Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:28 AM        Wherein I talk about the elections
In the original (and hopefully ONLY) Clinton years, I really disliked Hillary. I disliked the entire administration, but to me it seemed odd that I should develop an opinion of a first lady when such a position should ideally be irrelevant to the political process. I mean this not in a misogynistic sense, since were we to have a female president I would expect the first man (?) to be irrelevant on the grounds that the president should serve the populace per the voice of the populace, not spousal nagging.

By the time I had learned the term “Machiavellian” sometime in my adolescence, I thought it was apt for Hillary. I guess now I’d use the more vogue “Realpolitik”, though.

I desperately want the Democratic Party to win the 2008 election. In all honesty, based on commentary I’ve read comparing voting records and tendencies I doubt that a second Clinton campaign would look different from an Obama one in any legislatively meaningful sense. The problem is that Hillary strikes me and many, many others as being unelectable. Either the American people would choose to elect her because >50% of the electoral college is selected by diehard democrats, which seems virtually impossible right now, or she will lose because of a reputation she solidified eight years ago.

If she gave a shit about ANYTHING other than her own ego—the public good, the good of her party, the ideals she nominally claims—she would have never entered the presidential race on the grounds that she would detract from a legitimate and meaningful dialectic process among valid candidates.

Her original New York senatorial run, topped with a townhouse in Harlem, left me disgusted both with her as a person and the American people’s celebrity fixation that actually put her into that office.

Further aesthetics of the whole thing are even more appalling. I remember in grade school wondering why there was so much inflated rhetoric of our Founding Fathers’ greatness when President John Adams was followed the next generation by President John Quincy Adams. If it had been such a huge deal and verily a purported component of the American psyche that we should abandon the antiquated ideas of dynastic legitimacy, why were we forging our own dynasties with voluntary elections? Fast forward to the past twenty years: when historians look back and see a period of elections the victors of which form the pattern, “Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton”, how fucking ridiculous is that going to look? As if the Iraq War isn’t staining the legacy of our era enough? I guess pre-Norman England saw two incarnations of the House of Wessex within its monarchy separated by a full generation, but nothing of the mercurial idiocy of this magnitude.

Oh, and it doesn’t help her cause as far as I’m concerned in that I happen to like Obama. I first heard of Obama when I was living in the same neighborhood as he; he taught at the university while I was a student there. When he made his senatorial run, what impressed me about the whole situation was that the university, as an institution and as a community, never really said a word about him. The actual neighborhood community, however, couldn’t get enough of him. These were people who generally loathed the dichotomy between the foreign professors making $150k per annum and the minority locals who made $18k per annum to wash chalkboards every two hours. Maybe it was for totally stupid reasons in that they assumed that because he has dark skin he shared in common heritage, but I’d go into the Walgreens down the street from my dorm and there’d be exactly two different books for sale: Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (maybe ten or so copies) and Obama’s autobiography (numerous stacks wherever room was to be found, frequently emptied and replenished.)

So, yeah, I voted for Obama in 2004. I had wanted to vote absentee on behalf of my home state, but I hadn’t registered to do so in time so I voted locally. When I was amazed to find that he was extremely intelligent, eloquent, and capable, I doubted he could ever become president because he had at least the vestige of integrity. Within a few months of his victory, people talked about Illinois/Indiana unity (I don’t really know why, both states tend to forget that they share a mutual border) with an Obama/Evan Bayh presidential ticket. I thought that would be far too good to be true.

So, yeah, if Hilary fucks this up for America I’ll be somewhat pissed.

Speaking of Indiana senators, though, in preparing for the worst (a Hillary run wins the race for McCain), I would like to see the Republican ticket rounded out by someone I like. I find Evan Bayh pretty unremarkable as a Hoosier, but our Richard Lugar is an amazing beacon of hope within the GOP. In fact, before the presidential bids began in earnest he and Obama made a world tour together. Lugar once visited my father at school and talked about how nuclear proliferation was the greatest threat to the world back when nobody else in congress would say it, and he has consistently held a realistic view of the world scene despite his party holding global realism in deep contempt. Aside from his tacit support of the war and endorsement of torture, Lugar is pretty tolerable. I realized, however, that he could never get the vice presidential nod because the GOP is going to look for batshit extremism in their VP to win back their fold who thinks that McCain is too “liberal”.

So, yeah, fuck politics.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Vesihiisi sihisi hississä
Hobo Renee is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM       
I don't really have enough time to write a proper response to your post, but I wanted to say that I have been sharing many of the same sentiments as you, regarding the election. My main problem with Clinton at the moment (and I have many problems with her) is that she will stop at nothing to win. It doesn't matter to her if she makes Obama unelectable in the process. Since I'm living overseas, without television access, I've only followed the election online, but I'm shocked with how nasty the fighting is between the two Democratic candidates. If McCain wins in November, the Democrats only have their primary to blame.

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM       
Well.....

I'm not so sure that it is a bad thing that there is so much infighting and wordsmithing and rhetoric between the two candidates. I think that is as much a product of the campaigns and the party organization as it is in the fact that half the country had either a primary or a caucus on "Super Tuesday". All the politics was crunched into two mind-numbing coma-inducing elections - one Red and one Blue.

So yes, there were some things said, and some things better left unsaid, but that's campaigning in the 21st century. One slip of the tongue and you're all over the blogs and youtube. Instant media coverage.

As my state is one of the few that didn't reschedule its primary (not for lack of trying) we have somehow gone from being irrelevant at this stage in the electoral process to a "big ticket item"! Both Dems are all over us campaigning their hearts out, and truth be told, I haven't seen or heard of much negativism of late. You'd think it would be flying fast and furious, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

This makes me think that (hopefully) cooler heads are starting to prevail. Neither candidate will have the nomination "sewed up" by the time Denver rolls around, so rather than duke it out amonst themselves, focus on the real enemy that is the current administration, and the candidate it supports in November. (Far more likely than the "back room deals" that some people are not so silently hoping for.)

Just my 3 cents back from a nickel.
You may already be there.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Apr 1st, 2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelign
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM       
Clinton and Obama are speaking in Grand Forks, ND today and a lot of Manitobans are driving down to hear Obama speak, including a bunch of provincial government officials. He's expected to have a lot more people attending his rally than she will, and its indicative of the general opinion of Canadians (around here at least) that Obama would be a much better president than Clinton.

If he doesn't get elected in November, he can come up here and be our president.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM       
I dislike the Clintons intensely and distrust them even more. Are folks here aware of her ties to 'The Family', a DC religious/sexually segregated/mostly Republican group sworn to secrecy? I know, I know, sounds like tin foil hate stuff, but its been written about extensively by The Atlantic Monthly.

It think Ms. Clinton is pragmatic to the point that if she honestly felt eating a live baby would gain her superdelegates, she'd do it.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM       
Is there a link to this information, Max? If you'd post it, I'd read it.

The Atlantic article, that is, not the "eating a live baby for superdelegates" thing.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM       
oh you'd read that too and you know it
after enough bourbon ...
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM       
I didn't say I wouldn't - I'd just like to read the Atlantic article first ....
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:28 AM       
Anal Cunt seems to have recently released a song called "Anyone who votes for Hilary Clinton is a Faggot"
Now, I was sold on Obama years before anyone outside of IL had heard of him, as I mention.

But if he made this his official campaign song, I wouldn't vote for him to be president.

I'd vote for him to be fucking EMPEROR.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:34 AM       
Apparently another song on that album is going to be called "Even Though I Agree With The Majority of Your Political Stances, You're Still A Fucking ******"

Ya, I suppose if you can talk about the new Anal Cunt album in a thread about US elections, the ridiculousness of US politics does put the quiet, polite ridiculousness of Canadian politics to shame.

EDIT: What, you can say faggot but you can't say ******? ****** that

Last edited by Big Papa Goat : Apr 11th, 2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: ******s
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM       
Yeah, the local LJ community was getting retarded about like a 10-minute bathroom break for Obama between his Columbus and Terre Haute stops, posting a YouTube with some of the posters in it shaking his hand or trying to shake his hand. Most of this is pining for how important someone is if they happen to have been, at one point, thirty feet away from a potential future president.

It might be hard for you guys to believe, but the local LJ community members sometimes forget how awesome I am. I had to use this to remind them:

Last time I voted for Obama, I think he lived a few blocks away from where I did. I knew that I should follow him around with a video camera back then, but with no YouTube, no formalized presidential aspirations, and the tedium of cross-referencing his teaching schedule with my classes in a totally separate part of campus... it just felt weird to me.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:09 AM       
I'm disgusted with any the trifecta. Hilary is a conniving bitch hunting for a power grab, Obama might as well be a Black Panther given his history, and McCain is either a bloodthirsty warmonger or naive idealist.

I miss the old conservatives - the stalwart anti-war, anti-welfare, anti-immigration, federalist crowd. I won't be happy till the paleos build in numbers and I can say I'm proud of my WASP heritage and western civilization without fear of being trampled at the university.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM       
It's nice to see you're still a self congratulatory idiot.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM       
Between the questions about Obama's meager association with William Ayers, a former Weatherman
-Some MAJOR NEWS OUTLET
So, Hilary Clinton attacked Obama for this? What a cunt. Having special insight into the world of Hyde Park dynamics of the Chicago landscape, I can tell you from experience that it's hard to live there and NOT run into Bill Ayers at some point. Obama was a big figure in the neighborhood community, as I mentioned, as was Ayers. I listened to Ayers talk about how his main regret was being involved in one of his friends getting blown up by accident (I don't think he was directly responsible for that one), and a secondary regret was that he didn't seem to remember the wild orgies as well as they were depicted in the documentary about the Weathermen.

It's hilarious to see the right attack Ayers for being a terrorist, when he was merely acting out the argument for which they claim they don't need to register the assault rifles they buy for deer hunting.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
after enough bourbon ...
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM       
I just received a phone call from "Hillary Clinton for President" asking me to remember to vote on Tuesday. For a minute, I thought that I had won a free trip to Florida for two.

The only candidate that I'll vote for will be the one that can GUARANTEE these calls will STOP once and for all.