Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:53 PM        US builds 'enduring' Bases in Iraq
14 `enduring bases' set in Iraq
Chicago Tribune
Tue Mar 23, 9:40 AM ET

By Christine Spolar Tribune foreign correspondent

From the ashes of abandoned Iraqi army bases, U.S. military engineers are overseeing the building of an enhanced system of American bases designed to last for years.

Last year, as troops poured over the Kuwait border to invade Iraq , the U.S. military set up at least 120 forward operating bases. Then came hundreds of expeditionary and temporary bases that were to last between six months and a year for tactical operations while providing soldiers with such comforts as e-mail and Internet access.

Now U.S. engineers are focusing on constructing 14 "enduring bases," long-term encampments for the thousands of American troops expected to serve in Iraq for at least two years. The bases also would be key outposts for Bush administration policy advisers.

As the U.S. scales back its military presence in Saudi Arabia, Iraq provides an option for an administration eager to maintain a robust military presence in the Middle East and intent on a muscular approach to seeding democracy in the region. The number of U.S. military personnel in Iraq, between 105,000 and 110,000, is expected to remain unchanged through 2006, according to military planners.

Well... But... suppose, now, just suppose, that when we hand power over to Iraq in June that they don't want us there? I mean, if not right away, suppose they take the time to have a democratically elected government (assuming they don't immediately topple into civil war, which is a lot of assuming) and predicably, te Shia majority don't want us there?

I'm sure, since democracy in Iraq has been our goal all along, we won't have any problem packing up our bags, chalking up the 14 permanent bases to a nice Halliburton gift and going home.