually its glorious with Caleb Deschanel's poetic cinematography and the utilitarian production design giving us something striking but never too grandiose. Ok so they go overboard on the slow motion shots but elements such as the costume design (this film has the swankiest priest outfits you've ever seen), the sets, the score and lighting make it all an admittedly atmospheric film (esp. in the first half), and the much debated issue of subtitles and speaking everything in the ancient languages of the time does nothing to detract from the story.

The fact is though from a perspective of someone only familiar with the basic elements of the tale, the straight forwardness of this film's tone and lack of back story make for an essentially empty adaptation lacking any real depth or emotion. This Passion is a coldly clinical take on Jesus' death - non-believers will be glad to hear the film is thankfully not preachy, but you are going to have a hard time catching up as with the exception of a few unenlightening flashbacks, we're thrown right into the brutal events of his last few hours with no explanation of how we got there and in many cases where we are. For example because I read other reviews of the film I know things like that the bald androgynous woman is Satan and that Monica Bellucci is Mary Magdalene, thank god for that because neither is clearly explained in the film (any adaptation should at least try an be accessible to those unfamiliar with the original source material).

Aside from the look of the film, it's obvious Gibson has put a LOT of effort into the movie and it's a very visible labor of love. The performances are the other thing that really define it with Caviezel and Morgenstern as Mary providing superb work in essentially one-note roles. Kudos should also go out to the effectively sinister androgynous woman, and the guy playing Pontius Pilate as he turns out to be the film's most interesting and multi-dimensional character. The others however aren't so good, not from acting but rather an understandable lack of development. Bellucci is reduced to staring off into the distance, Jesus' close disciples from Judas to Peter are over before they really begin, and Caiphas and his priests are baddies in an almost Hollywood tone (I was almost expecting evil laughter). Assorted villagers scream or look sad, assorted Romans grit their bad teeth and throw whips - not much too it.

The flashbacks, which are a short but welcome relief to the rest of the film's draining tone, attempt to provide a little insight into the power of Jesus and his messages but aren't particularly clear in their intent. In them however we do find one of the film's few emotional pulls - that of the love of Mary & Jesus. A scene towards the end of the film where she tries to help her fallen son is a tear jerker mostly due to the aforementioned fine work of the actress. Surprisingly enough this is in opposition to the grisly 'scourging' scene where Christ is brutally tortured. The real nasty stuff begins about an hour in and from then on the entire film's tone changes.

The first half whilst convoluted and a little confusing for a non-Christian, has interesting elements and themes of betrayal, tragedy, love, etc. and visually changes scenery and look relatively frequently. Then comes the second hour which is where the tedium sets in. Is the violence brutal, yes. Overdone? To be sure. Shocking? Funnily enough no. The term subtlety isn't in Gibson's vocabulary, thus the violence is so graphic and constant that one becomes essentially desensitised to it - once that happens the rest of the film can be seen for what it is - a self-indulgent yawner. We know Jesus gets horrifically beaten by two Romans - why do we need to see it drawn out to ten minutes. We know he's forced to carry his crucifixion cross up the hill - so why then does Gibson have to spend a full half hour filming Jesus shuffling, tripping, being harassed by the guards, shuffling, tripping, harassed, shuffling, tripping, etc. over and over?

In a two hour movie a good 2/3 of the last hour could've been removed or better yet replaced with a better examination of the characters and Jesus' spiritual message whilst still leaving in violence and brutality cut in such a way that would've had even more impact than the gratuitous gore fest currently has. By taking the far easier option of displaying excessive violence than exploring spirituality, Gibson essentially lost the message he's trying to convey - so while we see what happened to Jesus, we understand very little about why. That leaves us as an audience bored rather than enlightened. This most human of tales is sadly lacking humanity. - Garth Franklin
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:21 PM       
I just saw the movie and am rather pleased with it cinimatically. Great performances and good cinematography. The violence may seem over the top to some, but I actually thought it add more emotion and drama to the film. Unlike the previous reviewer I think this film contains a lot of emotional depth.

I would concider this film above average, bot necessarly multi-oscar winning material. The story was pretty powerful and unlike the previous review, I am sure a non-beleiver could easily follow this film(I am Agnostic and i didn't have any problem), and like the overall experience.

I thought the use of dead languages was a good decision, and I almost agree with Gibson, that subtitles shouldn't have been used. But in some parts it would be really hard to understand what meaning the dialogue had.

"Visually its glorious with Caleb Deschanel's poetic cinematography and the utilitarian production design giving us something striking but never too grandiose." - he knows big words, listen to HIM. Poetic Cinematography? Those words don't even go together. Just another dumbass untalented critic.

Edit - And the Gore? This movie has nothing on the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. I don't think it distracts the viewer from the strong meaning of the film.