Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM        the band i'm in
has just finished its DEBUT EP and put up some .mp3's on http://www.cinemachocolat.com

i play bass and backup vocals. mmm i'm generally more into sampled fake music that computers make but this stuff is fun SO THERE FARTINMOWLER TEAR IT TO SHREDS!!!!!!!!
slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM       
D I R T Y me like...

I'm waiting for the second one to download. If it's as good as the first, I'll be sure to rip them onto a comp and take it to work and irritate the shit out of my coworkers (those fuckers).

Keep up the good work.

Constructive criticism would be, I think you buried the drums at parts. Maybe it's all programmed anyway?
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM       
hey thanks a lot for taking the time man

dirty and raw sounding is totally what we were going for...

nope nothing is programmed though, all 'real' ;p thanks for the tip on the drums.. didn't notice it myself until you mentioned it... i gave it another listen and i think you're dead on... after hearing these tracks repeatedly it's so hard to be objective we're all kinda new to the recording/mixing/mastering stage so this is kinda best effort on our part with a budget of zero + some audio warez... we wanted to hire somebody to do it but we're all pretty fucking broke - maybe next time!
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM       
1) I like how you ripped off the bass-riff to the English Beat's "Mirror in the Bathroom."

2) Its all ok, but it feels like I've heard it before etc. Nothing really groundbreaking. But it sounds pretty good.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:25 PM       
interesting name. fun music. nice work!
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:42 AM       
Hehe, that was enjoyable!

You seriously need to turn up the snare drum...cant hear it at all on the warlords song.

and change your name

rainbowbrite is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM       
i do bass and back up vocals in my band too
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:44 PM       
Were you the one that ripped the riff off?
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:59 PM       
RT:

1) I didn't write any of the music. I've never heard of the band you're talking about and neither has my roommate (who wrote it). Therefore they ripped us off.

2)

sadie: Thanks

Dole: I agree on all counts.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:33 PM       
soundtest: That's good stuff, man! I dig very much. As far as production goes, I agree with Dole; the only part of the drums you can hear are the cymbals. Other than that, it's really good. You guys sound tight.

Royal, shut the fuck up. You are the biggest music snob I've ever seen. Every time you talk about music, I want to bash your head in with a tire iron. Until you post some original music here, keep your mouth shut.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:53 PM       
Agreed, sspad. Especially since he's the kind of guy who will highly praise a commercial whore pop band like Weezer and still claim both good taste and indie status.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Let me change that: "...and still claim both good taste and criticize others'."
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM       
Early Weezer is fucking awesome. I don't give a shit about their later stuff, but no one can deny that early Weezer was fun and catchy. Also, I claim no such 'indie status.' At least 90% of my cds are released by major labels.

Also, sspad, pull the tire iron out of your ass first and fucking listen to the song they ripped off. Exact same fucking riff. So clean out your ears and fucking accept the fact that bands rip people off, you fucking douche bag.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:40 AM       
All bands rip people off, dildo. Just because it may sound like one of the MILLIONS of bands in existence doesn't mean they ripped them off. Music is limited. There are twelve fucking notes. Something is bound to sound like something else at some point. Which distracts from the point the you ARE a music snob, and an irritating one at that. The fact is, you were looking for an opportunity to rip into these guys, and you took it. Again, if you know so much, and I know you profess to be a guitar player, post something out here for people to tear into, and see how you feel about it. Until then, as they say on the intarweb, STFU.

Pricks like you are the reason the RIAA still exerts so much power. You're willing to dig what's already out there, and rip on the new people who are trying. Oh, and Radiohead are fucking overrated self-indulgent weirdos.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:12 AM       
thanks sspad

anyway RT, like i said, we've never heard of this band you speak of (at least consciously) so if it is a rip-off, it's far from deliberate, like you so imply. also, i never claimed this shit to be 'original' in any way, shape or form. but ya - post some of your music. i would love to hear this unbelievably original creation of yours broadcast from the pedestal you stand on. something tells me you won't though...
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:44 AM       
[quote="Royal Tenenbaum"]Early Weezer is fucking awesome. I don't give a shit about their later stuff, but no one can deny that early Weezer was fun and catchy. Also, I claim no such 'indie status.' At least 90% of my cds are released by major labels./quote]

Fun and catchy, says the guy who thinks Nickelback sucks. If catchy is your standard, you tell me what was wrong with Leader of Men or Breathe.

All pop-rock tunes are fun and catchy. That's why they're pop-rock. Define your standards better.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:41 AM       
Nickelback sucks because they are neither fun nor interesting in any way, and they are overplayed to a degree that a band that medicore should not be. Everyone that knows their asshole from a speaker can tell you that. Plus, every single one of their songs sounds the same, even fans of the band admit it.

sspad, my point is that the bass riff is identical. I don't care if bands rip off other bands all the time, the fucking riff is exactly same.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM       
HEY ROYAL TENNENBAUM are you uploading some of your COMPLETELY ORIGINAL music or what?

or is your big dick getting smaller and oh shit better backtrack sidestep cuz really i have no music of my own well not yet but when it is ready.. NO when the WORLD is ready it will be perfect.... like the beatles... but completely different and original but you understand i know they understand and then they will ALL KNOW yes they will ALL FINALLY SEE but until then fuck let's just pretend nobody said anything about my music it's not ready oh but it will be
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:23 PM       
NO! I never claimed that I was a good musician at all. So fucking what? If I was going to make music I definitely wouldn't rip off well known bass riffs. Seriously, you ask people's opinions, you get them, even if they aren't professional musicians. I am a music fan, I feel like I have a fairly good knowledge of music, and I don't think I have to be able to play or write to criticize.

"Pricks like you are the reason the RIAA still exerts so much power. You're willing to dig what's already out there, and rip on the new people who are trying. Oh, and Radiohead are fucking overrated self-indulgent weirdos."

No, see I love musicians that are trying something new; I buy lots of new music and I try my best to support the artists I love by buying their CDs, vinyls, and seeing them play likve. This recording in question was not original, in fact it was plagiarized. Therefore it has nothing to do with me questioning or ripping on people who are trying something new. They are trying though, which is great, but they should at least own up and admit they ripped off that riff. And, why the fuck would I care what you think about Radiohead? I know they are good, I know that KID A is one of the greatest albums ever, and I know they are starting to suck.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:46 PM       
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Scroll to the bottom and you can hear this riff we ripped off. Guess we just changed the key its in, the time, and a couple of notes huh?
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM       
You guys are pretty damn good. And Royal has always been an ass.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
Took a listen Soundtest, the first thing that came to my mind is that the drumers need to be mixed better. I can't hear the snare or the bass drum half of the time, but other people already mentioned that. Keep up the good work otherwise.

And don't worry about Royal Tool (as Boogie would say), he's the Vinth of opinions on pretty much anything related to the entertainment industry.
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:10 AM       
we played our third show last night... the first two shows we played the only people who really came were our friends... this show we charged a $5 cover (our drummer's idea since he organized it... i was TOTALLY against this... i thought it'd be fucking bare because the last two shows were free) and between 70-80 people came and we sold 30 of our mini-cd's

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:06 AM       
I'm in an audio engineering course now. :> I have protools and could mix it ;>
Captain Bukakke
Tropical is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:57 AM       
Hey soundy, how's the Hum Ga Ling going? I look forward the most to that
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM       
Chojin: oooooo i just may take you up on that when/if we re-record these songs and make new ones. i'm just the bass player so it's not totally up to me but i don't see why they wouldn't want to. very generous offer man, thanks :>

Tropical: the remix of hum ga ling will be with my baby project CHUNGKING MANSIONS ;> that i have absolutely no time for right now with work and school and this other band... school will be done soon though so then i should be able to get serious... chungking mansions will be completely different from this stuff... more like the stuff i had on sound-test.org but with additional live instruments and vocals... well that's the plan anyway... but ya when hum ga ling is remixed you will be the first to hear it and see how badly this guailo butchers cantonese!! ;>

i may harass you for help/advice with chungking mansions too chojin ;>