Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM        Feral Children!
WIKIPEDIA:
Feral children may be separated from society by being lost or abandoned in the wild. The category also includes children who have been purposely kept apart from human society, e.g. kept in a room in solitary confinement. Sometimes abandonment is because of parents rejecting a child's severe intellectual impairment or physical disability, and some feral children experience severe child abuse or trauma before being abandoned.

Some myths and legends, and later many fictional stories depict feral children as having been reared by wild animals such as wolves or bears. Famous examples include Edgar Rice Burroughs's Tarzan and Rudyard Kipling's Mowgli, as well as the legend of Romulus and Remus.

Legendary and fictional feral children are often depicted as growing up with relatively normal human intelligence and skills and an innate sense of culture or civilization, coupled with a healthy dose of survival instincts; their integration into human society is made to seem relatively easy. In reality, however, feral children lack the basic social skills which are normally learned in the process of enculturation. For example, they may be unable to learn to use a toilet, have trouble learning to walk upright and display a complete lack of interest in the human activity around them. They often seem mentally impaired and have almost insurmountable trouble learning a human language. The subject is treated with a certain amount of realism in François Truffaut's 1970 film L'Enfant Sauvage (UK: The Wild Boy, US: The Wild Child), where a scientist's efforts in trying to rehabilitate a feral boy meet with great difficulty.

It is essentially impossible to convert a child who became isolated at a very young age into a relatively normal member of society. Such individuals need close care throughout their lives, if they are to live in human society. As they are "discovered", feral children also tend to become the subject of lively scientific and media interest. Once the excitement dies down and their limitations in terms of learning culture and social behaviour become obvious, frustration can set in and they often spend the rest of their lives being passed from one caregiver to another. It is common for them to die young, though obviously, their potential lifespan if they had been left in the wild is difficult to know.
---------------
THOUGTS?
unfortunately the wikipedia article kind of blows and i can't find much on the studies I have.

Basically though people who lack exposure to humans and human culture end up being animals. They can't learn language, or they learn only one or two extremely basic words, many walk on all fours... the ones who were just locked up are obviously different since they had human exposure-- they still end up being extremely limited though.
More interestingly, many of them have a great resistance to the weather, even while completely naked. They could stand out in a blizzard (exagerated) and feel perfectly at home. These are things you'd expect to be a natural reaction to the environment which are actually socialized.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM       
believe it or not I'm sure I posted this subject before.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM       
cool :O
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM       
Yeah, that article has a bunch of problems. Of course there have only really been two well-documented cases in the past 200 years. There was a little girl from LA in the 70's who grew up locked in a room and tied to a potty chair until she was 12. She (and in other accounts I've read the kid Vincent who inspired the truffaut movie) were considered remarkable for their relative ease versus say, a 2 year old, in acquiring vocabulary, but they never were able to develop appropriate syntax. Both of them were known to have a marked indifference to temperature (the girl preferred to draw her baths freezing cold).
BANNED

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM       
Yea i don't like that they talk more about the fictional accounts than the actual accounts ;/
on the page you can select individual cases but there's only one or two that are any good

the reason that girl learned language easily is because she was already exposed to human culture and language. There's apparantly other cases where they theoretically had no contact with anyone.
Supposedly plato ran some type of experiment where he asked the people who raised the child to never talk to them and it only learned one word.