Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM        Protect the Senate Filibuster
I know it's sort of lame to simply post a rant from a paper's Op/Ed board, particularly the NYT, but I think they hit it on the proverbial head today regarding the filibuster.

Don't allow the GOP Politburro to change this old practice for their own selfish, immediate gains. We can all look back at points in history where we can say "damn them for blocking such a good thing!"-- and that's the point. Both sides, particularly the "out-party," have used the filibuster as a last ditch effort to check the majority party. We need this.

Please, send an e-mail, mail a letter, or make a phone call to your representatives in Congress. Tell them that should this even come up for a debate, that you oppose the GOP efforts to weaken (or entirely eliminate) the Senate Filibuster. You can look up your reps. at www.yourcongress.com/MemberSearch.asp.

-----
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/opinion/28sun1.html

November 28, 2004
EDITORIAL

Mr. Smith Goes Under the Gavel

Republicans control the White House, both houses of Congress and the Supreme Court. But the greater their power, the more they have focused on one of its few limits: the Senate filibuster. They are so concerned that Democrats will use the filibuster to block a few far-right judicial nominees that they are talking about ending one of the best-known checks and balances in government. Rather than rewrite the rules of government for a power grab, Republicans should look for ways to work with Democrats, who still represent nearly half the country.

The filibuster is almost as old as America itself. In 1790, senators filibustered to prevent Philadelphia from becoming the nation's permanent capital. In the centuries since, senators have used their privilege of unlimited debate to fend off actions supported by a bare majority of the Senate, but deeply offensive to the minority. In 1917, the Senate adopted a formal resolution allowing senators to delay actions unless debate is cut off by a supermajority, which Senate rules now set at 60 votes.

The filibuster has a storied place in the nation's history, and in popular culture. During the Great Depression, Huey Long of Louisiana fought off a bill he opposed by reciting recipes for fried oysters and potlikker. In the 1939 film "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," Jimmy Stewart triumphed over crooked politicians with a 23-hour filibuster. Filibusters were used, notoriously, by Southern senators to fight civil rights legislation, notably the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But even during those dark days, the Senate considered the right to filibuster sacrosanct.

Judicial nominees have never been immune from filibusters. When Republicans opposed President Lyndon Johnson's choice for chief justice, Abe Fortas, they led a successful filibuster to stop him from getting the job. More recently, in the Clinton era, Republicans spoke out loudly in defense of their right to filibuster against the confirmation of cabinet members and judicial nominees. Republican senators, including Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and Mike DeWine of Ohio, used a filibuster in 1995 to block President Bill Clinton's nominee for surgeon general. Bill Frist, now the Senate majority leader, supported a filibuster of a Clinton appeals court nomination. Senator Christopher Bond, a Missouri Republican, was quoted in The St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 1993 saying, "On important issues, I will not hesitate to join a filibuster."

Now that Republicans are doing the appointing, they see things very differently. Dr. Frist recently declared on "Fox News Sunday" that preventing votes on judicial nominees is "intolerable." Among the proposals Republicans are floating is the so-called nuclear option. According to Senate rules, changing the filibuster rule should require a two-thirds vote. But in the "nuclear option," Vice President Dick Cheney, as Senate president, would rule that filibusters of judicial nominees could be ended by a simple majority.

That would no doubt put the whole matter in the courts, an odd place for the Republicans - who are fighting this battle in the name of ending activist courts - to want it resolved. The Republicans would have a weak case. The Constitution expressly authorizes the Senate to "determine the rules of its proceedings." That is precisely what it has done.

If it came to a vote, it is not at all clear that the Republicans would be able to command even a majority for ending the filibuster. Senators appreciate their chamber's special role, and much of its uniqueness is based on traditions like the filibuster. Senator Charles Schumer, the New York Democrat who has led the opposition to extremist judicial nominees, says as many as 10 Republican senators could vote against changing the rule.

The Republicans see the filibuster as an annoying obstacle. But it is actually one of the checks and balances that the founders, who worried greatly about concentration of power, built into our system of government. It is also, right now, the main means by which the 48 percent of Americans who voted for John Kerry can influence federal policy. People who call themselves conservatives should find a way of achieving their goals without declaring war on one of the oldest traditions in American democracy.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM       
While "a few far-right judicial nominees" almost makes me want to write off the whole article right off the bat, on the topic itself I will say that any Republican bitching about Democrat filibusters would carry much more weight... some weight at all as a matter of fact... if the Dems had actually done more than just threaten to pull one. Republicans have yet to press any of these issues they feel are so important, dropping any motions to which the Dems object enough to cause them to mention a filibuster.

Show me 2 years of legislative gridlock due to week long Democrat filibusters and I'll... well, to be honest, I'd probably be happy with that were it to happen. I know that would make me respect the DNC a bit more.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM       
[quote="Preechr"]While "a few far-right judicial nominees" almost makes me want to write off the whole article right off the bat,[/i]

I don't think it's incorrect to say that the GOP wants to put far-right, ACTIVIST (AHH! Word of the day! AHH!) judges on the bench who will interpret marriage and abortion from their perspective.

After all, you know it's bullshit when Bush (or either side, for that matter) says that he wants to appoint "litmus free" judges. He wants judges that will "judge" from his shared perspective--period.

If a President truly wanted to appoint, uh, "non-activist" judges who will only use the Constitution as their blue print, then they'd only appoint Libertarians to the bench, right?

Anyway, this is off topic. Back to the point-- fuck the Republicans.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:55 PM       
YEAH!!! BURN 'EM!!!

LET'S FORM A MOB!!!

*lights pitchfork*

"Far-right" in that context is just useless language. While it's assumed that a "fair" judge appointed under a Republican would be "fair from a Republican standpoint," I don't recall any of those proposed appointees seeming all that "far-right." Farther to the right than your average NYT editor, Yes. As is your average Kennedy. It's hardly balanced journalism, in my view, to not qualify that reference, even in an editorial.

But of course that's the general, underlying problem here, isn't it? We now live in a world where fair means biased favorably toward my interests and journalism means lies of which I approve. Greedy suddenly means interested in keeping that which is mine and a liberal principle is generally observed to be anything that forces someone else to accept whatever they regard as offensive.

I guess it all makes sense in a time when conservatives are the party of global political change, human rights and profligate entitlement spending and an America that fights global terror by causing it.

Do what?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:12 AM       
So, do the R's want this philibuster rule change to be a real rule change, or would it be recinded if R's were no longer in power and, I don't know, maybe the D's only wanted to keep the republican scribed no philibuster rule for say, partisan reasons?

I hate to bring it up, I mean, I know Republican rule changes are really really real no matter which side they support on account of them being for the country, not just their party, but I never really noticed the R's being anti phillibuister when they were the minority.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 02:01 PM       
Filibuster.

Fiscal.

Give that poor letter F its due recognition.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM       
phuck that.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM       
What a phink.