Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM        Barack Obama
How do we all feel about this guy? There's been talk about him running in 2008 and a lot of people want to him to.

I would really like to see him run for President someday, but I also think that 2008 is too early. While I understand striking the iron while it's hot, I also think he needs more experience. If he did run in 2008, though, I would probably vote for him.

How about the rest of you?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM       
Its too early. And his party isn't helping.

In 2012 or 2016, maybe, if the Democrats do some serious strategizing to get themselves in order.

Right now, even if he were experienced enough, he doesn't have enough support. The Dems are in too much dissaray to burn out a supposed superstar on the clusterfuck that will the be 2008 election.

Our next president will be a placeholder like Bush or Gore were supposed to be. Let the Dems gain some credibility and respect back and then they can try their all-stars.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM       
No, he must run now! If he waits any longer, people will keep figuring out what he stands for/against. Having an actual defined platform isn't going to work with him like this motivational speaker for the everyman schtick has been.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM       
I was of the impression that you didn't need any serious resume at all to get elected President. Or are you saying as a nation we've gotten beyond that?
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM       
I'm right there with Modular. He's my favorite democrat right now, though I'll admit I'm not sure exactly where he stands on everything. He just seems like the best overall person out of all the possible candidates (not too hard when yer up against Hilary and Lieberman...) If he runs, good. If not, more experience could only be good for him.

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM       
Lieberman? What the hell are you talking about?

Obama is the most popular Democrat in the country, period. He would draw the base out without even blinking, which whould allow him to work the independents and the moderates almost his entire campaign.

abc, I get your point, however that's a double-edged sword. Unfortunately it would seem the more "expereince" you get in the U.S. Senate, the more you're damning yourself. Ask John Kerry and Joe Lieberman. You can ask John McCain in a year or so. In the senate, you vote for so many damn things, so many bills with silly rifers and hidden pork, it's nearly impossible to serve in the senate and not be easily smeared. Ironically, this may be the best time for Obama to run.

Politcal stars can also burn out pretty quickly. Believe it or not, there was a time when Dan Quayle was considered a bright star in the GOP. He went to the White House too soon, became a punch line, and burned out. Obama runs the same risk.

We also nee to ask a more basic question-- will America elect a black president? Look at harold Ford. He ran as white as he could, and still he was racially smeared...and it worked!

Another inexperienced, atractive, and well spoken senator also ran for president once, and he became a pretty popular president. It may be shallow, but we aren't beyond identity politics in this country.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM       
Thanks for the heads up. I had just figured Lieb was running again, like always . Now I know otherwise.

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM       
I think he might be Jimmy Carter 2.0.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:03 PM       
I think everybody's hoping for something more along the lines of Clinton 1.01

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:27 AM       
Really? I think people are hoping he's Kennedy meets MLK.... with a hint of Colin Powell for coloring. I think it's pretty likely they got the formula at the lab wrong , and the Carter comparison is pretty right on. Post Presidency Carter, to be exact.
Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM       
You're just the MAN, and I mean that in the bad way.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM       
Post presidency Carter would be a better president than presidency Carter.
Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM       
Quote:
Look at harold Ford. He ran as white as he could, and still he was racially smeared...and it worked!
You don't think the mountain of corruption in his family history and the fact that he didn't really run a great campaign contributed any?

Quote:
Another inexperienced, atractive, and well spoken senator also ran for president once, and he became a pretty popular president.
If you are refering to who I think you are, it didn't work out too well for him. And did he really prove himself that great a president?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM       
That's a totally different debate. I think the question here is about viability.

I'd like him to run if for no other reason than that he speaks well. I think oration should be a requirement for the Presidency and I think they should write their own damn speeches. America ends up having to listen to a President quite frequently for at least four years. I want a good public speaker.

Just so it's clear, that's not my main requirement. It's not even the #1 priority. But it's in the mix.
Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
You don't think the mountain of corruption in his family history and the fact that he didn't really run a great campaign contributed any?
It played a part, but the bottom line is that the GOP (and "not really" the Corker campaign, wink wink) continued to run a racist spot in certain markets....hmm, which ones? Memphis? No.

And i'm not sure about your bad campaign comment. It was a pretty good race for what would've been the first black senator since Reconstruction. His ground team hit their base pretty hard, and got a record number of them to vote absentee in order to A. Avoid any nonsense at the polls and B. get a count on where they were by Election Day. The Ford people thought they were in a pretty good spot, and didn't believe the last minute polls coming out. He should've campaigned harder in the western end of the state, and focused less on the 'burbs. Do you really think a black man with a similar resume and no family name in Tennessee would've done better than Ford?

Once again, I don't know that this country is quite ready to elect a black president.

Quote:
If you are refering to who I think you are, it didn't work out too well for him. And did he really prove himself that great a president?
Right, if a president gets killed on the job then clearly they ran a bad campaign....?

Let's say it....JFK! No, he didn't govern according to the hype he gets today, and people often forget just how damn close his race with Nixon was (thanks Chicago!). But that doesn't mean Obama doesn't fit the type to run well and win a national race, despite lacking a lot of experience.
Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM       
I wasn't refering to his campaign. I'm talking about the job he did when was actually president.
Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM       
Yeah, but like Max said, that is sort of a different discussion.
=======

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM       
Speaking of different discussions...

Can you please explain to me how that ad was racist? Well, you said "racial..." I'd still question that. I wonder how many extra voters turned up just at the inference that Ford might be into white chicks.

The casual if not downright reckless ways in which we invoke and provoke the racial tension pandemic in this country is the root cause of why America's not yet ready for a Black President. So soon after Kramer's flip out and the Police messes in NY and Atlanta, I'm just about fed up with hearing about race issues altogether.

Racism won't be behind us until it's no longer the first thing to pop into a black person's head whenever things don't go his or her way. I'm not sure there's anything more white folks could possibly do to make that happen. Unfortunately, all of MLKjr's work was left in the hands of those with the same "War on _____" mentality that has assured our country will forever remain picking at the scab.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM       
Barack Obama is no more qualified to be Chief EXECUTIVE than is Max Burbank. He's a gimmick. Would you hire him to run the place where you work just because he's an effective speaker? Just because doing so would prove your color-blindness?

Obama either proves that the Democrats are out of touch beyond recovery or that there truly is nobody left in that party that is qualified to seek high office.

Mocker
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM       
Preechr, maybe you should ask a black man about the inference behind having a blonde, white, and btw seemingly unclothed (thanks to the camera angle) woman in that spot? Why did they keep running it in the western end of the state? Do the folks in Memphis not care about Ford going to a Super Bowl party (something a LOT of members of Congress do).

Obama is a gimmick? Aren't you the guy holding out for just about any Republican governor to run for president??

Oh, I forgot. You have "no dog in this fight," or something.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM       
I assume you are saying that Obama would be an AWESOME president.
=======

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Preechr, maybe you should ask a black man about the inference behind having a blonde, white, and btw seemingly unclothed (thanks to the camera angle) woman in that spot?
So ANY black man is the final arbiter concerning what is racist and what is not? I htink that's about where the country is at this point, but I just want to hear you say you think that's the way it should be.

Quote:
Why did they keep running it in the western end of the state? Do the folks in Memphis not care about Ford going to a Super Bowl party (something a LOT of members of Congress do).
You're the campaign wizkid. Think it might have something to do with studies that show what advertising works best where? If pictures of jelly doughnuts make certain inbred hicks think of a Mexican raping their sister, are jelly doughnuts to blame? I asked you what was specifically racist about that ad, and you say ask a black guy. Does that mean you don't know?

Quote:
Obama is a gimmick? Aren't you the guy holding out for just about any Republican governor to run for president??
"Holding out?" I hope you haven't forgotten that I never vote Republican, Kevvy. There's a big difference between guessing what will happen and hoping for something.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot. You have "no dog in this fight," or something.
There you go. Ignoring your sarcasm, why is it so hard for you to understand the difference between the experience of being a governor (ANY governor) and that of a freshman legislator and how that experience relates to the Chief Executive office of the nation?

Since our last discussion it seems you have put a bit more thought into why smart parties rarely run congressmen or Senators. tell me what else you've learned...

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM       
I think the racism in the "Call me" add stems from intent. I don't think a white woman coming on to a black man is inherently racist. I think the ads designers had only ne intent, though, and that is to play on fears of misegenation. If that's the right word.

I could be wrong, maybe they meant the ad to have some completely different impact. I think I'm right, though.
Mocker

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM       
I'm not sure America is ready to elect a man with Hussein as his middle name.
=======

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I think the racism in the "Call me" add stems from intent. I don't think a white woman coming on to a black man is inherently racist. I think the ads designers had only ne intent, though, and that is to play on fears of misegenation. If that's the right word.

I could be wrong, maybe they meant the ad to have some completely different impact. I think I'm right, though.
I don't think that's the right word either. I think you were looking for the word "Oreo."

I think the ad could also be meant to portray him as a playboy. That's a hell of a lot worse a thing to be in Tennessee than a black guy that gets fawned over by white chicks. The South is not near as provincial (maybe "plantational?") as you Yankees think it is. Racism is far more institutionalized and dangerous up East than it is down here.

If they wanted a racist ad that would have done damage in the sticks, they could have just as easily had a bunch of inner-city street-thugs giving him a shout-out, bouncing on their 22s and hoisting their forties in salute to their brother while grinning through their gold-plated grilles.

Do you people REALLY think there are THAT many hicks in the state of Tennessee that voted against Harold Ford for fear of their daughters? Who the fuck's being racist here?