Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM        I have found spirituality.
The Hermetic Path.

All of my philosophical awakenings lead directly towards this. My Humean/Stirnerite perspective logically leads towards this conclusion. This is my path. This is what I must follow for self-realization.

It should be noted that while the source lambasts the ego, Stirner's egoism is wholly compatable with it. For the ego, in Stirner's understanding, is the unique, and realizing the ego is to refute misappropriation, whereas the Hermetic conception of ego is unique which misappropriates, the unique which lacks cultivation and understanding.

Stirnerite annihilation and Humean metaphysics are merely stepping stones towards mastery of the Self.
Mocker
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM       
(IN RESPONSE TO CONCERNS OVER COMPATABILITY OF HUME AND HERMETICISM WITH STIRNER...)

Humean metaphysics is actually the denial of metaphysics. That is to say, all that is exists is that which is perceived.

In other words, the world is not made up of matter or ideas, physical or mental substance, but solely the perceptions we have.

I took Hume's basic concept and extended it farther; reality, or at least all that I can recognize as reality, is made up of the perceptions that I have. Only those thoughts which I have are thoughts that exist. The future and past do not exist, nor can I ever be certain that the past occured - I am only aware of my memory.

Hume also said that during introspection he looked for a Self, a coherent individual, but could only find a bundle of perceptions which he labels the Self. This is known as the bundle theory of the Self.

Hume also introduced the problem of induction to philosophy, showing that induction (and subsequently all of logic, in my view) suffers from a circular fallacy.

Now is a point where I should interject my own manner of thinking. Though Hume's argument inherently leads to the inference that any action could have any effect, I have found that I cannot override belief with mere rationality. I cannot know that other people think or that reality has a degree of constancy, but I believe it nonetheless. Belief takes on a characteristic of being independent of will.

Stirner meshes well with Humean perspectives because both are responsible for the destruction of intellectual hegemony. Stirner was correct to argue against the Self as a coherent universiality - Hume just puts it in another context.

Hermeticism, with an idealist worldview, considers all of reality as essentially mental. However, that is largely inconsequential: breaking down the mental substance to the phenomenal still leaves Hermetic rational predominantly intact. In fact, realizing that is the case is almost a Hermetic act itself, since the argument seems predominantly semantic.

Further, Hermeticism recognizes the transitory nature of the Self, and seeks to reform and reshape it into a new form: a form which, if you will, better suits the true ego (Stirner's ego). Surely, if Stirner were thoroughly consistent, he'd have to have understood that desires are not inherently constant, no matter how prone to stagnation they show themselves to be.

If nothing else, I would argue that Stirner advocated self-mastery.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM       
I see.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM       
It's a good thing you made that second post, Jack. I was just about to argue about the compatability of hermetics and striners.

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM       
like anyone cares about your philosophy, jerk
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM       
Listn to me, you cloying, narcisistic sack of crap: NO ONE HERE HAS CONCERNS OVER COMPATABILITY OF HUME AND HERMETICISM WITH STIRNER.!

NOT... ONE... PERSON!

Here's what you posted.

"I'm compeletly in love with myself and smarter than any of you."

You NEED to STOP.

You NEED to stop bveing such a HORRIBLE PERSON! Reality cannot sustain the weight of your awfullness. You are inches away from becoming such a megaweiner you will wink out of existence. Stop before you step outside the laws of physics!
Mocker
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM       
Hermeticists don't step outside the laws of physics: they use them as tools for inward enlightment.

I was trying to be amusing.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM       
Try harder, not everyone hates you yet.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM       
Thank God, I was almost worried.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM       
Listen Jack, you won't find yourself at the bottom of any of these books or in the words written or said by any of these quacks. The only place you're ever going to find yourself is here in this world. All of these theories are going to lead into other theories and condradict things you've said in the past which will collapse models of consciousness and destroy the fabric of of your psyche before you ever get the chance to see what it all could have made.

Stop being such a pretentious little fuckwad and go outside and live a little.

Maybe once you've had your own experiences, breakthroughs, and downfalls, you'll have something worthwhile to say about your own model of consciousness. Maybe. Until then, stop regurgitating whatever you can find that you think will make you sound like an intellectual. You just sound like a pansy faggot that I'd bitchslap about ten seconds into a conversation.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM       
"Hermeticists don't step outside the laws of physics: they use them as tools for inward enlightment.

I was trying to be amusing."

No. Stop lying to yourself. You were trying to say

"I know words and concepts you don't because I'm smarter than you. I'll pretend I think you know what I'm talking about because seeming to assume you know the concept when I'm pretty sure you don't makes me look even smarter, especially since I'm not even in college yet. You must be pretty impressed by how smart I am."

Barring that, you are so egocentric you donb't even realize you aren't talking to anyone bu yourself, because you are incapable of concieving of the existence of real, live, thinking people who aren't you.

And the sum total of what you are saying to yourself?

"I love me".
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM       
What validates a belief?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM       
Please do not feed the troll, Russo.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM       
I've actually studied pretty deeply into Hermetics, hermes trismegustus and alot of the associated work. Read the corpus hermeticum. Consider alchemy. If you read into any form of spirituality you'll hear the same story, really. Sometimes their techniques differ; geared more for their particular mindset or circumstance. Another thing you would probably enjoy reading is Thus spoke zarathustra, since it's plainly based on hermeticism, and the begining of the book sounds nearly identical to poimadres of the corpus hermeticus. I'm sure if you read deeply into hermetics reading neitzche will seem redundant.
"All" spiritual systems are the same. That is a pretty true statement.

I'd say more but I probably won't be coming back to read your reply, so I just suggest reading everything I just mentioned.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM       
NO

FUCK

GOD DAMNIT

STOP IT STOP IT FUCKING STOP IT.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM       
OAO, have you considered looking into Otherkinism? That seems right up your alley.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM       
I was thinking more along the lines of "ancient douchebaggery", but that's just a suggestion.
Mocker
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
OAO, have you considered looking into Otherkinism? That seems right up your alley.
Well, a friend of mine thinks I'm a psychic vampire.
spazboy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM       
a friend of mine thinks you're a psychic fuckwit =-o
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Well, a friend of mine thinks I'm a psychic vampire.
Psychic Vampire, eh? Maybe you should stop reading books altogether.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 12:52 PM       
Any chance your 'friend' will feel compelled to drive a spike through your head? That could be good.
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM       
Time to start wearing make up and fearing the daylight...

....Oh wait, that's what you do every day
Mocker
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:02 PM       
No.

As for psychic vamprism, the name alone sounds rediculous. I don't care whether I am or not, I don't want to be called that. Fucking hell.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM       
Have you found some solace, OaO, by simplifying a complex puzzle even though you have not found the answer you seem to be looking for?
Mocker
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM       
Yes.