Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:30 PM        More 'compassionate conservatism'
Jesus.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/04/042204MichMed.htm

Michigan Preparing To Let Doctors Refuse To Treat Gays
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: April 21, 2004 8:14 p.m. ET

(Lansing, Michigan) Doctors or other health care providers could not be disciplined or sued if they refuse to treat gay patients under legislation passed Wednesday by the Michigan House.

The bill allows health care workers to refuse service to anyone on moral, ethical or religious grounds.

The Republican dominated House passed the measure as dozens of Catholics looked on from the gallery. The Michigan Catholic Conference, which pushed for the bills, hosted a legislative day for Catholics on Wednesday at the state Capitol.

The bills now go the Senate, which also is controlled by Republicans.

The Conscientious Objector Policy Act would allow health care providers to assert their objection within 24 hours of when they receive notice of a patient or procedure with which they don't agree. However, it would prohibit emergency treatment to be refused.

Three other three bills that could affect LGBT health care were also passed by the House Wednesday which would exempt a health insurer or health facility from providing or covering a health care procedure that violated ethical, moral or religious principles reflected in their bylaws or mission statement.

Opponents of the bills said they're worried they would allow providers to refuse service for any reason. For example, they said an emergency medical technicians could refuse to answer a call from the residence of gay couple because they don't approve of homosexuality.

Rep. Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) the first openly gay legislator in Michigan, pointed out that while the legislation prohibits racial discrimination by health care providers, it doesn't ban discrimination based on a person's sexual orientation.

"Are you telling me that a health care provider can deny me medical treatment because of my sexual orientation? I hope not," he said.

"I think it's a terrible slippery slope upon which we embark," said Rep. Jack Minore (D-Flint) before voting against the bill.

Paul A. Long, vice president for public policy for the Michigan Catholic Conference, said the bills promote the constitutional right to religious freedom.

"Individual and institutional health care providers can and should maintain their mission and their services without compromising faith-based teaching," he said in a written statement.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM       
And the word of the day kids is....

"Fascism"
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM       
Something tells me the Log Cabin Republicans won't be around for much longer.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM       
Yee-haw, is it homo season yet? *grabs rifle*

I would like the Republican Party if they hadn't picked up all this Dark Ages moralistic bullshit.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:48 PM       
remember, Christianity is all about love.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM       
No Shit, this just shows how all these religous nuts are trully the anti-christ.

Jesus preached about loving your enemy. But nooo, This man is an abomination, we can't give him medical treatment!