Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:56 PM        PROTOCLOWN :(
I just saw the last episode of Farscape.

Why couldn't they have just ended it on a high note? Besides, even if the show would get (have gotten?) continued, how would they write their way out of THAT?
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:34 PM       
I like that half naked slave girl, that's enough to watch the show for me
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:37 PM       
I thought this thread said PORTOCLOWN , and i was going to make a funny weiner joke.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:18 AM       
I have yet to see the last two episodes of the series, as they haven't aired in the US yet and I am determined not to download them. I want to wait and see them at the same time as everyone else.

I don't know how closely you followed the show FatSatan, but the writers always amazed me with their ability to seemingly write themselves into a corner and then miraculously find a way out of it. And not via some crappy deus ex machina type of thing either.

Every single season finale for that show has ended on a horrible cliffhanger that I had NO idea how they would get past...particularly the season two one (look for an episode called "Die Me, Dichotomy" if you haven't seen that one yet). I have every bit of faith that whatever happened, the writers would have found an interesting way past it and into Season 5. And who knows, it COULD still happen if it's picked up by another network.

I always kind of had the feeling that Farscape would end on something of a bittersweet note at the very least, if they'd had the chance to end the show on their own terms. That show was never one to pull any punches, and John and Aeryn's relationship was fraught with difficulties every step of the way. They've made it pretty clear now that Crichton will never be the same and he can never go back home and live a normal life again. And that's pretty fucking sad when you think about it.

I also find no small bit of irony in the fact that the last episode just happens to be called "Bad Timing".

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 09:43 AM       
Ah, I hope then I didn't spoil the end of the last season for you, but it looks like you were expecting something of the like.

I'll say this much, I don't believe the last episode was made with the intent to end the series with it, or the knowledge that the show wouldn't get continued (yet).

I started following Farscape on British television, fell out of it for a while, then got back into it for the last season or so. Luckily, Dutch television later picked up the show from day one, and I hope they'll air all the episodes.

A lot of the show's "goals" have been fullfilled now. Crichton and Aeryn are together and Crichton's been to Earth. And the 'new goals' are piled up pretty high - both the Scarrans and Peacekeepers now know of Crichton's knowledge and value, plus Scorpius isn't going to give up until he's dead. Even though the ending of the series is a rather dramatic, it doesn't appear to me to be as the kind of ending the creators would give the show as a whole. Anyway, I can't elaborate on that without ruining it, so I'll hold off that discussion till the last episode has aired in the US as well.

I'm not one to organize protests or make more effort than a few e-mails or letters to stop a show from cancelling, but damn, I'd hate to see this one go without an ending more to my satisfaction. I don't know, even for less conventional fiction series like Farscape, I need a bit of "and they lived happily ever after".
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM       
Warning! spoilers ahead Proto! look out!!!!!!

Chrichton and Aeryn were shot by some weird alien who could turn his head inside out, and they were turned into dust. literally, they fell apart. and I don't even think writers of any kind can make that work out OK, unless the aliens have some technology of reversing that thing. and even if they could, they'd propably need all of the particles, and a lot of them fell into the ocean.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:27 PM       
I just saw the episode myself. I still don't quite know what to think. On one hand, I'm excited to have finally seen it, but far outweighing that is my sadness that this show I have absolutely fallen in love with appears to be over. Along with that are disbelief and hope that it will continue on some other network.

I did notice that the alien (hard to understand though he was) said something about "neutralizing them for capitivity". My theory is that they were contained in that strange bubble and then teleported somewhere. David Kemper is notorious for making things seem TERRIBLY fucked up and then managing to turn things on their end and come out of it. Recall from Season Two when Crichton was turned into a statue that was then shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces.

I was VERY happy to see John and Aeryn's situation get resolved, that was a long time coming. I am annoyed however by the fact that Chiana's (a favorite character of mine) newfound blindness will now go unresolved. There is also the fact that another favorite character of mine, Stark, has finally returned as I have hoped for the longest time...and to know that he WOULD have been around for Season Five if it had happened really sucks.

On one hand I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't even bother to remove the "TO BE CONTINUED" at the very end, but in retrospect, I'm glad they left that, so there can be NO illusions that that was the intended series end, despite what Sci-fi may have people believe. Also, it seems kind of hopeful to me. When I saw that on the screen, I could actually believe that it WILL be continued, somehow, somewhere.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:15 PM       
it might be brought back years from now a la transformers armada....
jailbaitmonger is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:51 PM       
Hope it doesn't suck as much as Armada.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:30 AM       
I think I heard the alien say something about 'analysis' too* - I have the episode on tape, I'll watch it and listen to it again.

My main problem with this, would it have been a true intended ending to the series, was actually that it wasn't dramatic enough. The alien comes out of nowhere, his alignment doesn't seem entirely clear, and he's gone again. If the creators of Farscape meant to end the series with John and Aeryn dying at the height of happiness, then I would've wanted the killer to be someone prominent, like Scorpius or the Scarran leader.

And yet, there's something to be said for this. Earth is safe, John and Aeryn are back together, things are perfect (save for Chiana's blindness, which I think would be solved a few episodes into a new season, and the fact that John is now the most wanted person in the galaxy), and POW! how do you like dem apples? I had the thought of teleportation myself, though. My guess is that a continued season would have the crew of Moya analyzing the debris left on the boat, and speculating on what really happened.

I actually thought the show had seen its last episode in the US months ago, thus making its continuance pretty much beyond hope. Still, these seem to be the times of sci-fi shows getting killed off pretty fast.

*a thing that's bothered me about Farscape was that dialogue can sometimes be really hard to understand for me. From loud explosions and shouting, it can go into whispering and mumbling - especially by Ben Browder - which is GREAT for moodsetting, but tough on someone whose native language isn't English. That sometimes causes me to miss large parts of conversations. Luckily, on Dutch TV there's subtitles on it, but on British TV it was an annoyance. I would've liked to see them use sound technology to boost the softer conversations up to the same level as the rest of the sounds.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:30 PM       
It was meant to confuse you foreigners. (
Paul138 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:37 PM       
I hope I don't jinx anything, but I have a feeling a time machine will come into play.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:17 PM       
I have a feeling that the real ending (which will be included on a DVD release) will be an added scene where Crichton and Aeryn suddenly reassemble themselves, give the finger to the camera, and tell Bonnie Hammer to shove Mars up her moss covered rectum.

Or not.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM       

No, I think the crew of Moya will throw all of the little bits from the boat into a big gene-splicing machine, which extorts a horrible Aeryn/Crichton hybrid that starts an intergalactic emo band.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:24 PM       
You're right, FatSatan, he said something about "analysis", not capture. I caught that the second time I watched the episode.

I can certainly imagine how difficult some of the more mumbly bits are to understand since English isn't your first language. Hell, sometimes I have trouble with the Australian accents and don't catch everything the first time myself.

There is simply no way that John and Aeryn can be dead though, given that they planned for a fifth season, and you really don't want to kill your two main actors off before the show is over. I don't know HOW they would have gotten out of that, but they would have found a way.

I agree that if this is to be the true ending now, it sucks that it does lose some of its drama simply from having an attack come straight out of left field with no apparent rhyme or reason.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 11:34 PM       
Why don' you start an online petition to get it back on. I watched it from the middle, because Protoclown said it was good. It was a pretty decent show and I would like some more episodes if they can did themselves out of that ditch of an ending.
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:55 AM       
BECAUSE ONLINE PETITIONS ALWAYS ALWAYS WORK

HOW EFFECTIVE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET BETTER DO AS THEY SAY
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
The Goddamned Batman
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:14 AM       
Because there's already a massive campaign underway to save the show, and we're doing a hell of a lot more than a simple and ineffective internet petition.

www.watchfarscape.com

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:16 PM       
I'd imagine anyone who tries to get something done through an Internet petition will just get slapped and then laughed at as people relieve themselves on his unconscious body.