Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:07 AM        Saddam's Gone. Now what?
Any ideas?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:19 AM       
Dancing in the street!

Uhhh...I'm all tapped out after that
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM       
Liberty.

Security.

Unity.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:10 AM       
YOU ARE SUCH A DORK

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:41 AM       
Iran.

North Korea.

Sirya.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:43 AM       
Well, I made myself a Wierd Al Special to celebrate. For those who weren't born in time:

Take a twinkie, slit it length wise, slap in a hotdog and cover it in E Z Cheez.

Now, politically, I intend to vote wisely on the next election and hopefully a candidate will be put forward who genuinely feels we are indebted to rebuilding countries and cultures which we have ruined. Certainly Alan Keyes will have my vote in the primaries providing he runs again. I have no faith in Bush pursuing another Marshall Plan. Everything about his administration points towards expedient measures which are more style than substance. The call for a war on terror, the razing of Afghanistan, the war in Iraq. Great strategies for uniting American's behind him, better headlines for inducing swelling popularity polls, but rather poor when taken in context with the final results.

About the only thing he has done right is ignore the signs of recession. A recession, as we all know, is a necessary liquidation process and any government interference with a recession prolongs it and makes it permanent. What must take place is a switch from capital goods and into consumer goods which means wage rates and capital goods prices have to fall causing a shift in resources to prop the wage rates back up - The New Deal, on the other hand, propped them up and protected them from falling, which totally destroyed the whole adjustment process and prolonged the depression permanently which is what happened in the 1930's.

Free market enterprise = good
Government interference = bad
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:34 AM       
Ronnie, that's great! Uhm... Beyond saying those thre words, you wouldn't have any thoughts at all you'd care to share about how to attain those goals?

'Cause I'd hate to see you actually say something that King W might then do the opposite of and you'd have to get all semantical to keep your head from blowing off by admitting one of you was wrong.

FS: That's so funny because it's so true.

As to what happens next? I said what I think WILL happen in my Chalabi and Kurd threads. What Should happen? In the very short term, every instant that goes by without us putting Doctors on the ground and ghetting their medical and sanitation facilities up an running is at best cruel and at worst criminal. We need to alleviate suffering now with our hands and not our weapons.

The long term. I have no idea at all. How do you encourage true democracy where there is such a long, long history of either dictatorship or Colonial rule? And how do we do it in a culture we have so liitle understanding of? Japan won't work as a model, because culturally they had a model of defeat, surrender and submission. Not that they enjoyed it, but there were structural moral codes of behavior to follow. Germany? Better, but still as Eurpoeans it's not like democracy had never been tried. This is entirely new ground and I wish I felt like our administration had given some serious thought to these issues, beyond Ronnies saying three words out loud.

I can think of all kinds of things we ought not do, but what we should do, now that we've toppled the regime? I haven't got a single damn clue.