Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I'm surprised only two people here, me and Kulturkampf, are against gay adoption, because any opinion poll I've seen shows that most people are against it.
I have mixed feelings on it. I was mostly playing Devil's advocate on the matter.

I just think arguing against it on the grounds of what is and isn't supposedly normal or natural is a bad way to go about it.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM       
I think it's premature to make any assumptions about gay adoption, negative or positive, since it hasn't really been done. Probably the only way we're going to reach any kind of conclusive argument for either side is for some people to actually do it in one of those grand social experiments.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:32 PM       
That study i posted was supposedly done on both adopted children and biological children.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM       
Somehow I managed to miss that. Still, I don't think that's enough evidence to make a conclusion of any kind.

Edit: What I'd like to know is what would happen if the evidence showed that adoptive children of gay parents turn out to be gay themselves at a greater rate than those of heterosexual parents. There would be the obvious opposition from anti-homosexual groups, but what about everybody else? It would boil down to whether people ultimately decide if a higher rate of homosexuality is essentially a negative thing.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM       
The study studied that as well. I also agree that the study isn't enough on it's own, and it should still be studied. I also believe the study itself mentions that on multiple occasions.

According to the study, though, children of gay parents(they mostly did lesbians) were "just as Straight" as the children of heterosexual parents. Same with gender-roles and nearly everything else. It basically said every point against it was bullshit and ineffectual.
Pharaoh is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix

As for hysterics, I refer you to my previous remark, Learn to recognize sarcasm and hyperbole or get the fuck off this site, cunt. Please let me know if you are having difficulty with any of those words.
I can recognize hyperbollocks, your posts are full of it.
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:22 PM       
Hyperbollocks isn't even a word.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM       
Why are Ziggy and others attacking Pharaoh as if he was saying stuff like the first guy against gays. He has a different view on gay adoption. So what? I havn't seen him act like the bigot you people call him. Some people on this board act as if he is rounding up gays and putting them in camps to be killed or as if he even suggested something as extreme. He seems to be getting more insults thrown at him than the guy who was making threads about the 'myths' of the holocaust.

In my opinion gays are regular people. I have more than one gay person in my conservative Roman Catholic family. I think they should have the same rights and benefits of a married couple. I don't think people who are opposed to gay adoption are bigots or afriad of gays. Its a differeing opinion. Its already been said we know neither any positive or negative effects of having two gay parents. I think the whole drug connection to gays is a pretty dumb way to says gay shouldn't adopt. I smoke marijuana everyday and I'm straight and I'm sure when I'm older I will still be fit to be a parent of an adopted child or one of my own. In the case of harder drugs I'm pretty sure whoever is sticking the herion needle in their arms, they aren't the best parents. People also seem equate the current situation of gays with the slavery of blacks and the rights of woman. Is it really fair to make that comparison? Gays are not being subjected to anything remotely similar to that of the slaves and they seem to have equal rights in all areas except marriage and adoption. I'm a stoner and my people weather gay or straight are being thrown in jail for smoking a plant. Thats a much bigger outrage to me than having to make a compromise and calling my marriage(if i was a homosexual) a 'partnership' or 'union' with the same benefits.

I do think New York state money being used for a school for gays(apparently some feel they need their own environment because of harassment) is ridiculous. I'm sure their are tons of miniority groups that are harassed just as much as gays in NY.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM       
I'm pretty sure the plural of hyperbole is hyperbole.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
While I agree that the flag is taking PC too far, you failed to respond to his point of EQUAL rights. What is so wrong about asking to be treated like your fellow man? Are they not people? Do they not deserve the same respect for life and self worth that anyone else does? Or is your rightist bigoted self too narrow minded to see that they bleed the same as you?

Seriously, you need to take a long hard look at what you and your cuntery stand for. You stand for hatred and inequality, which is just as bad as being too PC. Find the middle ground. Allow gay marriage, but you can still have a christmas tree. It is a pretty sad state of affairs when your opinions can be toppled by a bumper sticker that says:

"Against gay marriage? Don't have one."
I'm not against gay marriage, I'm just against gay adoption and politically correct madness.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:35 PM       
Gay adoption falls under the equal rights argument, too. And as for being too PC, that is true. It can happen, but I don't think that recognizing that they are people and have just as much a desire for family as anyone else is too much to ask. Why can't gay people have families? Children are no worse or better off than children of straight couples, and that would be the only real reason to be against it.
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM       
"Its already been said we know neither any positive or negative effects of having two gay parents."

There was a study posted, hello!

"I think the whole drug connection to gays is a pretty dumb way to says gay shouldn't adopt. I smoke marijuana everyday and I'm straight and I'm sure when I'm older I will still be fit to be a parent of an adopted child or one of my own."

I agree the second part was stupid but thanks for the information.

"In the case of harder drugs I'm pretty sure whoever is sticking the herion needle in their arms, they aren't the best parents."

You can smoke heroin, or in the case of black tar, you can just put it in a cut on your hand.

"People also seem equate the current situation of gays with the slavery of blacks and the rights of woman. Is it really fair to make that comparison?"

Yes, because sociologically it is the same movement. Equal rights for all mankind or some such shit. Sure, now a days gays may not be getting shafted(that was mostly in the early 1900's) but they still have a lot of rights that are being revoked. Just like how women still bitch that they don't get the same amount of pay as a man does. Just because the issues don't seem to be as large doesn't mean they aren't the same nor deserve equal merit.
Gay marriage issues are stupid, in my opinion. I always thought marriage laws should be independant to the church. So one church hates gays, goto another who doesn't. I think the entire idea of forcing a religion to allow them to marry two people they don't want to marry is ridiculous, however, i think it's just as ridiculous that they can say ALL church's must act in the following manner. Not all church's are the same, and treating them that way is more hypocritical than anything else; you then force your religion on other religions.
Marriage laws now a days are ridiculous anyway, so fuck it. If marriage laws were actually in accordance with the bible, then maybe I'd go for it. However, considering there's this little thing now a days called DIVORCE which as far as I know isn't in the bible I'd say anybody who demands their church's rights be upheld in a political viewpoint deserves to have their opinions ignored. In fact, church's are bullshit now a days anyway. Fuck them.

"Gays are not being subjected to anything remotely similar to that of the slaves and they seem to have equal rights in all areas except marriage and adoption."

You must have missed the part about the early 1900's where they would be arrested or sent to a mental institution for being gay. Then they would castrate, amputate, electricute and do various other things to try to turn them ungay. So yes, gays were treated bad. Shut up if you don't know.

"I'm a stoner and my people weather gay or straight are being thrown in jail for smoking a plant."

Who cares, to you it's a big outrage but to someone who wants to get married and can't that's an 'even greater outrage', but thanks for interjecting your personal opinion on the matter.

P.S move to california where they have a cannibus club, all you have to do is pay 100 dollars(or 150, i thought they changed it though) and you can smoke pot legally(you can also grow it). You can also goto a cannibus club and buy pot for a fairly reasonable price. Lots of states have cannibus clubs now a days, I'm pretty sure the entire west coast does

I also agree with the last thing you said.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708
Why are Ziggy and others attacking Pharaoh as if he was saying stuff like the first guy against gays.
Because posting in the poli/sci/nerd forum is NO EXCUSE for a waiver of the Standard McClain Disclaimer, and I don't give a fuck if it was abolished before you even knew of i-mockery, but some things just are historically important, better, and this only proves everything was better back before you noobs came along and ruined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
People also seem equate the current situation of gays with the slavery of blacks and the rights of woman. Is it really fair to make that comparison? Gays are not being subjected to anything remotely similar to that of the slaves and they seem to have equal rights in all areas except marriage and adoption.
To me, it's still about civil rights and discrimination based on what is, most evidence suggests, primarily a genetic physical characteristic. I could make some remark about the rights of blacks immediately after the Emancipation Proclaimation, but I think even today Western society still has a long way to go in minimizing prejudice and discrimination, so that's beside the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
I do think New York state money being used for a school for gays(apparently some feel they need their own environment because of harassment) is ridiculous.
WTF? I have not heard of this. A public school for gays only? That's stupid.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Gay adoption falls under the equal rights argument, too. And as for being too PC, that is true. It can happen, but I don't think that recognizing that they are people and have just as much a desire for family as anyone else is too much to ask. Why can't gay people have families? Children are no worse or better off than children of straight couples, and that would be the only real reason to be against it.
'Why can't gay people have families?'.
Didn't you do biology in school? You see, it takes both sexes to make a baby, and gay couples only consist of one sex, that's why.

What would you do if there were no children available for adoption, if abortion and contraception cut the numbers of unwanted children to zero? How would you make gays equal then?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM       
The slim possibility of adoption. As in, there are laws that would allow them to adopt if chilkren were in ample supply.
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:28 PM       
"What would you do if there were no children available for adoption, if abortion and contraception cut the numbers of unwanted children to zero? How would you make gays equal then?"

What would you do if gays could fly and had super magical powers that threatened to destroy the world?

Unfortunately this isn't a what if conversation. There ARE children who need homes. However, if there weren't I would hope that the children are going to the best possible homes, rather than some kind of (whateverthat P wordforequalityis) for gay adoption.

I mean, I honestly don't know what you expect from a question like that. What do you think gay people would do if there was no children for them? Go on a rampage? More than likely they'd probably start arranging for those people who have children for them(starts with a v, maybe a p?). Also, what about foreign countries? They'll always have extra babies.
Other than that I don't expect any actions to force them to be equal. They are gay, like you said, they can't have children with eachother(unless those crazy experiments with impregnating men go through). The only thing they could hope is that maybe they could use their sperm on a woman willing to have a baby for them. *shrug* I guess there's always options, no matter how stupid the "What if" game you want to play is.

Sorry, my brain doesn't work today. Too sick. Also, look. I didn't cuss at him even once. Hurr-fucking-ay.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM       
Quote:
'Why can't gay people have families?'.
Didn't you do biology in school? You see, it takes both sexes to make a baby, and gay couples only consist of one sex, that's why.

What would you do if there were no children available for adoption, if abortion and contraception cut the numbers of unwanted children to zero? How would you make gays equal then?
By your logic, then people who are biologically unable to have children shouldn't be able to adopt, simply because "nature didn't intend it to happen". Think about this stuff through before you post. I know that's hard for you to do, but for your own good, I reccomend one of two things to make yourself seem 100% smarter. Either:

A- Quit posting here. Your outdated logic and obvious dislike of anything "different" makes you an easy target for mockery, which, incidentally, this site is quite capable of.

*~*>OR<*~*

B- If you insist on being ignorant and relying solely on the "you're a liberal" defense, at least make it entertaining. There is a thread that can teach you exactly how to do this. Study the "Someone who talks in intelligent sentences" thread hard until you achieve misspeaking Nirvana, and then post away.

EDIT: Ok, that last one won't make you seem smarter, but at least we will get SOME entertainment value out of your 19th century logic.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM       
'I reccomend one of two things to make yourself seem 100% smarter.'

And I recommend you learn how to spell before come out with pompous statements like that, because it makes you look 100% dumb.
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM       
This is the guy I'm supposed to be nice to.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:50 PM       
Quote:
'I reccomend one of two things to make yourself seem 100% smarter.'

And I recommend you learn how to spell before come out with pompous statements like that, because it makes you look 100% dumb.
I'm sorry that I spelled a word incorrectly. Especially since the internet is such serious business. I swear on the graves of all the saints that I shall never again spell anything incorrectly while in the process of insulting your degrading sense of superiority to all homos.
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM       
Did you notice he edited his post? Probably because he spelled something wrong and was embarassed.

"And I recommend you learn how to spell before come out"

I recommend you learn how to use grammar before come out with stupid sentence.
Mocker
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM       
Quote:

Find the error in the quoted sentence and win Pharaoh's undying contempt! I mean, a prize, yeah a nice, shiny prize! Hint: what's the opposite of regressive?
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM       
Is it the error I pointed out before you posted? because if it is, i want the prize. Now.
Mocker
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM       
For identifying the failure to use progressive tense you win: a mummy's curse!

This prize stinks!
BANNED

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM       
I thought I would get a hat