Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

stevejobs is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:57 PM        goddamn.
Something called Quartz Extreme is built into osX, which is a transparancy layer that can use an idle video card to make truer, more realistic colors. Look at a presentation in Keynote, then look at one in PowerPoint.

IE for Mac is shit because it's made by Microsoft. It's the only program on osX that ever froze on me. Look at benchmarks for Safari, Apple's browser. Nothing is faster, and it's only v1.0.

Macs are faster. Look at any of the recent benchmarks, SPEC or otherwise. Clock speed does not equal performance, and it doesn't take much speed for a dual 64-bit G5 to beat any P4. On the laptop side, the G4 runs more coolly and thus can be set faster than x86s in a small enclosure.

Not only is the software more user-friendly, it's seamless. Ever used Word with IE? They work together pretty well, editing Word text in IE text fields and writing HTML in Word. This is how it is with every application Apple makes for osX and with most third-party vendors. That's the point of osX - seamlessness. No programs are "hard" to run, and nothing is extensively slow, except maybe MS Office v.X.

A USB mouse is a USB mouse. Apple uses USB mice. Apple mice can have one button, two buttons, eight buttons, whatever.

You installed osX in high school? So I assume that was at least a year ago. osX was in beta from 97 to 2000. Functional issues were resolved with 10.1, and speed was optimized with 10.2, which came out about six months ago. 10.3 is to be released before the end of the year, which is reported by beta testers to be much snappier. You're judging a OS that wasn't finished yet, but if you use Windows, I guess that's what you're used to.

osX is not Unix. osX is built on Unix, like a few other OSs, with Darwin, Aqua, Cocoa, Carbon, etc. developed by Apple on top. osX is thorough, and that's the premium you pay with Apple, along with only the highest quality parts. Dell is cheaper because Dell is Wal-Mart. For most people, Apple is a luxury computer.

Uninformed opinions piss me off.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM        Re: goddamn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejobs
Something called Quartz Extreme is built into osX, which is a transparancy layer that can use an idle video card to make truer, more realistic colors. Look at a presentation in Keynote, then look at one in PowerPoint.
marketing hype.

Quote:
IE for Mac is shit because it's made by Microsoft. It's the only program on osX that ever froze on me. Look at benchmarks for Safari, Apple's browser. Nothing is faster, and it's only v1.0.
I have had shitloads of things lock up on osx.

Quote:
Macs are faster. Look at any of the recent benchmarks, SPEC or otherwise. Clock speed does not equal performance, and it doesn't take much speed for a dual 64-bit G5 to beat any P4. On the laptop side, the G4 runs more coolly and thus can be set faster than x86s in a small enclosure.
If apple knew how to properly benchmark a p4 system maybe they would get the right results. Of course if you were so well informed you would have read all over the internet that they did use any of the p4 optimizations like hyperthreading, while the mac has an unrealeased specialy made kernel. Even if the g5 could beat the p4 that was tested(big speculation). there are new amd and intel processors coming out everyday. sorry buddy even if the mac was faster it would be slower in a matter of weeks, hell i would like to see comparisons now of the amd fx 51 and the p4 extreme edition which are out right now. and watch it get destroyed.

Quote:
Not only is the software more user-friendly, it's seamless. Ever used Word with IE? They work together pretty well, editing Word text in IE text fields and writing HTML in Word. This is how it is with every application Apple makes for osX and with most third-party vendors. That's the point of osX - seamlessness. No programs are "hard" to run, and nothing is extensively slow, except maybe MS Office v.X.
Gee I dont have any problems figuring out my pc software. but then again maybe i am not a moron. Sure maybe the mac can make it so a 5 year old can understand it, too bad i am not a 5 year old.

Quote:
A USB mouse is a USB mouse. Apple uses USB mice. Apple mice can have one button, two buttons, eight buttons, whatever.
true. but it would be nice if apple wouldnt assume that people are too stupid to use more than one button and actually package these things with decent mice.

Quote:
You installed osX in high school? So I assume that was at least a year ago. osX was in beta from 97 to 2000. Functional issues were resolved with 10.1, and speed was optimized with 10.2, which came out about six months ago. 10.3 is to be released before the end of the year, which is reported by beta testers to be much snappier. You're judging a OS that wasn't finished yet, but if you use Windows, I guess that's what you're used to.
I worked at a computer lab that used osx on some g4s. Perhaps they werent configured correctly, but they ran like shit. They crashed more than the dell systems there and that is saying alot. Lets face it system configuration has alot to do with the stability pc and mac alike.

Quote:
osX is not Unix. osX is built on Unix, like a few other OSs, with Darwin, Aqua, Cocoa, Carbon, etc. developed by Apple on top. osX is thorough, and that's the premium you pay with Apple, along with only the highest quality parts. Dell is cheaper because Dell is Wal-Mart. For most people, Apple is a luxury computer.
Dell also makes a wide variety of systems. They actaully make some lower end systems that are affordable. Some may not have the best parts while other use the top of the line parts. At least with a pc you can have minimal knowledge to replace and upgrade your systems. You are pretty damn limited on a mac.

Luxury computer? LOL

Quote:
Uninformed opinions piss me off.
You sure sound like you know everything

I dont think macs suck, but I do think that it is pointless to get one these days considering price, compatibility, and upgradability, that is unless you are a moron.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:59 PM       
I think that Macs suck, and that's after 12 years of beating my head against them in school.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM       
Quote:
the G4 runs more coolly
WELL, I'M CONVINCED
Oh God
Gurlugon is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:29 PM       
I like teh stellar Macintoshes. I'm using one right now. It works just fine for everything. I've never had lock-ups. Need to buy some more RAM for the thing, but it's good nonetheless.

Safari sucks. I loved it, but it stopped working for one site I need to visit very often (I moderate there, it's a phpBB forum), so I'm using MSIE.

For the record, using Macs in school only doesn't let you appreciate them. I thought OS 8 and OS 9 sucked, but they're not the standard anymore; try OS X (Panther's coming out two Fridays from now), and I think you'll li... well, it'll suck less.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:34 PM       
Using Macs 3 out of 5 hours at school for 2 years in high school lets me appreciate them plenty... as DOORSTOPS.