Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM        Baby ipod playlist.
So this stroller that my parents got, it's got a snap container near the handlebar for an mp3 player. Seriously, you put the mp3 player in the container, plug that sumbitch in and there are speakers down near the seat that deliver music to the baby. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. The stroller isn't even that expensive.

Well, what the hell. We got a cheapie 4 gig memorex and I figure I might as well ensure that there's no KidzBop going on here, I want her to grow up with some taste. Now I need a baby playlist.

I want to do a big mix of everything, from classical (Vivaldi and Mozart mostly) to whatever. Ramones are a given. I'm going to stay away from death metal or anything especially distressing/depressing for the time being.

I'm taking suggestions.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM       
I would suggest Steel Panther for my own amusement. But I don't think you are looking to teach your baby about tongue-in-cheek sex driven hair metal parody bands. So my serious recommendation would be throw in a song or two by Yes. Maybe "I've seen all good people", "Starship Trooper", "Going for the one", or "Roundabout".
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM       
I had Mozart tapes as a kid. I think it's responsible for my love for music.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM       
Simon & Garfunkel? I know what I like but I'm not sure what would be best for an infant. Maybe something in a foreign language.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM       
Peter and the Wolf (Prokofiev), Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saëns), The Nutcracker Suite (Tchaikovsky) are all kid-friendly classics.
You may already be there.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM       
Dude, Peter and the Wolf is great. So is Peer Gynt. I always loved In the Hall of the Mountain King.

And I'm not suggesting music because it's gonna make your kid smarter. It's just... more melodic, and probably easier on a kid than the Sex Pistols or Iron Maiden. Music with lyrics are a bit lost on a mind made of jello.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM       
I would think Simon and Garfunklel would be a good choice for similar reasons I would choose Yes. Vocally Simon and Garfunkel are very pleasant, just like Yes is instrumentally pleasant. I would go with complex pieces that are good examples of their genre. Xanadu by Rush would be a good synthesized rock piece, YYZ by Rush would be a good complex guitar piece (though the baby might react poorly to electric guitars, they might sound scary to them)
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM       
That's a good one.

I also remember from my childhood Electric Light Orchestra. It doesn't get any better feeling than them.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Dude, Peter and the Wolf is great. So is Peer Gynt. I always loved In the Hall of the Mountain King.
I Grieg. I remember seeing "The Song of Norway" when I was a young'un. Good stuff!
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM       
MUDDAFUKIN TOM PETTY

And toddlers love the hell out of Enya, for some reason
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM       
The Beatles always makes kids happy, I think it's Ringo's simple drumming.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM       
MASTODON: CRACK THE SKYE

IT'S ABOUT RASPUTIN AND A PARAPALEGIC SO IT'S EDUCATION AND SHIT
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM       
cocteau twins. the vocals are complete gibberish

get it?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM       
How do you feel about Jazz?
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
The Beatles always makes kids happy, I think it's Ringo's simple drumming.
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
I also remember from my childhood Electric Light Orchestra. It doesn't get any better feeling than them.
Not a bad idea, but be careful on this one. Go with something light and fun, like 'Mr. Blue Sky' or the very obscure 'One Summer Dream' and steer clear of their well done instrumental 'Fire on High' only because the weird sounding beginning is scary to adults even so I can't imagine how it would effect a baby.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM       
Just grab the Greatest Hits and you'll be alright.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM       
all good suggestions. Jazz is fine.

Keep it coming, I have 4 gigs.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM       
colma by buckethead
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM       
NO! by They Might Be Giants
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:56 PM       
they might be giants are very educational music
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM       
Branford Marsalis
Eric Clapton
B.B. King
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM       
George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in the Blue."

I love Chuck Berry's Deep Feeling, Low Feeling and Blue Feeling compositions, Low Feeling being my favorite. They're real laid back compared to Berry's other music.

Rodrigo y Gabriella, I love those flamenco guitars but your baby might not have a taste for them.

Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil."

Ozzy Osbourne's "Momma I'm Coming Home."
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM       
^^^
A lot of old Grateful Dead would be good. American Beauty and Workingman's Dead would be 2 albums to consider.

Elvis Costello
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas View Post
Ozzy Osbourne's "Momma I'm Coming Home."
One of his best.

If you are amenable to modern-ish jazz fusion, try Pat Metheny. He's rather eclectic, but his music is generally upbeat with complex rhythmic structure and interesting melodies. Two albums to try are "Speaking of Now" and "Letter from Home".
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:30 AM       
Kidz Bop version of Frank Zappa's greatest hits including Catholic Girls.