Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Galvatron is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM        Happiness of the Katakuris
I really hope this hasn't been reviewed already here.

Ah, "Happiness of the Katakuris", it is without a doubt the most bizzare film I've ever seen. And I truly doubt any film will ever be made to match this film. This film is the champion, give it every single award a film can get. I don't care if the award does not apply to the film, it just deserves it that much.

The basic plotline of the film is about a family opening a guest house on a lovely hillside. But you wouldn't think that when you start watching the film.

The film opens with a woman being given a bowl of what I assume is French Onion soup in a Midwestern style cafe ( I was unaware they had alot of those in Japan). Anyway, she pulls out of the soup what I first took to be an aborted fetus. But then I saw this think had little wing and a small antennae upon it's head. Then this alien angel thing came to life via use of claymation. The woman screamed, and the thing looked in her mouth to see her heart shaped uvula. It promptly lept into her mouth and pulled her uvula out, ate it, then flew away. What follows after that is a bizzared claymation scene, featuring the alien being eaten by a crow, the crow being eaten by a demonic teddy bear, etc.

Then the film changes direction to the Katakuris, the real focus of this film. This family has some serious issues. Known to them, they have family issues, in essence, they are trying to find happiness as a family, but a family is made of different people with different desires. The Katakuri family consists of a husband, wife, their three children, and their grandfather (who decided to open the guest house). Aside from the opening of the movie, this film seems like it would be a moving family drama, but it's anything but that. Throughout this film, the Katakuris suddenly break into fully choreographed musical numbers, the first time they do this is when their first guest commits suicide and they sing a rock song about what should be done with the corpse.

The Katakuri guest house seems to be cursed, as all the house guests die, from different reasons. So the main theme of the film seems to be the family trying to be normal and happy despite all their guests six feet under in their backyard.

Another theme in the film, which I found amusing was the older sister's love interest. A man claiming to be in the royal navy, who also swears he is a foreigner, named Richard, who is clearly Japanese, who later tells the sister he is part of England's royal family. After he dies, the older sister and the family finds out he was conning them the whole time, the funny part is that they all seem so shocked that he was not really a foreigner.

The film is truly bizarre, and in the end, makes very little sense. But one thing is for certain. You must see this film, because your life will never be complete if you don't. Even if you end up hating it, at least you can say that you have seen what is truly the strangest piece of cinema this planet will ever come up with