Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM        If the presidential election had been this year.....
.....perhaps it would be President Kerry.

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/expor...705/news2.html

Who’d win Nov. 2005 election? Maybe Kerry
By Roxana Tiron

President Bush’s poor poll numbers have some people wondering how he would have fared if the November 2004 election were held this year instead.

And it would not be surprising if Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) thought he would have a good shot at winning the White House in just such a hypothetical race.

But when asked about it in a brief interview, Kerry did not want to give a confident prediction.

“I do not do hypotheticals and speculations,” he told The Hill, pointing instead to the wisdom of recent polls.

“I do know that there were polls on television the last few days that answered that question. I think Bill O’Reilly had a poll, CNN had a poll that showed that I would have won, but it is not for me to be making any judgments about that. I am moving on to the future.”

Is that a hint? Many people believe Kerry is already running for the 2008 Democratic nomination, although he is not a declared candidate.

CBS and Fox News, in fact, conducted the recent polls. Even though the results favor Kerry, the two polls do not show that, if the election were held today, he would decisively win a hypothetical contest against Bush.

Released Nov. 7, the CBS poll found the results might be different from those of a year ago if the presidential election were held today.

Forty-one percent of the likely voters polled said that they would have voted for Kerry, while 36 percent said they would have voted for Bush. However, 13 percent said that they would have voted for someone else and 6 percent responded that they would not have voted at all.

The Fox poll indicates that 6 percent of the people who say they voted for Bush last year would vote for Kerry today.

In the past few months, the Bush administration has had to fend off allegations of national-security leaks, attacks on the justification for the Iraq war and questions about clandestine military detention centers, and Kerry has been trying to capitalize on the momentum.

During the 2004 elections, Kerry was haunted by the perception that he would not take a clear stand for or against the war in Iraq. Last Thursday, Kerry gave a floor speech in support of an action plan in Iraq, which he introduced last month. Called the Strategy for Success in Iraq Act, the plan would bring home 20,000 troops after the Iraqi elections. It also demands benchmarks for success.

Democratic leaders attempted to attach a similar withdrawal-related amendment calling on the White House to supply estimated dates of when it would bring the troops home and to provide quarterly reports to Congress and the public on progress in Iraq. That amendment failed, but the Senate adopted a GOP version that requires reports on the progress in Iraq and reflects growing bipartisan unease with the White House’s Iraqi policy. Kerry voted against the GOP amendment.

While the Senate is split along party lines when it comes to imposing a timetable for withdrawing the troops from Iraq, the revelation that the United States has employed clandestine detention centers in Eastern Europe to interrogate people believed to be terrorists likely played a role in the Senate’s overwhelming support last week for one of Kerry’s amendments to the 2006 defense authorization bill. Its success marked a major bipartisan victory for the defeated Democratic nominee for president.

Kerry introduced an amendment yesterday that would impose a level of accountability on the intelligence community for operating the secret detainee prisons overseas. The Senate voted 82-9 in favor of the amendment, which calls on both the secretary of defense and the national intelligence director to provide classified information to the Senate Armed Services Committee on all the overseas locations for the detention facilities.

Presidential hopefuls Joseph Biden (D-Del.) and Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) voted in favor of the amendment, as did McCain.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM       
If 2008 is Kerry vs. McCain, I'll be voting GOP. Just sayin.

That would be a weird as heck race though. I don't think it'll happen.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM       
Quote:
Its funny but you know how a lot of people say they don't vote because it doesn't matter who wins anyway? I'd have to say after 5 years of Bush those people might be rethinking their theories.
I think the 2004 election already disproved that theory. The turnout will be smaller in 2008.

As for Kerry running-- Kerry doesn't understand that he was ABB last year. There was nothing about john kerry that compelled people to vote for him, other than the fact that he wasn't George Bush.

With that being said, if it were to be Kerry vs. McCain (which is unlikely), I'd vote for Kerry again.
Mocker
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM       
Okay, the above post was from me, not GAsux. His comment is now gone.

What's happening?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:46 PM       
I'm thinkin you hit "edit" instead of quote, noob moderator.
Mocker
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM       
I should ban myself.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM       
Damn you Kevin! Damn you trying to use me as your mouthpiece!

Or something.
Mocker
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:57 PM       
Slightly related, regarding how each side has becmoe a bit more vocal with their message:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/...raq/index.html

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Warning that other global threats "cannot be ignored," Rep. John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, a leading adviser on defense issues, called Thursday for the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.

"U.S. and coalition troops have done all they can in Iraq," the senior lawmaker said. "It's time for a change in direction."

He said he believes all the forces could be redeployed over a six-month period.

Murtha, a former Marine Corps colonel and veteran of the Vietnam war, is the first senior lawmaker to call for an immediate withdrawal. Other critics of the war have asked President Bush to set up a timetable for withdrawal."
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM       
It's funny how this same article pops up every year after a major election. Change the names around and replace some keywords with others, and this was originally an article about George McGovern or something.

Kev, this is a good example of what I meant about polling being used by the pollees for their own purposes. Respondents are expressing their displeasure with events generally by "voting" against whomever the poll was about rather than genuinely answering the questions.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM       
And your response is a fine example of how "New Media" folks on the Right seem to think that if you kill the messenger it kills the message. :/

Fox took one of the polls. What agenda mightthat "pollee" have?

Furthermore, I'm certain somebody somewhere is taking polls like this all of the time, it's just a question of when news outlets (including Fox) would like to report on it and make it a story. What better time than when the president has all-time low approval numbers...?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM       
"pollee" = respondent to the poll... at least that's what I meant it to mean.

"Respondents are expressing their displeasure with events generally by "voting" against whomever the poll was about rather than genuinely answering the questions."

I wasn't saying that anyone was specifically warping the poll process, just that PEOPLE have begun responding to polls in a more complicated fashion than simply answering questions honestly. We have to ask "What do these responses MEAN?" rather than just assuming direct causation.

You didn't have to get all pissy...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM       
I'm sorry.

i think you are reading too deep into what the polls mean. yes, they are a reflection of a greater dis-satisfaction with the administration. But I think you give far too much credit to the "pollees" if you think these polls are their way of saying "well this is what the president darn well better fix if he wants my support."

people don't give politicians that kind of credit. They chew them up and spit them out (often with good reason). If somebody said "yeah, I would probably have voted for Kerry in retrospect," than they probably mean it.

Of course this is rather arbitrary. I think it's interesting where publc sentiment has gone in a year. I actually believe that had the election been this November, yeah Kerry may have won, but the overall turnout would be smaller. It's just interesting what a crappy year can do to people.